best way to run or jog to burn fat

Options
2»

Replies

• ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree.... HIIT burns way more calories than staying at a nice steady pace. The fat percentage comes from the calories so therefore you are also burning more fat.
    Neither of her choices are considered HIIT. The second choice is interval training though.

Are you joking? High Intensity Intervals... getting the heart rate up to a high intensity level (running), slowing down to lower intensity level (walking or slow jogging) repeat?
    No, im not kidding. There is HIT and HIIT first of all. HIT is for weight training i believe. But for something to be considered HIIT you should be doing as hard as you can for lets say 30 sec. and rest for 30. If you are actually doing HIIT then your stamina should not last very long. So those are intervals but extremely intense intervals. The jogging she is speaking of consists of intervals but not HIIT intervals.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree.... HIIT burns way more calories than staying at a nice steady pace. The fat percentage comes from the calories so therefore you are also burning more fat.
    Neither of her choices are considered HIIT. The second choice is interval training though.

Are you joking? High Intensity Intervals... getting the heart rate up to a high intensity level (running), slowing down to lower intensity level (walking or slow jogging) repeat?
    No, im not kidding. There is HIT and HIIT first of all. HIT is for weight training i believe. But for something to be considered HIIT you should be doing as hard as you can for lets say 30 sec. and rest for 30. If you are actually doing HIIT then your stamina should not last very long. So those are intervals but extremely intense intervals. The jogging she is speaking of consists of intervals but not HIIT intervals.

Honey.... HIT is high intensity training. In other words keeping your heart rate up for an extended period of time!
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    For some people jogging may be intense!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    But with HIIT you are burning calories way longer after you've completed your work out.

But not necessarily more calories.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Walking fast will burn more calories than a slow jog. Just do what you can and have fun with it!
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    But with HIIT you are burning calories way longer after you've completed your work out.

Yes more calories and speeds up your metabolism.

"THE AFTER BURN

One of the greatest things about high intensity interval training is the after burn. And by after burn, I am talking about calories! The fancy name for after burn is excess post-oxygen consumption (EPOC).You not only burn a ton of calories during your workout, but you also burn more calories after, even while you are sleeping. High intensity interval training changes your body’s calorie burning capabilities. Have you ever heard someone say that you will burn more calories at rest even after you exercise? Well, this is what they were talking about. What happens is that your body tries to get back to the way it was before you began exercising. After HIIT, it takes your body a lot longer to recover than it would from regular exercise which helps burn more calories.THE AFTER BURN

One of the greatest things about high intensity interval training is the after burn. And by after burn, I am talking about calories! The fancy name for after burn is excess post-oxygen consumption (EPOC).You not only burn a ton of calories during your workout, but you also burn more calories after, even while you are sleeping. High intensity interval training changes your body’s calorie burning capabilities. Have you ever heard someone say that you will burn more calories at rest even after you exercise? Well, this is what they were talking about. What happens is that your body tries to get back to the way it was before you began exercising. After HIIT, it takes your body a lot longer to recover than it would from regular exercise which helps burn more calories."
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    Long, hard, and fast, uphill, into the wind, and inefficiently. Think I'm kidding? Ultra Marathoners recently asked a friend of mine - a licensed dietician - how they could keep weight off and still consume all the nutrients they need. These people run 100 miles a week and they can't keep the weight off? Holy crap.

See, they are so efficient that they don't get their heart rates up, don't burn as much calories as you or I if we did this, and they have a hard time taking in the right nutrition and keeping weight off. So be inefficient.....run hard....run up hill...into the wind.....etc. Get your heart rate up at least into the fat burning zone for you.
    8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I say why choose. Why not do both, separate days of course. But on the interval day, do sprints and give it all you got. Sometimes I do sprints for 60 sec and walk fast for 2 min. I do 5 to 8 reps and usually I am so beat after this. The intervals will also help your endurance on long run days.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Yes more calories and speeds up your metabolism.

"THE AFTER BURN

One of the greatest things about high intensity interval training is the after burn. And by after burn, I am talking about calories! The fancy name for after burn is excess post-oxygen consumption (EPOC).You not only burn a ton of calories during your workout, but you also burn more calories after, even while you are sleeping. High intensity interval training changes your body’s calorie burning capabilities. Have you ever heard someone say that you will burn more calories at rest even after you exercise? Well, this is what they were talking about. What happens is that your body tries to get back to the way it was before you began exercising. After HIIT, it takes your body a lot longer to recover than it would from regular exercise which helps burn more calories.THE AFTER BURN

One of the greatest things about high intensity interval training is the after burn. And by after burn, I am talking about calories! The fancy name for after burn is excess post-oxygen consumption (EPOC).You not only burn a ton of calories during your workout, but you also burn more calories after, even while you are sleeping. High intensity interval training changes your body’s calorie burning capabilities. Have you ever heard someone say that you will burn more calories at rest even after you exercise? Well, this is what they were talking about. What happens is that your body tries to get back to the way it was before you began exercising. After HIIT, it takes your body a lot longer to recover than it would from regular exercise which helps burn more calories."

That sounds all well and good when someone is trying to write a breathlessly enthusiastic "fitness" article, but the reality is a lot more complex, hence my original comment. There is no reason for the average person to restrict themselves to one type of training, and HIIT is not automatically the best choice for every person under every circumstance.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options

Honey.... HIT is high intensity training. In other words keeping your heart rate up for an extended period of time!
    Well you certainly don't have to believe me that's why we have the internet at our disposal;) She is not doing HIIT or HIT, just sayin. To the OP any exercise is good for you but just remember if it's easy it's time to change it up and have fun with it.