How much fruit do you eat?

Options
BrendaLee
BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
Ever since I started worrying about my sugar intake, I can't seem to enjoy fruit freely like I used to. Some people say fruit should be eaten in moderation, and others say enjoy as much fruit as you'd like. How much fruit do you eat? Do you worry about eating too much?

Replies

• kerry1968
    Options
    I do eat more fruit than necessary especially in the summer when everything is fresh! I have fruit at brkfst, 2 snacks and lunch /day. Look at the nutrition break down of the fruit your eating and try the fruit that is less in sugar. I will eat a banana at brkfst, usually because I will be exercising and will burn it off, but through the day eat peaches, nectarines, apples etc.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    It is recommended not to eat more than 40g of Processed sugar a day (that's not fruit), and that's something to keep a definite eye on. But regular fruit? As long as you're getting proper nutrition and meeting the other nutrition guidelines, then I wouldn't worry about the sugar in fruit. If you are not getting enough of other nutrition, then don't waste calories in too much fruit.

In summer I practically live off fruit, I love it so much. Now I pay better attention to eat a balanced diet, but can splurge in summer on fruit.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I have blueberries in my morning oatmeal, and then later in the day, I have an apple or a peach. That's about it, not too much fruit, I'd rather save my numbers for my evening snack of Edy's slow churned, no sugar added cookie dough icecream! :love: :laugh:
  • usmdancer88
    Options
    I have a nutrionist and she told me to eat as much fruit and veggies as I wanted because it's all relatively low in calories and filling! So I eat tons of it! It's my "go to" snack always!
  • abr25
    abr25 Posts: 179
    Options
    3-4 servings a day :)

i say natural sugar is fine
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    2 or 3 servings a day! Plus Veges!
  • fitnessontherock
    Options
    I recently lost 90 pounds and workout with a trainer and have a dietician - both of whom say to keep an eye on fruit intake. 2-3 servings a day are good but beyond that (particularly at night) and you have to watch the sugars. If you are eating fruit after supper and don't exercise at night, then you run the risk of the sugars in fruit converting to fat storage overnight. Best fruits to eat are berries, banana or peach post-workout and grapefruit. Watch the sugars in pears and grapes and try not to combine grapes and bananas on the same day.

Really you have to be the best judge of what works for you but I still love snacking on fruit and it hasn't hurt me - i have a bodyfat percentage of 12%.
  • Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit when I feel like it. Lately I've been eating more fruit because I haven't in a while and there are some good sales going on at Wal-mart right now.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    i eat about 3-4servings of fruit a day.....2-3apples and a clementine or a handful of grapes :bigsmile:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I love fruit and I've always been a big fruit eater. I don't worry about eating too much. I figure it's a better choice than junk food. :flowerforyou:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    3-4 I usually stick to frozen strawberries and grapefruit. Lately I have been eating plums, nectarines and peaches b/c they are on sale. I eat bananas and grapes sparingly. I only like really green bananas the others are too sweet tasting. Plus I'd rather save the sugar for my coffee:drinker:

Also take into consideration why you are eating the fruit for the health benefits or because it is sweet. If it is for the health benefits then switch to another fruit. But if it is for the sugar then you've probably just traded the cake sugar for an equal amount of banana sugar and that is a whole different issue altogether.

If you are worried about sugar choose one of these

Fruits Lowest in Sugar

* Small Amounts of Lemon or Lime

* Rhubarb

* Raspberries (more about berries on low carb diets)

* Blackberries

* Cranberries

Fruits Low to Medium in Sugar

* Strawberries

* Casaba Melon

* Papaya

* Watermelon

* Peaches

* Nectarines

* Blueberries

* Cantaloupes

* Honeydew Melons

* Apples

* Guavas

* Apricots

* Grapefruit

Also see http://www.marksdailyapple.com/best-and-worst-fruits/
  • frenchiefit
    Options
    the sugar in fruits is still sugar and that is how the body processes it. You should eat fruits in moderation and as someone else stated, it should be part of a balanced diet ... the exception to that is if you are insulin resistant or diabetic and then you can only eat about 1/2 a fruit per meal generally (depending on the fruit of course) but should first be tested to find out. If youa re insulin resistant or diabetic, then you need to work on the appropriate nutrition levels for your condition and that will depend on your individual results.
    good luck !
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3, usually with a med GI, and I know bananas are considered better for you than some because they are slower to digest even though they're sweet. I would never count them in the sugars because it's natural sugar. And I figure it's better to eat than crap-what I'm trying to stay away from. Moderation is the key to each food group.:drinker: Except water!
  • LeeiaL
    LeeiaL Posts: 40
    Options
    Ever since I started worrying about my sugar intake, I can't seem to enjoy fruit freely like I used to. Some people say fruit should be eaten in moderation, and others say enjoy as much fruit as you'd like. How much fruit do you eat? Do you worry about eating too much?

This depends. Are you just starting on your plan? Then you can be more liberal. Is this the last 10-15 pounds? Then you'll have to be more strict.

My general rule is that I do med-low GI fruits like blueberries or raspberries. Since I'm in the 'last 10 pounds' stage, I need to be more strict so I don't eat fruits past 3pm. Generally, I get one serving a day.
    If you are a die-hard fruit person, and need more than one serving, try the berries - generally low in sugar but still have the fiber you need.

Even though fruits have natural sugar (which is definitely better than processed sugar), you still need to keep an eye on your fruit intake.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I have a banana in my shake almost every morning and an apple for snack most days.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Probably 5 or 6 servings a day, but I'm a big boy and I eat a lot.

<<This post brought to you by your friends and the National Cherry Producers Co-op :flowerforyou: >>
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Banana for lunch, apple as a snack mid day.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Melon at breakfast, berries mid-morning snack, grapes for afternoon snack. Sometimes an apple or peach instead of melon.