How do you log your water

Options
2»

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you truly think you're not getting enough. Now, I just drink enough so that my pee isn't yellow. Eventually you figure out what you need. If I sweat more, I drink more. You also have water in food that you eat. Some examples for me are: the 1 cup of water I put in my oatmeal. water in pasta, fruit, yogurt, etc. 8, 8oz cups of water is a general rule for everyone of ALL sizes. I'm petite so I'd be peeing all day if I drank 8 glasses in addition to the other water I get.

When I first started MFP I wasn't sure how much water I was drinking so I started out with 8oz with my morning vitamins, 8 oz with my oatmeal (or with breakfast), 8 oz with a mid morning snack, 8 more at lunch, 8 more if I had an afternoon snack (or not), 8 more with dinner, 8 more with an after dinner snack or with meds. It all adds up fast and that worked very well for me. I don't particularly even LIKE water unless I really work out hard, get dehydrated and feel very thirsty. Sometimes flavored water makes it taste better! I'll even use the 'feared' diet, generic koolaids, but it works for me and doesn't scare me. :) I know that I drink enough so I no longer log it. I feel like I spend enough time logging food and exercise already. If you need to log it to get in the habit of drinking more, then log it until you're used to drinking regularly.
    Good luck and do what works for you!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    A cup is a unit of measure representing 8 oz, while a glass is a vessel that contains a variable amount of water.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It's true that 1 cup of water is 8oz, but people might confuse that with 1 GLASS of water. Not every glass is 8oz. At work, I use a Nalgene (32oz or 4 cups) and log it that way. I have 8oz glasses, 16oz glasses, even 32oz glasses at my house.

So.. long answer short.. I log 1 cup as 8 ounces. I know measuring your water seems pointless, but when I measure it and log it, I feel I'm more motivated to keep with it.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I measure my urine. I figure that it is a more accurate measure of the amount of the water that my body is using.

Example: if I drink 16oz ( or two cups ) and I urinate 12oz ( or 1 cup and a half ) I log 1/2 a cup.
  • sarahruizfitnessjourney
    Options
    It's true that 1 cup of water is 8oz, but people might confuse that with 1 GLASS of water. Not every glass is 8oz. At work, I use a Nalgene (32oz or 4 cups) and log it that way. I have 8oz glasses, 16oz glasses, even 32oz glasses at my house.

So.. long answer short.. I log 1 cup as 8 ounces. I know measuring your water seems pointless, but when I measure it and log it, I feel I'm more motivated to keep with it.
    That is exactly why I log mine just to motivate me to drink more and also so I know if I'm drinking enough. I know eventually it will just be habit to drink more but until then I like to keep track and hold myself accountable.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I measure my urine. I figure that it is a more accurate measure of the amount of the water that my body is using.

Example: if I drink 16oz ( or two cups ) and I urinate 12oz ( or 1 cup and a half ) I log 1/2 a cup.

I only drink urine, so how should I log that?
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    greasygriddle_wechnage Posts: 246 Member
    Options

d*mn right ya do! lol :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • sarahruizfitnessjourney
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you truly think you're not getting enough. Now, I just drink enough so that my pee isn't yellow. Eventually you figure out what you need. If I sweat more, I drink more. You also have water in food that you eat. Some examples for me are: the 1 cup of water I put in my oatmeal. water in pasta, fruit, yogurt, etc. 8, 8oz cups of water is a general rule for everyone of ALL sizes. I'm petite so I'd be peeing all day if I drank 8 glasses in addition to the other water I get.

When I first started MFP I wasn't sure how much water I was drinking so I started out with 8oz with my morning vitamins, 8 oz with my oatmeal (or with breakfast), 8 oz with a mid morning snack, 8 more at lunch, 8 more if I had an afternoon snack (or not), 8 more with dinner, 8 more with an after dinner snack or with meds. It all adds up fast and that worked very well for me. I don't particularly even LIKE water unless I really work out hard, get dehydrated and feel very thirsty. Sometimes flavored water makes it taste better! I'll even use the 'feared' diet, generic koolaids, but it works for me and doesn't scare me. :) I know that I drink enough so I no longer log it. I feel like I spend enough time logging food and exercise already. If you need to log it to get in the habit of drinking more, then log it until you're used to drinking regularly.
    Good luck and do what works for you!
    Thank you, that's exactly why I'm logging it to get in the habit of drinking more. I'm sure once I've been doing it for a while and it becomes more habit I don't need to rely on logging it.
  • keenster
    keenster Posts: 16
    Options

I only drink urine, so how should I log that?

:laugh:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Track it whatever way works for you, the "water" counter is a picture of a glass with a number on it (since we've established in the thread that a cup is a "measurement size generally recognized as 8oz especially when referring to water as per recommendations.

If your only glass (bottle, beverage container) whatever is 16 ounces you can track "1" on the picture of the glass.. I drank 1 of my containers of water... If your only container is 32 ounces... have 2 of them for the day to hit your 64 recommended ounces... in the food diary it's nothing more than a glass with a number on it. use the number to represent whatever you want it to .
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options

:laugh: LOL
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I do basically the same as you. My bottles hold 32 oz. One bottle = 4 glasses.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Logging water is an unnecessary time vampire.
    Drink when you are thirsty, drink water with meals and drink a little more when you are active. Drink a little extra if you are trying to lose weight.
    Takes less than 2 seconds between calls at work or when at home to click the little up arrow in my app. Water logged. I log 3 at a time as that's what my bottle holds, but I barely need to anymore either. I drink over 10-15 cups of water a day at least.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    what.gif
    WHAT?