Someone braking the rules at the gym: would you tell?

Options
psanoja
psanoja Posts: 28 Member
I go to a Planet Fitness, and when I joined, they told me two things: never stay longer than scheduled in the 30 minute circuit, and wipe out all equipment after you use it. So it happens that there is this guy, very arrogant as###le, who uses the same equipment I do. He never wipes out the machines after using them, which I have to do before doing my routine. And he goes into the 30 minute circuit and uses the machines at will--also without wiping them out. Would you tell the gym's manager?

Replies

• jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If it's interfering with your workouts, yes.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would adress him in person first to give him a chance to better himself. He might not even be aware of what his doing. If he is doing it on purpose and ignores you, then maybe tell the management.

If this only happens when you are around, its pretty likely he´ll figure out you´re the one who ratted him out and you might come of looking like a coward so talk to him in person first. Just try to bring it up in a nice why without blaming him or making him feel to guilty. If he is as much af *kitten* you say he is, he´ll probably go into defens mode so you might want to be cautious.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    If it's interfering with your workouts, yes.

Yes, also, it's disgusting to have to wipe someone else's sweat.
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Ok that's so gross. If the guy is approachable then I would try to address it with him, but it sounds like the guy isn't approachable. If he isn't then I would bring it up with management.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Yes...absolutely. At my old gym, there was a sweaty runner guy who dripped all over, then never wiped the machine down. I said something to the manager and he told him he needed to start bringing a towel, etc.... When I told him, I mentioned that a lot of people noticed this, but nobody was comfortable confronting him...it was resolved and he wasn't told who spoke up.

Edited to add....its should not have to be your job to enforce the rules set by the gym...this is the responsibility of the people who get their paycheck from that gym, so make sure they're aware!
  • psanoja
    psanoja Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Yes, also, it's disgusting to have to wipe someone else's sweat.
    [/quote]

That's what turns me off. The guy is young and the impression I get is that wiping out is beneath him. If he does it next time when I'm around I'm going to remind him of the gym's rules. If he does it again, I'll talk to the manager. I definitely, most definitely, hate cleaning someone else's sweat.
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    My gym has towels that they provide to take care of sweat on the machines and on you as well. You might want to grab an extra if they provide them and offer one to him while you're wiping your own machine down. He might get the hint that way. Or maybe accidentally leave your towel on a machine that you know he's waiting for and come back to get it saying something like "sorry I was wiping the machine down and forgot my towel" If that doesn't work then it's mgmt time.