how to do this, please help

Options
good morning!

I'll try not to blather on about my failings when it comes to losing weight..long story short..I've been overweight for too long and I have tried many diets unsuccessfully. I finally stumbled accross an article that said, "it's the calories stupid" soo, I joined MFP. My question is, is everyone here just counting calories? or are you doing something in addition to it? I've tried all the fad diets..south beach.atkins... I couldnt stick to them for long and it made my stomach feel wretched. any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am starting to think that everyone thinks I'm all talk, and that I'll never lose this weight.

Replies

• nicoletarobu
    Options
    hello.i am in the same situation so any advice would be welcome.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    How long have you been using MFP? Why dont you try just counting calories for a month, and see how it works for you?

(Everyone is different, some are more sensitve to carbs than others, so you do really need to give a fair trial to something and then decide if it works or not. But yes, many people on here are just counting calories)
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm just counting calories. I've been here since May 20th and I've lost almost 17 pounds now. However, I agree try it for a week or two and see if it works for you. Good luck.
  • joannafarrer
    Options
    I agree, try it and see. Do remember, though, that what makes up the calories is so important. Try to eat mainly nutritious, good calories and don't waste your allowance on rubbish (though obviously give yourself treats now and again - we all need that!). Eating decent food usually means you can consume far more for your allowance too, which means you are less likely to feel hungry and start cheating. Nothing worked for me before (couldn't stick to anything), but using MFP - AND EXERCISING!!! - is doing it for me,f or the first time in my life. Good luck!
  • kinghavok
    kinghavok Posts: 104
    Options
    Yes it is about calorie counting, see how it goes then move on to calorie counting and a slow walk 100% agree with Joanna
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I started out just counting calories. Once I felt I had that down, I started focusing on some of my macros. For example, I know I stay full longer when I get a little more protein than what MFP suggests and I watch my sodium because I don't feel good if I get too much.

Once you feel comfortable with counting calories, then you can start tweaking your macros. Small steps are easier to maintain than giant leaps.
  • 140lbgoal
    140lbgoal Posts: 19
    Options
    I started counting carbs on June 4th and I weighed 204 pounds. Today I weigh 186 and I feel so good! I am never hungry and rarely crave anything. I make ice coffee with sweetener if I want something sweet and it works for me. I have started exercising 5 nights a week, just walking and some weight lifting. I never thought I could do this because I have a heart condition. I don't eat after 8:30pm and I work until 2:30 am. I am not hungry nor do I snack when I get off work. Forget the kitchen after a certain time in the evening. Less TV too because commercials are dangerous for us...lol I try to think of junk food as poison and really it is if you think about it.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I count calories (I calculated my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and subtracted 15% from that calorie estimate - as I don't have mush to lose - to lose fat) and stay within macros I set for myself, which is 50/25/25 (50% carbs, 25% proteins and 25% fats). I try to get between those ratios and 40/30/30. I exercise regularly, too. Diets don't work because they're temporary. To lose weight and keep it off and be healthier, you really need a lifestyle change. That means moving more and eating more healthily. You need to pay attention to what you're putting in your body.
    You don't have to stop eating certain food groups, or stop eating at a certain time of day. You don't have to ban all "bad" foods. You just need to fuel your body properly and move around.

Edited to explain better.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Counting calories has worked for me. At first I didn't worry about where those calories came from, but I discovered I could eat a lot more when I ate healthier (vegetables, lean meats, etc). As a result, I ate less pasta, rice, etc. I still eat things I like, but stay within my calories. I also run 3x a week and am in the middle of 30 day shred.

Edited to add: I use a heart rate monitor to keep track of my exercise calories and I use a food scale to get an accurate measurement of food.
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Just calories...moderate what goes in thats all ...it works like a dream...after all your 14 pounds lighter thats definetly progress as far as I can see ...just keep going thats all
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    HI all,

I say this a lot to new people, read my blog, the feedback I get especially from newbies is very positve. Once you've read it should you wish to send a friend request please do, I'm no personal trainer, but I have been on MFP over 13 months or so and I share tips ideas & give loads of support, BUT more importantly I never judge.

PEACE

Dieting is a life choice not a life sentence, so don't punish yourself
  • NitroxBoss
    NitroxBoss Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My name is Mark and I have lost 42 pounds so far this year using weight watchers meetings and etools. I am here because I feel like we are moving on to the next level of our journey.
  • sara11679
    sara11679 Posts: 7
    Options
    I started 2 weeks ago, and have lost 8 pounds, I was suprised at how many calories i was consuming on a daily basis, so im delighted that its working so far. Im at a stage now where i think my body is comfortable and always in the past found it hard to get past a certain weight. So this week im hoping with the calorie counting i can say goodbye to that weight and feel happy that ive finally got past it.
  • nlsalvatore
    nlsalvatore Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been on MFP since last Jan. I lost 38 lbs. through counting calories and exercise. Over the last few months I have regained some of it due to a combination of factors, but mostly through not finding time to exercise, so that part is important too. Being on MFP is a great motivator for me. Good luck! I am going to friend you & we can encourage each other! Don't give up!
  • Snuggles726
    Snuggles726 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :smile: I understand how you feel! I am 68 years old and have been struggling for a long time with asthma and joint problems. I have joined a gym where I go 3 times a week and also do MFP everyday. I find that exercising helps me stay focused on my goal to get healthy... and the most important relieves the stress and gives energy. I hope that you find this info helpful. Dont't give up!!! This is a great site.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I just count calories and exercise. It's all I've ever done and it works.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Continue counting calories, get in exercise and stay away from those diets. The only way to make this work is to have a lifetime change to healthier eating. You will not be able to stay on any of those diets forever. Start eating healthy and smart and continue for the rest of your life. Are you doing any exercising at this time?
  • glens2422
    glens2422 Posts: 1
    Options
    If your not doing some sort of exercise as part of your weekly routine its difficult to lose and keep it off. Keep reducing your caloric intake and reduce your fats and carbs. If you burn off additional calories by exercising you will get results. Remember you did not gain weight in a week or month. Its comes off slowly and you have to be patient. Good luck.
  • sillyjilly1583
    sillyjilly1583 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all sooo much! I feel better about counting calories now! Thanks for all of the support and ideas. :)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I just count calories and exercise. It's all I've ever done and it works.

This^ ive tried the other stuff...this WORKS. Painlessly, pretty much.