Heart Rate Monitor with Calories Burned

Options

Replies

• risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F1. It was $40 on amazon. It only tracks your heart rate though. But it gives you the max and average heart rate and duration of exercise. I can plug in those numbers online somewhere like this:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

And then I can get a general sense of the calories I am burning. It may not be perfectly accurate but it's something and it's under $100.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 that I believe was under $100, maybe in the $60-80 range??

I've priced the FT4 for myself, and most of the places I've checked have them at $75-$80...sometimes a little more.
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    "btw: the ft4 has to be sent in/taken in to an authorized Polar facility to change the batteries, where the ft7's batteries can be changed by the user; that's worth the extra money, IMO. :)"

Really? I actually just changed the batteries on my ft4 myself with no problems... Maybe I have a newer model or something?
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex one, about $35, it doesn't tell me my cals burned just avg HR and duration. The only way to get really accurate cals burned out of an HRM is if it allows you to plug in your body stats. A cheap one will give you pretty accurate avg heart rate though. Also, if it doesn't have a chest strap, its not worth getting.

I use my Timex and then this website: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx to determine my calories burned.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4.
  • ClareWhittaker
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT60 recently and I know it sounds over dramatic but its changed my life. I can keep to training goals, monitor progress etc far more effectively. I really think a HRM is a great bit of kit to keep you motivated especially if you love smashing targets. From my own experience and from the many reviews I read prior to buying, I would definitely go with Polar as a brand.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    61.79 shipped for the ft4 from Heart Rate Monitors USA. ;) That's really not bad.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT7 and LOVE it! I got it on eBay for $80 and I think they retail for @$110 at ****'s/Target.

For me, worth every penny as I'm always motivated to burn more, striving to up my calories burned to the nearest "quarter".(0, 24, 50, 75).

This!! I got mine from bodytronics.com w/free shipping for $76
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Bowflex watch HRM from Groupon yesterday for $10! Score!

I saw that deal! I almost snagged one even though I have a Polar FT4, but then saw it doesnt tell you calories burned :grumble:
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

I saw that deal! I almost snagged one even though I have a Polar FT4, but then saw it doesnt tell you calories burned :grumble:

It doesn't tell you the calories burned??? What's the point then? I hope my sister didn't buy it... :(
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    Ft4 here as well. Purchased 2 on eaby for $95
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 is really simple and easy to use. I got mine off of Amazon with free shipping. I love it! I just wanted it for when I do zumba, kettle bell workout, bike riding etc. Activities that Fitbit doesn't accurately measure. I wish I had gotten it sooner.

Do a google search for prices and double check eBay.
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    love my polar ft4, got it off amazon for $70 but you could also keep an eye out on ebay
  • aprilwoo97
    aprilwoo97 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research when i bought mine. I wanted to go with a cheaper option to save money. However, after reading a lot of reviews, I opted to spend a little more and go with the Polar FT4. It was still under $100 and it's hot pink. It's cute and I actually like wearing it! I think it was well worth it.
  • IslandDer
    IslandDer Posts: 27
    Options
    bump!
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    A HRM and http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

If you have a computer and you're on a budget then why waste cash... you don't need extra functions, just heart rate.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Polar, Garmin, and Suunto are about the only ones that have paid for studies and use good formula's for best you can get estimates.
    Garmin and Suunto also license algorithms from Firstbeat for even better estimates.

They all ask for stats of age, weight, height, maxHR calced but can correct, VO2max calced and hidden or can correct, ect.

You can also get cheaper watch and then just plug your avg HR for the workout into a formula from a study that Polar sponsored.
    Now they advanced past this formula, or added to it, but it's a great start.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

And for best use of that, you need estimated VO2max stat, which you can do here, don't mind the title, the formula is in there:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/577664-garmin-hrm-setup-improved-calorie-estimates
  • abcmiah
    abcmiah Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been using the New Balance N4. You can get it online for about $50 bucks (I have seen it as low as $25). The manual isn't great but once you have it set up it works well. It will definitely tell you calories burned which is pretty much all I use it for.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

It doesn't tell you the calories burned??? What's the point then? I hope my sister didn't buy it... :(

There are websites that calculate your cals burned based off of weight, avg HR during activity and duration of activity. Like I stated before, if an HRM doesn't allow you to plug in your body stats, the cals burned isn't going to be accurate anyway. And the Bowflex one has no chest strap, so that's definitely not accurate.

Cals by Avg HR, weight and activity duration - http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx