Canadian gym for obese and overweight people only

Options
What do you all think of this?

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/gym-bans-skinny-people-173000110.html

"You've heard of discrimination against overweight people, but what about discrimination against thin gals? A gym in Canada bans "skinny" women from their gym...

Slim and svelte? Then you may be banned from Canada's new gym Body Exchange, which business model focuses primarily on obese people. In fact, they say that thin people "bring down morale."

Founder and CEO Louise Green told TheProvince.com that the gym is a "safe haven" for overweight people who may be intimidated to work out in the presence of those who are fit.

"Many of our clients have not had successful fitness pasts so I can see the anxiety before we get started and I can see the relief and happiness after we finish," she said. "People are often too fearful to become active. There wasn't a model that offered camaraderie. I used to walk into fitness classes where nobody would even say 'Hi.' This has got to be fun or it's not going to work."

And, Body Exchange client Lisa Schaffer said she loves that there aren't "tiny little Lululemon people running around" the gym."

Replies

• kllyeve
    kllyeve Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It might work after all having people in the same position and with the same goals as you often can help everyone acheive their goals.

If there was a "graduation" to a sister facility for those who acheived their goal where they could maintain the friendships and support developed in the "fat" gym, I think that would also help the maintenance aspect - which as we all know is sometimes harder than losing the weight in the first place.
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Considering the other threads I see on these boards with the judgement, etc. I think it would be great for insecure/first time workouts where you can be around people in the same position as you.

Me personally, I don't care what other people think when I work out, I'm here doing the same thing as you, I just happened to have more to work off :bigsmile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i like the graduation idea, otherwise what happens once you lose the weight, do hey just stop you at the door? does security come and sweep you off the treadmill?
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think it's a good idea.

My old roommate REFUSED to go to the gym alone. She just felt so uncomfortable because she was so big and everyone else at the gym was so small. After awhile of having her hand held she was okay to go alone but she would have never set foot in that gym without support otherwise.

Lots of women DON'T have someone to go with them. They don't have that support... and I think a gym like this would make them more likely to step foot in the door and start.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I like the idea! The fitness needs of people who are obese is completely different than that of someone who is fit. I think classes and whatnot targeting people in the obese category would be a huge benefit for them. Classes in particular can be intimidating if you know going in that there is no way you can physically keep up. I would of been more than willing to start off in a gym like this, but as mentioned, once your comfortable and make friends do they kick you out when you get too skinny?
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea for the same reasons other people have posted. When some is insecure about their body it's nice to have people along side you who are fighting the same battle. It's not a dig at thin people. Fit people of all sizes are wonderful!
  • lilbrowngirlsj
    lilbrowngirlsj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I also think it's a good idea. It's tough to get out there and workout. Providing an atmosphere where people feel more comfortable and have people like themselves around is a good thing. It sounds like the "Curves" gyms we have here.