Oatmeal recipies?

Options
2»

Replies

• yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I like to add flax seed, smashed banana and walnuts to my oatmeal. Or peaches, almond slivers and a little almond milk. A cup of strawberries or blueberries (any berries really). Chopped apple with nuts.

I always try to add 1-2 T flax seed and 1-2 T nuts to my oatmeal.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Right now trying to super low carb for beach vacation BUT, I normally eat Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal and add a tablespoon of virgin coconut oil.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I loooove steel cut oats. I cook a large batch and then portion it out for the week. It reheats really well. I add 1tsp of pure maple syrup and it makes it just sweet enough for me.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Sooo many good looking recipies!!! I'm gonna need to buy more oats :tongue:
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    For my oatmeal I add a 1/2 scoop of chocolate whey protein, 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed, 1tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 cup blueberries, and 1/4 cup skim milk. Sometimes I skip the protein powder and add some apple chunks. Either way I feel satisfied all morning. The flax adds some fiber and omega-3's :smile:
  • mymission92
    Options
    I have it with cinnamon and walnuts.
    Or chocolate protein powder, thats my fave!!
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Good stuff, keep it comin!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I grew up on oatmeal fixed with butter, brown sugar and half & half. Delicious, but doesn't fit into my healthy lifestyle these days! :tongue:

Now I eat it with 1/2 cup fruit (blueberries, strawberries, peaches, bananas, whatever I've got), 1/4 to 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/8 cup walnuts, drizzled with a tablespoon of honey. So good and gives me great energy!
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I prefer steel cut oats. They take half an hour to cook. But I get ready when they're cooking. I add chia seeds, ground flax seed, cinnamon and almond milk. Sometimes I add a tbsp of natural peanut butter or almond butter. I did use maple syrup at first but gave it up when I realized I had to watch my sugar intake. It takes getting used to without the sweetness.
  • high5girl
    high5girl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com

I love this website - she posted something about oatmeal yesterday. This is where I find a lot of my recipes for eating healthy! :)
  • stang_girl88
    stang_girl88 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I was looking for new breakfast ideas, these sound great!
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    idk if anyone will like my recipe since you all have so many much more creative ones lol. I keep it simple and use my secret ingredients to make it pop :)

i normally use 2 oz of oats then add 2oz of 1% lowfat milk and 2 oz of water. I like my oatmeal hot so when its on the stove I add half a tsp of vanilla and when its finished grate a little nutmeg on top to add wonderful smell and flavour and sugar to taste (i normally sue 1tbsp) If i'm feeling fancy i might cook it with cinnamon leaves and sticks and add fruits afterwards. o and i cook it on a low flame.
  • tlctrace
    tlctrace Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Cook the oatmeal with half water and half fat free milk. Add half a tablespoon of light butter, a dash of cinnamon, and a tablespoon of raisins.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I do two batches of steel-cut on Sunday - one sweet and and one savory, so I have options *laugh*

Sweet I make with milk and a bit of local honey
    Savory I make with broth - usually chicken - and prepare it kind of like risotto.

I portion it out into plastic carry-alongs - I have a bunch of the 1/2 cup types that I put in my additions so I can heat them up when I get to work, and I put 1/4 of the cooked into a separate (larger) container (I like to add lots of water and have it kinda runny when I reheat).

For my sweet one, I like to add chocolate protein powder and cinnamon with some almond milk. Dried blueberries are also really, really good!

For my savory, I like to bring olive oil, cracked pepper, an egg, and some nice parmesan cheese.

Sometimes, I'll put some in a bowl of greek yoghurt with flax, chocolate protein powder, wheat germ, local honey, and some fruit - I make a big tub on Sunday and have breakfast all week. It's really filling and helps me hit my macros.