Getting a personal trainer?

Options
I am thinking about getting a personal trainer to lose fat and inches off my body..I have got about 10 kgs to lose...

Is it worth the cost or should I stick with cardio and weight training at the gym myself?

Replies

• herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about getting a personal trainer to lose fat and inches off my body..I have got about 10 kgs to lose...

Is it worth the cost or should I stick with cardio and weight training at the gym myself?

If you feel that you have the motivation and the resources to stay on track, don't waste the money. However, if motivation is hard for you and figuring out how to train your body, then it's totally worth the dough.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Personally, I say do it. I lost 30 pounds and 6 sizes under trainer guidance.. along with doing cardio on my own and MFP.

I know for a fact that if I had done it on my own, I wouldn't have strength trained as intensely as I do with my trainer(in fact, I prob. wouldn't have done it at all!) and I prob. would't look as good as I currently do.
  • rubytOU
    rubytOU Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I go to a training gym where they do small group personal training and I think it's totally worth the extra money that I'm paying. At least for me because until i figure out what the hell i'm actually "supposed" to do at the gym I'll never go anywhere else. i just show up and dont have to think about my workout at all. Plus they are there to correct my form if I'm slacking or "getting tired".... I'm in better shape than I've ever been.

good luck with your decision.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago I had PT once a week for about 6 months, I lost about 28lbs. I wish I could afford it at the moment.
    If you can - Go for it!
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I actually met a personal trainer at a party last weekend, I may hire him for weight training/kick boxing lessons. I know I can do cardio on my own, but it's the weights that I really don't know too much about and I want to get into it.
  • jennieh1980
    jennieh1980 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'd highyl recommend it, getting a PT is the best thing I've ever done. It is expensive but then over the years I've wasted so much money paying for gym memberships but then not going. He's great. He pushes me a lot, far more than I would on my own. He changes the exercises a lot so my body doesn't get used to what I'm doing and he also does me a food plan too.
    The other thing which I find for me personally is that because I've agreed to meet someone at certain time I always turn up regardless of how I feel because I don't want to let him down whereas if I just had to rely on myself going to the gym I always give up after a couple of weeks. And its someone to chat to whilst your exercising too.
    Really helps to keep me focused.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I love mine. He's my second. The first one was a disaster. Arrange to meet the person for lunch to 'interview' each other. Make sure that your goals are congruent with his or her training style.

I am working with my second trainer, and I adore him. I see him twice a week for an hour, and he's $30 an hour--he's independent and not connected with a gym. For me, it's worth it and I've seen great results. I'm doing things I never would have done before had he not been there to guide me.

A trainer isn't necessary, but for me, it was the right choice.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I started working out with a personal trainer 18 months ago.
    I sure had a goal of losing a certain amount of weight. In fact I wanted to lose another 32 kgs on top of the 8 I had already lost before I hired him, and I had set the timer to August ( 6 weeks from now). The goal was quite realistic, losing the recommended lb per week.
    I'm far from my goal, instead of the 40 total kgs, I have "only" lost 26 kgs, but I have lost clothing sizes really fast, and gained a bunch of self confidence and strength. I know with this speed, I will have to work another year or 2 maybe to reach my initial goal, so 3-4 years instead of the planned 2. But I actually don't know if I really still want to lose that number on the scale. As I built up muscles, my weight and body relation isn't the same anymore and I might well feel comfortable at a higher weight than I had planned.

This is just to tell you that the weight you want to lose might not fall off very fast, but your body might change a lot during that time.
    I'm really happy that I spent the money on my personal trainer (and still do and will continue) and I'd recommend it to anybody who's able to afford it!
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with my trainer. He is seriously hardcore while we are training! On the other hand I did just buy my first pair of size 8 jeans since high school.... I know for a fact that I couldn't have done that without his guidance and training!

SN: Yes, I do cardio on my own.... but he has definitely given me many pointers in that area as well!
  • athminbri
    athminbri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have only been on this journey for a month, but have had a PT twice. I am also thinking of starting weekly sessions with her. She has given me so much more advice than just on weight training. In fact, yesterday she saw me on the elliptical and came over to ask if everything was ok. I had a really bad day with personal issues and almost started crying. She basically gave me a pep talk and told me to "sweat it out." I ended up doing a more intense workout than I usually do and before she talked to me I was thinking of just going home.

She also pushes me to make me see exactly what I can do. I had been doing 15 second planks on my knees (thinking I was going to die from them). I had a session with her, and she made me do 30 second planks on my feet. I probably would not have even tried that for another couple of weeks if she hadn't pushed me.

I highly recommend a personal trainer to anyone that can afford one. You just need to find one that you click with. I could never have a trainer that yells at you like Jillian. Some people may need/want that though.
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My experience with PTs depended largely on the PT. I was with a few that were really kind of...not at all focused, until I found one that I liked. Once I was with a PT who paid attention to my form, corrected me, told me to quit wimping out and try harder - then I was extremely motivated and saw results.

When I first started my weight loss journey, a friend and I went in on a PT at the gym we joined. Basically split the cost for the hour and both worked with him. That definitely helped cost-wise and, after we found one we liked, we stayed with him for about a year. It was great for us because we were ultra n00bs. We learned how to properly use the machines, proper form for lifting, how to break-up muscle groups for scheduled routines, and how to concentrate on the muscle groups we were supposed to be working on for each session (ie, not flexing your neck when doing shoulders, don't tense your quads when doing decline abs, etc...) and about the differences and benefits between circuit training, HIIT, standard cardio. After a year, we had enough knowledge and the drive to learn more to do it without the PT. :)

So, if you can foot the cost and get a good one - definitely worth it.