breakfast cereal for adults and children???

Options

Replies

• NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Live Strong has a great article with the top ten: http://www.livestrong.com/article/89186-top-kids-cereals/

Great article. Thanks MJ
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Cheerios with fresh fruit for that sweetness they like. Bananas, strawberries and blueberries work great. Or Total cereal with fresh fruit is also good.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Plain ol' Cheerios. That was my favorite as a kid and still as an adult.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    1700851-cereal_reeses_puffs_super.jpg
    Just ate this. :P

You can always sweeten cereals with chocolate milk. It makes the so-called healthy cereals easier to stomach.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with cereal? Let kids be kids for cryin out loud. A bowl of cereal in the morning isn't going to kill them. Just use skim milk instead of Vit D, or better yet the vanilla soy milk.

On that note. my toddler LOVES the frosted mini wheats with fruit in the middle. And my 8 year old willingly picks raisin bran crunch. 2 fairly good cereals.

Yep. Let's up our kids with extra estrogen from soy!

Don't be judgmental!

Seriously, though, I wouldn't give my kids soy milk just because it tastes nasty. LOL!
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I give my daughter Special K with Strawberries.

One, because its got good grain, not tons of sugar and she is a strawberry addict. So it
    works well for all of us.

She even likes HOney bunches of oats - as long as it doesnt taste like STRAW (KASHI), she'll eat it.

:)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    No way Acg.

THIS is the cereal.

miniwheats.jpg

I do really like the new cinnamon roll frosted mini wheats mini bites
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Cereal is awesome! Just show your kids what a true serving is and not just fill the bowl to the top. Side it with toast, juice or fruit and you're good to go. Eating right isn't about eating blah food, its about moderation. Eating one bowl is okay of any cereal, its when that one bowl turns into three that it is not so good.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I only buy dye free foods for my family (my son is sensitive to the dyes in food, makes him VERY hyper). I usually buy Kix, Life cereal, Cheerios, Rice Krispies. In the organic section of my grocery store they have organic versions of Cheerios & Rice krispies and you cant even tell the difference, they totally taste the same. The organic obviously cost a lil more but its worth it to me.
  • jenniferrebekahsands
    Options
    I've just started eating Fiber Plus Antioxidants Caramel Pecan Crunch (but they have lots of other flavors, too). It is very tasty, made with whole wheat. It is healthier than most and is sweet enough that I think even the kids would like it.

Don't let the boring name fool you, it is quite good!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with cereal? Let kids be kids for cryin out loud. A bowl of cereal in the morning isn't going to kill them. Just use skim milk instead of Vit D, or better yet the vanilla soy milk.

On that note. my toddler LOVES the frosted mini wheats with fruit in the middle. And my 8 year old willingly picks raisin bran crunch. 2 fairly good cereals.

Don't be judgmental!

Seriously, though, I wouldn't give my kids soy milk just because it tastes nasty. LOL!

Not being judgmental, just sarcastic. I was vegetarian for 10 years, vegan for 2. I drank plenty of soy milk in my time. I also had plenty of issues at TOM. Once I stopped eating soy, they stopped. I'm not a big fan of soy because of how it can (and often does) mess with hormones. It's absolutely not something I would do for my kids unless absolutely necessary.

ETA: Two "absolutely"s in one sentence. That's how strongly I feel about it! That, or it's too early for me...
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I only buy dye free foods for my family (my son is sensitive to the dyes in food, makes him VERY hyper). I usually buy Kix, Life cereal, Cheerios, Rice Krispies. In the organic section of my grocery store they have organic versions of Cheerios & Rice krispies and you cant even tell the difference, they totally taste the same. The organic obviously cost a lil more but its worth it to me.

Oh Speical K too. My kids love all those cereals I listed!! They are 3yrs &6yrs, both boys. My 6yr old is an EXTREMELY picky eater.
  • frostymom3
    frostymom3 Posts: 33
    Options
    peanut butter cheerios! i am eating them right now and they are delicious!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options

Don't be judgmental!

Not being judgmental, just sarcastic. I was vegetarian for 10 years, vegan for 2. I drank plenty of soy milk in my time. I also had plenty of issues at TOM. Once I stopped eating soy, they stopped. I'm not a big fan of soy because of how it can (and often does) mess with hormones. It's absolutely not something I would do for my kids unless absolutely necessary.

ETA: Two "absolutely"s in one sentence. That's how strongly I feel about it! That, or it's too early for me...

My daughter drinks soy because she is allergic to cow's milk. I don't worry about her hormones. However, the plain isn't that great tasting and the vanilla has quite a bit of added sugar (if you're worried about sugar). I tend to be in the let kids be kids camp. She gets treats daily as long as the majority of her diet is healthy stuff.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs and bacon ...

Oh, sorry, not available in a nice convenient box yet? As you were ...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Don't be judgmental!

Well let's not blame hormonal imbalances entirely on soy. If dairies use RBST, there could be an increase of estrogen in cow's milk. I just don't believe in singling out a food for the sake of hypotheticals.

On that note moms, if you give your children cow's milk, then check out the dairies that the milk comes from. RBST is a really horrible hormone that can have harmful side effects on you, and its use is truly an injustice to the cow. Most stores purchase their milk from local dairies so that is the place to start.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    1700851-cereal_reeses_puffs_super.jpg

Oh my YUMNESS!!! I'll have 3 bowls please.... eeerrrrr I mean just one.... for every meal! LOL
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Don't be judgmental!

Can she have almond, rice or coconut milk instead? I think they all even taste better than the soy and have less sugar (most of the time anyway)

My daughter drinks soy because she is allergic to cow's milk. I don't worry about her hormones. However, the plain isn't that great tasting and the vanilla has quite a bit of added sugar (if you're worried about sugar). I tend to be in the let kids be kids camp. She gets treats daily as long as the majority of her diet is healthy stuff.
  • brianblinn
    brianblinn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    No way Acg.

THIS is the cereal.

miniwheats.jpg

I eat the generic version but hellz to the yeah!
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Special K with red berries...my daughter eats it and I love it!!:love: