bodybuilding arms are lagging help

Hi im a new member to this MFP my question is this i currently train 4-5 days a week my split looks like this
Monday - chest + arms
Tuesday - shoulders
Wednesday - rest
Thursday Back
Friday - arms
Saturday - Legs

My arms are lke girls arms no joking i have good shoulders legs are decent but arms smaller tha a girl no shape whatsover i think my bodytype is a ecto - endo i put fat on easy but muscle takes forever to build and strength is rubbish my rep range is 6-10 to failure on all exersises
my diet is good i dont want to bore you but if u want details on that i can tell you

thank you

Replies

• ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    Hi im a new member to this MFP my question is this i currently train 4-5 days a week my split looks like this
    Monday - chest + arms
    Tuesday - shoulders
    Wednesday - rest
    Thursday Back
    Friday - arms
    Saturday - Legs

My arms are lke girls arms no joking i have good shoulders legs are decent but arms smaller tha a girl no shape whatsover i think my bodytype is a ecto - endo i put fat on easy but muscle takes forever to build and strength is rubbish my rep range is 6-10 to failure on all exersises
    my diet is good i dont want to bore you but if u want details on that i can tell you

thank you

Instead of trying to create your own routine - do a routine that is proven to work like starting strength, PHAT, Max OT, 5.3.1 or stronglifts 5x5.
  • Contraction strength and form = better that swining a heavy weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    Stick to compound movements for arms then. Barbell curls, close grip benches, seated alternate curls, dips. And don't train them with any other body part but legs and make sure there is sufficient time between body parts for rest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    And don't train them with any other body part but legs

Why?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Monday - chest + arms
    Tuesday - shoulders
    Wednesday - rest
    Thursday Back
    Friday - arms
    Saturday - Legs

thank you

What is your TDEE and what is your average daily intake of calories and macronutrients?
    How long have you been lifting?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    chinups

and nix the isolation routine in favor of a compounds routine. squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Chest & Arms should not be followed by shoulders

That's pretty much how I feel. I do
    Monday = Chest/Back
    Tuesday = Triceps/Biceps
    Wed = Rest
    Thursday = Shoulders
    Friday (or Sat. morning) legs.

My arms are getting indirect work on Monday and Thursday but I spend a whole day on them because they're not totally wrecked doing chest or shoulders. My triceps have some serious stamina. I have to totally destroy them with cable push downs and dumbbell overhead extensions before I do my sets of dips and lately I've had to polish them off with kick-backs afterwards to finish them off. They're beastly hard to wear out. You can't do that kind of work if you're trying to do bench on the same day because they get really weak by the time I'm done with them. My bench press would be pathetic after those exercises. Same with biceps. I wear them out enough that back exercises would be difficult to do.

I think most people do triceps with chest and biceps with back but I personally prefer working opposing muscles together. I do one full exercise of triceps and let them rest while I do my next group of bicep exercises. It lets that muscle group recover some while you're still working out.
  • Chest
    Back
    Tri
    Bi
    Shoulders
    Legs
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    chinups
    Yes! My new favorite pass time. I'm getting much better at these. This week I actually did the first full set of 8 without having to resort to negatives to finish it out. Still trying to get used to how sore this makes my upper stomach. I do these on a Smith machine and even with the bar all the way up I have to hold my legs up so they don't drag the floor. It's an awesome workout but my stomach is so sore the next day. It is getting better but not totally used to it yet.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    from is the most important
  • AsrarHussain
    Monday - chest + arms
    Tuesday - shoulders
    Wednesday - rest
    Thursday Back
    Friday - arms
    Saturday - Legs

thank you

What is your TDEE and what is your average daily intake of calories and macronutrients?
    How long have you been lifting?

im eating 207 protein and 300 carbs and 70-80 fats calls is 2900 calls
  • AsrarHussain
    Chest
    Back
    Tri
    Bi
    Shoulders
    Legs

that is a good routine but i prefer working out 2 days on 1 day of i find my workouts are better this way rather than full 5 days
  • AsrarHussain
    Chest & Arms should not be followed by shoulders

That's pretty much how I feel. I do
    Monday = Chest/Back
    Tuesday = Triceps/Biceps
    Wed = Rest
    Thursday = Shoulders
    Friday (or Sat. morning) legs.

