Sausage & Peppers

Options
jessneill
jessneill Posts: 380 Member
I threw this together last night. It was quick and soooo yummy.

1 package Foster Farms Italian Turkey Sausage
2 Sweet red peppers
1 Sweet yellow pepper
1/2 sweet onion
Fennel seed
Italian seasoning
salt

Spray pan with nonstick cooking spray. Put the sausage in a large pan over medium heat. Cook covered for 10 minutes.

Cut peppers and onions into slices.

Sprinkel fennel in the bottom of the pan so it can cook. That brings out the flavor. Put pepper and onion slices over the top. Sprinkle as much italian seasoning and salt over them as you like. I'm a big fennel lover so I put even more on the peppers. Cook covered for another ten minutes. Stir up the sausage and pepers so the peppers now move to the bottom of the pan and cook covered for another ten minutes. Uncover and cook for another 5 till most of the jucies evaporate.

You can adjust your time on cooking the peppers according to how done you like them. The sausage will be cooked after 20 minutes.

1 Sausage and 1/4 of the pepper onion mixture
Calories 197, Carbs 14, fat 9, protein 16

These would be great served with mashed cauliflower too or even with a side of whole wheat pasta! smile:

Replies

• jessneill
    Options
    I threw this together last night. It was quick and soooo yummy.

1 package Foster Farms Italian Turkey Sausage
    2 Sweet red peppers
    1 Sweet yellow pepper
    1/2 sweet onion
    Fennel seed
    Italian seasoning
    salt

Spray pan with nonstick cooking spray. Put the sausage in a large pan over medium heat. Cook covered for 10 minutes.

Cut peppers and onions into slices.

Sprinkel fennel in the bottom of the pan so it can cook. That brings out the flavor. Put pepper and onion slices over the top. Sprinkle as much italian seasoning and salt over them as you like. I'm a big fennel lover so I put even more on the peppers. Cook covered for another ten minutes. Stir up the sausage and pepers so the peppers now move to the bottom of the pan and cook covered for another ten minutes. Uncover and cook for another 5 till most of the jucies evaporate.

You can adjust your time on cooking the peppers according to how done you like them. The sausage will be cooked after 20 minutes.

1 Sausage and 1/4 of the pepper onion mixture
    Calories 197, Carbs 14, fat 9, protein 16

These would be great served with mashed cauliflower too or even with a side of whole wheat pasta! smile:
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I'll have to try that this week. Thanks.

A variation on this, something I do, is Bratwursts cooked on the grill. I then take two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and put it into a large pan and add two large onions sliced into rings, Red and Yellow peppers pan cooked to tenderness. Total calorie value is about 240 for two brats and all the onions and peppers you can eat.

If you need a condiment for the brats I recommend mustard instead of ketchup and mayonnaise.
  • jessneill
    Options
    I love to grill too, and don't even get me started with Brats! I hadn't realized they were so low in calories. I'll have to add some into the menu, and of coure the only way to eat them is with mustard!:smile: