What is this weight gain?

Options
124»

Replies

• bethmac_va
    bethmac_va Posts: 65
    Options
    Just gonna say this. I honestly HATE it when people complain when they are 120 pounds, lower or even higher then that upto 150.. . You gotta be thankful that you are that slim! It shouldn't matter if you gain weight or not. Come on.. You won't look it. Believe me.. And I don't care about the bashers but geeze! Live a little. You only live once!! For god sakes I am 281!! Try being that heavy!!!

Yeah, just gonna say this too...I hate it when people who've lost 55 pounds complain about complaining! :noway:
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Weekly planning is infinitely less stressful and easier to manage than a daily goal.

First off, OP, you could practically be my twin : -) I'm 5'7" and 125 lbs and have been in maintenance mode for a while. It is tricky business as you really have to figure out what your "maintenance" calories are (I have found those online calculators to be less than accurate). It really comes down to trial and error.

And I definitely agree with the comment on managing your calories on a weekly basis -- so much easier! Some days I'm about as sedentary as a rock and other days (like weekends) I am very active. Same with eating -- some days I eat about 1600 calories and other days I hit 2400. So, I try to stay within a weekly calorie range each week (for me, it averages to about 2000 calories per day) and I've found it fairly easy to maintain with that method.

Good luck!
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

First off, OP, you could practically be my twin : -) [/quote]

And we both joined in june 2011 :-)

How long did it take you to figure out what your maintainance was? Did you go up to start with ?
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to figure out what your maintainance was? Did you go up to start with ?

So, just a bit of background (because I think it makes a bit of difference), my "diet" for losing weight was eating at an average of 1600 calories per day. I also am an omnivore and eat about 125 grams of protein per day and quite a bit of starchy carbs (bread, pasta, potatoes, etc.) as well as some sugary treats (chocolate, cookies, ice cream). I'm only sharing this as I do know from friends who do low-carb that they tend to pile the weight back on when they re-introduce starchy carbs back in their diet. So, I started my weight loss as I planned to continue after I lost all the weight, just with reduced calories.

At 1600 cals per day, I was losing at a good clip. So for maintenance, I started at an average of 1800 calories per day. I did this for a month and weighed in on 3 consecutive days (to discount any water weight fluctuations), and found that I still lost a bit of weight for that month. So, I upped it to an average of 1900 calories per day. The next month, I weighed in about even, but I wanted to push it to see how far I could go. I kept upping it until I hit 2100 calories per day, when I did gain noticeable weight. So, I went back down to 2,000 where I'm at now.

Anyway, I found that giving a calorie level a good month to assess effects worked for me (I also timed my weigh-ins so they would not coincide with my TOM -- also, my activity levels haven't changed). All in all, it took me a couple of months.
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options

So, just a bit of background (because I think it makes a bit of difference), my "diet" for losing weight was eating at an average of 1600 calories per day. I also am an omnivore and eat about 125 grams of protein per day and quite a bit of starchy carbs (bread, pasta, potatoes, etc.) as well as some sugary treats (chocolate, cookies, ice cream). I'm only sharing this as I do know from friends who do low-carb that they tend to pile the weight back on when they re-introduce starchy carbs back in their diet. So, I started my weight loss as I planned to continue after I lost all the weight, just with reduced calories.

At 1600 cals per day, I was losing at a good clip. So for maintenance, I started at an average of 1800 calories per day. I did this for a month and weighed in on 3 consecutive days (to discount any water weight fluctuations), and found that I still lost a bit of weight for that month. So, I upped it to an average of 1900 calories per day. The next month, I weighed in about even, but I wanted to push it to see how far I could go. I kept upping it until I hit 2100 calories per day, when I did gain noticeable weight. So, I went back down to 2,000 where I'm at now.

Anyway, I found that giving a calorie level a good month to assess effects worked for me (I also timed my weigh-ins so they would not coincide with my TOM -- also, my activity levels haven't changed). All in all, it took me a couple of months.

cool, that's a really good idea to up it slowly. I was just looking back at my progress and hadn't lost anything for about the last 8 months previous to upping my calories, I was having about 1600 after eating back exercise. Maybe I need to go back down to this until I start New rules?