itching when running! help!

Options
It's strange but whenever I run for more than a mile I start itching terribly on my thighs inner knees and stomach. I have done research but can't find out what's causing it nor how to stop it. I'm stopping my jogging early it gets so unbearable. I have noticed the itching seems to be in my 'fattier' spots. Does anyone have any answers?

Replies

• cerixon
    cerixon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Maybe heat rash? That's just a guess.
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    blood flow increasing in your legs as you run? I get this on my bike sometimes
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Happens to me when I take off running a bit and get back into it. Also noticed its in my fattier spots. Not a clue why though... sorry! Might be due to jiggling... try compression gear?
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Blood flow. Can you walk for 15 minutes or so before you begin running? Sometimes that helps.
  • Dani_Luers
    Options
    It happens to me too. Blood Flow and circulation - plus if you aren't used to sweating that's probably part of it. Eventually, it will stop.
  • tripn404
    tripn404 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This use to happen to me. Just run through it ! It'll happen less and less and then it won't happen anymore :) ...Focus on something else and if you keep thinking about it you won't be able to run through it !
  • nursenelson
    nursenelson Posts: 295
    Options
    irritation from sweat?
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hmm...that is interesting! I hope you'll be able to figure it out..What about the fabrics you are wearing while you run? Do you use sunscreen? I've had issues with sunscreen and itching mixed with heat rash. (Oye! It was nuts) so I switched to SPF for sensitive skin and problem solved there. Good luck!
  • Tebbspcad
    Tebbspcad Posts: 233
    Options
    I suffered the same but mainly on my neck and stomach, it seems to have gradually eased off & I don't notice it any more :) Give it a few weeks and see if it's still bothering you, if it is then seek medical advice.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I get that on my sides. It goes away. I just ignore it.
  • cindy859
    cindy859 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Increased circulation to those parts of the body, it will soon stop, hang in there!
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I used to get that too, but now that I'm running a few days a week it hasn't happened in months. I know it's super uncomfortable, but I say keep running.
  • helenecg
    helenecg Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me all the time. So annoying!! Put cream on before you run, it helps.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Try some BodyGlide anti chafe balm-works great. It may also be the material of your workout outfit. Try changing it to the dryfit material. Good luck!
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I notice that also, did not know what was happening. Thought something was biting my stomach. LOL
  • daintypapillon
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I'll stick through it!
  • snowchj
    snowchj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is very common. The itch is not your skin but actually blood filling up tiny capillaries in your body which have "deflated" after disuse or inactivity. This sensation will disappear as your fitness increases.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    This is very common. The itch is not your skin but actually blood filling up tiny capillaries in your body which have "deflated" after disuse or inactivity. This sensation will disappear as your fitness increases.

I trained for a half marathon for 20 weeks. Never went away. Lol.
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Its blood flow, like mentioned above... The itch, although uncomfortable, means that what you are doing is working! I get it as well when I skip a week or three of walking. Try not to scratch though, when you get the bad itch, just stand still for two or three minutes, do some stretches and then start walking/running again.
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've had this for years. I don't know what yours looks like, but mine is similar to when I get hives (blotchy, widespread with the hint of individual bumps rising). In my case it is called Exercise Urticaria (though it rears its head during any repeated bodily motion). Taking a non-drowsy anithistamine before running and cycling helps a ton. No amount of waiting anything out has ever made it stop.