My real wedding ring...

Options
13»

Replies

• chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I've been married twice and each time I've had to have my wedding ring cut off because of weight gain.

My hubby bought me a new ring when I lost a lot of weight before, but to be honest, I hate it. Now, where I've lost so much weight, my original ring is falling off, it's only the engagement ring and eternity ring that hold it on, and even they are really loose, but to me, that's MY wedding ring - the replacement has no sentimentality at all.
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've been married twice and each time I've had to have my wedding ring cut off because of weight gain.

My hubby bought me a new ring when I lost a lot of weight before, but to be honest, I hate it. Now, where I've lost so much weight, my original ring is falling off, it's only the engagement ring and eternity ring that hold it on, and even they are really loose, but to me, that's MY wedding ring - the replacement has no sentimentality at all.

This is how I feel about the replacement. It's just not the same. I know it might be dumb to some people, but when I look at the ring, the whole day (which was the most amazing perfect day of my life) just comes rushing back, and I can't help but smile. I love him soooo much. He's my best friend. I still look at him and can't believe he's mine, and we've been together 6 years. We stopped somewhere a few weeks ago to use the restroom, and when I came out he was leaning against a counter waiting for me. I couldn't believe that he was waiting for ME! That's my man!!

So yeah, sorry about the rambling there. But that original ring does mean so much to me.
  • beachbabe9
    Options
    I have the opposite problem! I'm recently engaged and we picked out a beautiful ring together. But I'm so far from my goal it's not even funny. There's no way I can loose a significant amount of weight in a healthy way by the wedding date. We're getting married in late July and I'm 50 lbs away from my goal! Yikes!!!

I'm going to have to have the ring reduced sized down eventually when I lost the weight. I'm determined to do it right this time and when the time comes the ring will be way too large. Fortunately, we bought my ring at a really great online jeweler, JAMES ALLEN, who has a great Lifetime Warranty and a very lost cost resizing service. They resize for free within 60 days but i know it'll take me at least 6 months to get to my goal....but after 60 days you can have it resized for a very small fee and they'll tighten the prongs and polish and clean it for FREE at the same time.

I thought about getting a temp ring but DF really wanted to get me something nice and convinced me that life is short and to live for the day.

Don't fret though. It's totally common to have jewelry resized and adjusted.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You can do it girl! Wonderful goal!

EDIT: I just had my engagement ring brought down from a 7.5 to a 5.5. It's amazing the weight we can carry in our hands. You'll be back in your ring before you know it.
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Everyone's stories are so sweet! I'm a sucker for love stories. :love:
  • carlijoanna
    Options
    Wise idea! A great incentive to keep going too!

Good luck

Carli
  • amandattown
    amandattown Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This post makes me feel so much better! Over Christmas I reached my top weight and had to soak my hand in freezing cold water and oil down my finger to get my engagement ring off. I no longer wear it. Every post about rings not fitting involved people who were pregnant and retaining water, not just from gaining weight. It's such a relief to know that I will lose weight in my hands and will be able to wear my ring again! Just another thing to work towards, thank you!
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    That's a great reward to look forward to! My wedding ring hasn't fit in about 4 1/2 years and we've only been married 6 years! It actually fits decently now, but I'm waiting about another 5 pounds because I don't want it to get stuck if I have some swelling. My goal is to be comfortably wearing my ring on our 6th anniversay in just over a month. I didn't want to resize mine because all my life I've worn the same size ring even within an 80 lb weight difference. It was only when I went higher than I'd ever been that it stopped fitting me. I wear a size 10 1/2 (very large hands for a woman) and it should fit me even at goal weight.
  • jilly1130
    jilly1130 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This post is sooo reassuring and motivating. I have a similar story....my engagement ring and wedding band became so tight, I too had to soak my hand in ice water and use lots of soap on my finger to get it off. It was getting to the point where my finger was red and the rings were cutting off circulation! I have just been able to put back on my engagement ring -- it fits comfortably but would still be difficult to get off. My first short term goal is to be able to put on my wedding band-- it is an eternity ring that would be hard to make bigger. It will feel so good to be able to wear my wedding set again! It is a great motivator and short time goal.

Please add me as a friend if you want to work on this goal together!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I've never been married so it was never something I had to worry about but I used to work in a jewelry store and had to cut rings off for people....so I can feel your pain. I'm a sentimental person as well as I could only imagine how tough it was for them (as well as for you) but now look at it as something good. I know you're looking forward to getting to wear it again and when you do, you'll have gained so much more back :smile:
  • jenfoxjercha
    jenfoxjercha Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My wedding ring fit the day we got married and it got a little tight but luckily I did not have to stop wearing it. I not have a sizer in my ring. It is temporary but I don't want to pay to get my ring resized until I am done with my weight loss. It can happen so don't give up.