To Gym or Not to Gym

Options

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    From what you said...if you can afford it I think its a good idea. Only you know your finances, but your reasons for going to the gym are legit.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Home DVDs are much cheaper and you can do exercises at home and stuff. That might work for a while for you :)
  • carolinesmiles
    Options
    Like everyone else said, it depends on what works for you. I've tried working out to DVDs and taking walks close to my house, but ultimately it doesn't benefit me nearly as much as the gym membership I got a few months ago. I haven't been working this month, and just getting out somewhere everyday makes me feel so much better (both physically and mentally) than I would cooped up in the house.

If the gym you're contemplating joining offers a monthly membership, perhaps that might be something to consider. Then you can always cancel if it becomes too much of a financial burden down the road.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!
  • FitnFabMichelle
    FitnFabMichelle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    In general I don't think gyms are all that expensive these days and your health and well-being is well worth $20 or $30 a month as far as I'm concerned. Plus the workouts and such will give you confidence, and that confidence can make a huge difference in finding a new job. Plus there's the opportunity of meeting new people at the gym. Yeah - to me it's worth getting the membership provided that $20 or $30 a month doesn't take away from any other financial obligations you have.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    Gym is absolutely essential for me, it's cheaper than therapy!
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    DO IT!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hmm. You said you've been laid off, but NOT that you're planning to look for another job. In fact, your post reads like you're using this turn of fate as an opportunity to leave the working world altogether. If that's the case, then I'd try a limited membership (6-month commitment? Month-to-month?) and see how it goes, both in financial and health-results terms. If you're getting back into shape and you're not breaking the bank, that's great. If it's not trimming your backside and it is pinching your wallet, turn it off. If you're getting results and it's a financial hardship, you can look for other ways to cut back.

But if you are looking for a job, I'd suggest making that your priority, if you can. I agree with many of the other posters that you can do SOMETHING without a gym, even if it's just walking the neighborhood a couple of times a day -- a pedometer is a low-cost, one-time investment that could be a real boon -- and I'd be wary of using a lack of gym access as an excuse to stay on the couch. I know I've done that!

How ever it goes, best of luck! Remember, you've done it before. You can do it again. :happy:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Not to gym....
    I work out doing calisthenics and easy cardio like walking, jogging or whatever - even dancing inside!
    Just get moving and back on track, and forget FAST RESULTS.
    Just make slow, steady progress as recommended here.
    Good luck!
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i'm unemployed, and I kept the gym because while the unemployment is really hard on my self esteem, the gym has empowered me to focus on something I CAN control and make gains in -- my fitness/health. Being able to really work on myself has probably been the only thing keeping me sane in my months of joblessness.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    First off, either route don't go in expecting fast results. Anything you do that equates to fast "results" also equates to not real fat loss, and you'll gain it right back. Slow and steady is the key to maintainable weight loss.

That being said, if you are unemployed I don't see the sense in spending your money in a gym right now. Go for long walks/jogs or do workout programs at home. If you are not opposed to downloading programs you can find just about any program you want on http://www.thepiratebay.org to download for free. Once downloaded you can either play it directly off your computer, stream it through your ps3 or xbox 360, or burn it to a dvd. It's what I do.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Technically, I'm unemployed right now and all year(I'm a substitute teachers aid, so I have work, but it's not regular 9-5 type of work). I manage to afford a gym membership, pay for a trainer, and pay my credit card/phone bill.. but I also live at home with my parents, so I have no rent/utilities bills, food bills or car bills.

The easiest thing I've found when wanting fitness type things, is saving.. Yes you may not get it right now, but you will get it in a month or two of saving.. and that makes it more rewarding to me. I always cut back on other areas in my life(like my obsession with clothes and shoes) and going out to eat, if it means that I get to see my trainer and go to the gym that month.

So after my long story, yes I think it's worth it.. but if at a time, you find that the bills are more important then the gym, then realize that and ditch the gym for a bit.
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately visual perception will affect interviews I'm actually fairly happy my first interview here was over the phone, helps my boss is in France . Consider your gym cost a job hunting expense. I don't think you can deduct it though.

There's a planet fitness right by my house and it's only 10bucks a month, plus the first monday of every month they have free pizza so it's a free dinner that night and they have bagels on some tuesday morning but the only bagel shop in town SUCKS so I wouldn't eat them anyway.

Hopefully you'll land a job quickly enough that it won't be an issue. There's a gym here at work BUT since I'm a "contingent employee" (read:contractor) I don't get to use it. I'd be upset but while the company is reducing headcount, I'm an operating expense and fairly insulated from headcount reduction. But honestly the PF is walking distance from my house and 24x7 so I'd probably not give up my membership even if I could use the gym here.

Have to co-sign here. I go to Planet Fitness as well. Started January 2nd and haven't missed more than 5 days since! Went from couch slug to gym rat and I LOVE it!. And yup - $10 per month and less than 3 miles from my house. Think of how much more confidence you'll have on those interviews after a good workout.

Best of luck in your job search and weight loss. Feel free to add me as a friend =)
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Gym is absolutely essential for me, it's cheaper than therapy!
    LOVE THIS!
  • OneOleMan
    OneOleMan Posts: 5
    Options
    Mental health is every bit as important as physical health. If the price of gym membership is within reason and will keep you socialized I’d say “go for it”. You’ll feel a lot better about yourself and that will show in those upcoming job interviews.
  • keden7
    keden7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about the extra expense, why not sell a few things on Ebay or do some babysitting to get the extra money? You might get creative, start a little cleaning business, tutoring business, resume writing business (Depends on your skill sets!) You can always rebuy the things you sell after you get another job. Then it might not stress you out as much to pay the fee, assuming its something you really want. I did that to buy my paddleboard as I always wanted to learn to surf and it feels great!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    if i could go to a free gym, i would.

but if i had to pay for it, i wouldn't.
  • lele104
    lele104 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My advice is to see if they have a 3 month plan or short term contract. Don't get pulled into something that may have hidden costs and hurt your financially. If you have the month for the 3 month investment in your bank account right now then pull it out and put it in an envelope. Then you have your money set aside and don't have to worry. If after 3 months you are stressing about the cash then don't do the gym anymore. That way you get out of the house a bit now which will help your "mental" stress and perhaps help move your job search along faster because you will feel more positive. I was laid off one week before I had my daughter (single mom) a number of years ago so I feel your pain. Remember you are a strong woman and can do this!!!
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, it's up to you.

I don't have a lot of money, and I've found that investing in workout tools I can have at home has made a huge difference.

I have a treadmill, yoga mat, and some weights. I got most of it second hand for about $200 total. That's like a year of a gym membership? MAYBE?

Just saying, there are other options. You don't need a gym to work out and get in shape.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Looking for some feedback here.

In the last month or so I've skidded back in my weight loss journey. I've gone from breaking (finally) the 200 lb mark to weighing in at 199.6 to now weighing 207.8. I stopped doing what worked and then foolishly thought it wouldn't catch up with me. Well it did.

I'm really focused on getting back on track and want to see fast results to keep my motivation up.I've been considering getting a gym membership at a great club just up the street from me - literally I could walk there. I've had a membership there before and it was truly like a haven for me. I would go, work out, catch a Body Flow class (or yoga) and then hit the hot tub for a great post workout soak. I'd feel so great after. Should be an easy decision right?

Well....

I got laid off last week so I have to think about 'essential items' now when calculating my budget. I'm going to use the next few months of severance and unemployment benefits to pay the bills and just focus on my health and wellness goals. A gym membership could really get me far down that path- plus it will get me out of the house, keep me social and since I have loads of time, i can hit a lot of different classes and take advantage of so much there I never had time before.

What are thoughts? One side of me says "hey you're unemployed and you shouldn't be spending money on this kind of thing" but the other part of me says "hey, you're worth this. you can afford it and this IS an essential item in the budget".

thoughts?

Some people prefer to spend their money on home gym equipment (something they can keep long term). If you're a self-motivated person where exercise is concerned, this may be the more efficient way to go until you can find another job. However, if you're like me (and it sounds like you are), you are more likely to stay motivated by going to a gym because, while there, you are surrounded by other people with similar goals and seeing their hard work and dedication keeps you motivated and inspired. It also makes working out feel like a social activity rather than a chore. I would say, if you can work the membership into your monthly budget without making it difficult to pay your living costs, I say go for it. It's essential to your physical and mental well being, so I don't consider it to be a luxury. It's just as important as regular doctor visits, in my opinion.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    No one can truly decide this but you. You say that you've been very successful at this gym before. I know that the tools I've used to lose weight have included MFP and my gym membership. I get it done at the gym. It's that simple. However many people workout at home or through other means. You've got to figure out what you can afford during this short span of being out of work. Also, speak with the gym personnel and see if they have different memberships that might lower the monthly fees.

Good luck in your job search!