General Confusion!

Hi all,

I am sorry as this is a discussion that has no doubt been discussed many times but I am confused!

MFP has me set to 1,690 calories. My BMR is roughly 1,700 calories. My fitbit says that I burn roughly 2000 calories a day. (Thats on a bad day.) I think my TDEE (or what ever it is called) has me at roughly 2000 a day,

What is the recommended calorie deficit everyday to loose weight? I haven't been as strict with my calories as I should have been recently, but surely it doesnt make that much of a difference.

I am so confused by all these numbers. :-/

Replies

• EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    I would say stick to what MFP has set you at, it seems reasonable. You shouldnt eat below your BMR and eating 10-20% less than your TDEE is a good starting point.

I also think if your BMR is 1700 your TDEE will be much higher than 2000, unless you do absolutely no exercise/walking/cleaning each day.
    Maybe have a look at www.fat2fitradio.com/tools to work out your BMR and it will give you an idea for how many calories you should eat depending on your exercise/activity level.

Some people like to average out their exercise cals through the week and eat a little more each day, I like to eat my BMR and any exercise cals I burn that day which is the way MFP suggests.

Just try out a few different numbers, stick with each for 3/4weeks before writing them off and see how you go. Its trial and error until you find the number that works for you :-) Good luck xx
  • Pinkemi
    Pinkemi Posts: 937 Member
    See this is what I don't understand. Everyone says you shouldnt eat below your BMR... but MFP has my calorie goal set at BELOW my BMR.

Websites tell me that my BMR is 1773.9.calories a day... yet MFP has me set at 1690 calories a day. If I shouldnt be eating below my BMR then why does MFP set me to that? and thats for a 1lb loss a week.
  • cugglybear
    cugglybear Posts: 36 Member
    I am confused too, and would appreciate advice. The more I read about BMR's and TDEE's the more confused I get. Please could someone sort me out!

The facts are -

Female
    Age -51
    SW - 231lbs
    MFP = daily calories - 1310
    Exercise about 350-400 calories 3-4 times a week
    According to Scooby - BMR -1697, TDEE - 2631, TDEE(-15%)-2236

So, I have all the figures but I don't know what to do with them!

What I want to know is -

1. How much do I eat on exercise days

2. How much do I eat on non-exercise days.

Thanks
  • wellbur
    wellbur Posts: 240 Member
    Yes i'm confused to:

I will be interested to see the answer to your question Cugglybear
  • priyac1987
    priyac1987 Posts: 115 Member
    At least im not the only one confused. I dont even know what my BMR or TDEE is!?
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    MFP isn't very intelligent when it comes to calorie allowances. My BMR is about 1350, and MFP sets me at 1200 if I want to lose 2lbs a week. Even this isn't quite right (not quite enough of a deficit), but thankfully MFP doesn't recommend anyone to eat below 1200. The bottom line is that 2lbs a week is too ambitious for me, as I am very near my goal weight... but MFP will try, within reason, to get me there anyway, if that is what I am asking of it.

I'd say if you know what you want your calorie goal to be (ie: not less than your BMR) then set it yourself. I've set my own calories and macro ratios, and am doing a lot better for it!
  • priyac1987
    priyac1987 Posts: 115 Member
    See this is what I don't understand. Everyone says you shouldnt eat below your BMR... but MFP has my calorie goal set at BELOW my BMR.

Websites tell me that my BMR is 1773.9.calories a day... yet MFP has me set at 1690 calories a day. If I shouldnt be eating below my BMR then why does MFP set me to that? and thats for a 1lb loss a week.

My BMR is 1655 and MFP has set my calories to 1200!! thats 400 cals less then my BMR and probably an explanation as to why im not really loosing much!! Im going to try eating a bit more than my BMR for 2 weeks and see how it goes!
  • Okay, I'll give this a go......

To work out your BMR, the calculation is:
    655 + (4.3 × weight in pounds) + (4.7 × height in inches) − (4.7 × age in years) - This is for a female.

66 + (6.3 × body weight in pounds) + (12.9 × height in inches) − (6.8 × age in years)

Your BMR is what you use when you do absolutely NO ACTIVITY AT ALL. Basically, this is what you would use if you didn't get up out of bed.

For me, my BMR is 1482. So if I just woke up and sat on the couch all day, I would use 1482 calories to stay alive.

Obviously, we do not just wake up and do nothing all day. We go to work, we walk around we play etc. Depending on our day to day activity, we select the next number:

a. Sedentary Physical Activity Level
    Do you have a desk job or do some other kind of work that keeps you in your chair for most of the day? If the answer is yes, your score is 1.1.

b. Light Physical Activity Level
    Are you on your feet and walking around for at least half the day? Stay-at-home moms, salespeople, and doctors fall into this category. If this is you, your score is 1.2.

c. Moderate Physical Activity Level
    If you're on the move pretty much all day, with a few limited periods of being sedentary, this is the level for you. People in this category include gardeners, carpenters, and mail carriers. If you're in this category, your score is 1.3.

d. High Physical Activity Level
    Does your job require being constantly on the move, and does it entail significant amounts of manual labor? Construction workers, farm workers, and movers are among those who land in this category. If you're in this group, your score is 1.4.

For me, I have a Sedentary Physical Activity Level. I take this number and I multiply it to my BMR.
    1482 * 1.1 = 1630
    Now multiply this by 7 and you have your weekly calorie allowance to maintain the weight you currently are.
    1630 * 7 = 11410

Everyone here has mentioned they are physically active, which means you have another number to factor in to work out your AMR (Active metabolic rate). This is your excercise expenditure.

I do on average 300 calories a day when I go to the gym 5 days a week. Multiply this and you have your weekly expenditure.
    300 * 5 = 1500

Now, add it all together
    11410 + 1500 = 12910

Take this number and divide it by 7.
    12910 / 7 = 1844
    This gives me my daily eating allowance. If I ate 1844 calories per day I would maintain my current weight. So, in order to lose a 1lbs a week, I minus 500 calories per day.
    1844 - 500 = 1344 calories per day.

1344 is now my magic number and has taken into consideration my BMR, my activity level and my exercise expenditure level.
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    I am confused too, and would appreciate advice. The more I read about BMR's and TDEE's the more confused I get. Please could someone sort me out!

The facts are -

Female
    Age -51
    SW - 231lbs
    MFP = daily calories - 1310
    Exercise about 350-400 calories 3-4 times a week
    According to Scooby - BMR -1697, TDEE - 2631, TDEE(-15%)-2236

What I want to know is -

Thanks

You want to eat 2236 EVERY DAY, whether you work out or not. The second "rule" is never NET less than BMR. So, on your homepage you only want to look at the food number and the NET number. If you ever see that NET gets is less than 1697 you need to eat until you get back up to that number.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    MrsBunnyBaby...I just printed off your reply. You did a wonderful job of explaining.
  • wellbur
    wellbur Posts: 240 Member
    Could someone please confirm my calories, i worried i've got it wrong and i don't want to put on weight

Female
    Age -47
    SW - 133.2lbs
    MFP = daily calories - 1200
    Exercise about 200-300 calories 3-4 times a week
    According to Scooby - BMR -1322, TDEE - 1818, TDEE(-15%)-1545

What I want to know is -