My arms are getting indirect work on Monday and Thursday but I spend a whole day on them because they're not totally wrecked doing chest or shoulders. My triceps have some serious stamina. I have to totally destroy them with cable push downs and dumbbell overhead extensions before I do my sets of dips and lately I've had to polish them off with kick-backs afterwards to finish them off. They're beastly hard to wear out. You can't do that kind of work if you're trying to do bench on the same day because they get really weak by the time I'm done with them. My bench press would be pathetic after those exercises. Same with biceps. I wear them out enough that back exercises would be difficult to do.

I think most people do triceps with chest and biceps with back but I personally prefer working opposing muscles together. I do one full exercise of triceps and let them rest while I do my next group of bicep exercises. It lets that muscle group recover some while you're still working out.

for chest i do 12 sets and arm i do 6 sets thats all i spend 1 hour in the gym no longer
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    First, the OP referenced bodybuilding so why would we recommend something like Stronglifts 5x5? SL5x5 is really a ****ty program for anybody that's been lifting a while. It's a great beginner program but it's an inflexible system that doesn't offer much long-term.

Secondly, @OP you're trying to gain mass in your arms. You said you don't want to bore us with diet details but that's actually pretty important if you're talking mass gains. You mentioned your macros and calories but how big are you first of all, that might not be enough.
    Stick to compound movements for arms then. Barbell curls, close grip benches, seated alternate curls, dips. And don't train them with any other body part but legs and make sure there is sufficient time between body parts for rest.

Niner is always on-point, love it. I'd be curious to see all of the exercises that involve the tricep/bicep that the Op is using. The one I see missing from Niner's list is Chin-Ups (palms facing you). Sorry Niner. ;) I don't know about the leg-only thing. My goals are different so my splits are Upper Body / Lower Body, but I don't see why you wouldn't train Biceps on a Back day and Triceps on a Chest day, and then maybe have an extra workout that hits bi's and tri's only. Maybe you don't do that "extra" workout every week, base it on you're recovering.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member

Why?
    Because they can get pre exhausted. If a lagging body part is lagging, then pre exhaustion can hamper gains.

IDEA Fitness member
  • JNick77

Why?
    Because they can get pre exhausted. If a lagging body part is lagging, then pre exhaustion can hamper gains.

IDEA Fitness member

The other option would be to train the main compound movement last. I've seen that rec come from John Meadows and another coach recently, forget the other guy's name. I envision something like,

A. Dips
    B. Heavy Tri-Extension variation 8-10 reps
    C. Light Cable Work sets of 20 reps
    D. Close-Grip Bench Press sets of 5 or if you have a partner do a Board Press method
    E. Some kind of Tricep exercise to failure, 2 sets of max reps, minimum of 15-reps maybe?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    First, the OP referenced bodybuilding so why would we recommend something like Stronglifts 5x5? SL5x5 is really a ****ty program for anybody that's been lifting a while. It's a great beginner program but it's an inflexible system that doesn't offer much long-term.

I made an assumption that OP is a beginner due to the comment "My arms are lke girls arms no joking"
  • JNick77

I made an assumption that OP is a beginner due to the comment "My arms are lke girls arms no joking"

Ah yeah, see your point. I took it as he just didn't know how to improve his arms. You say tomato I say toma'to... LMAO

I'm really not a huge fan of SL 5x5 but since his focus is bodybuilding I guess he could do SL 5x5 but add in another day for just Bi's and Tri's and then for Bench Press days he uses Close Grip in-place of the Bench Press for the extra tricep work.
  • AsrarHussain

Secondly, @OP you're trying to gain mass in your arms. You said you don't want to bore us with diet details but that's actually pretty important if you're talking mass gains. You mentioned your macros and calories but how big are you first of all, that might not be enough.

Niner is always on-point, love it. I'd be curious to see all of the exercises that involve the tricep/bicep that the Op is using. The one I see missing from Niner's list is Chin-Ups (palms facing you). Sorry Niner. ;) I don't know about the leg-only thing. My goals are different so my splits are Upper Body / Lower Body, but I don't see why you wouldn't train Biceps on a Back day and Triceps on a Chest day, and then maybe have an extra workout that hits bi's and tri's only. Maybe you don't do that "extra" workout every week, base it on you're recovering.

my macros are 2900 callories 207 protein and 300 + carbs and 70-80 fats
  • JNick77

my macros are 2900 callories 207 protein and 300 + carbs and 70-80 fats

I meant your body totals, my bad. Are you actually going for mass gain with this?