Always going over sugar for the day

Options
2»

Replies

• OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ I actually posted a blog in reference to this ... I no longer track my sugar, it just isn't a big enough issue to concern myself with ... most of my sugar comes from " Natural Sources " and I rarely eat any processed foods. If you stick with one ingredient foods and eat a variety of veggies with an equally balance of fruits ... you'll be just fine !

Here is the link to my blog if you're interested :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/laney540?month=201205

Cheers ! :flowerforyou:
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    As others have said - I don't track sugar, there are more important macros to worry about! I generally have around two servings of fruit a day and never worry about naturally occuring sugar! Like everything else it is the processed stuff that is more cause for concern! :drinker:
  • CleMike5
    CleMike5 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ~ I actually posted a blog in reference to this ... I no longer track my sugar, it just isn't a big enough issue to concern myself with ... most of my sugar comes from " Natural Sources " and I rarely eat any processed foods. If you stick with one ingredient foods and eat a variety of veggies with an equally balance of fruits ... you'll be just fine !

Here is the link to my blog if you're interested :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/laney540?month=201205

Cheers ! :flowerforyou:

Well after all the replies i'm just going to keep on doing what i'm doing and ignore the sugars from fruits. I will check it out! Thanks!
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    How does one stay under 45 grams of sugar a day with eating normal fruit servings. I always go over without eating anything unhealthy. Does fruit not count? An apple is 27 grams of sugar which is already over half of my daily goal.

The sugar recommendation is for ADDED sugars not naturally occurring sugars like those found in fruit. Makes it hard to track on MFP because it is all lumped together. You may find a better thing to track is fiber. Set it for 30 g each day :smile:
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The sugar standards are crazy on MFP. I eat next to no sugar except in the fruit I eat. Two pieces of fruit can put me over for the day. I know I'm supposed to eat fruit, so I ignore it. I just make sure that the other food I eat has 4 grams of sugar or less per serving and has no unhealthy crap. If I do that, then I consider that I'm doing well.

Sugar "standard" here is not set by MFP. It's AHA's recommendation. Moderation is key, don't blow off sugar limits!

"The recommended sugar intake for adult women is 5 teaspoons (20 grams) of sugar per day, for adult men, it’s 9 teaspoons (36 grams) daily, and for children, it's 3 teaspoons (12 grams) a day." - AHA recommendation
  • dundm1
    dundm1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try adding fruits that have a lower sugar content such as pineapple and strawberries, and stay away from bananas and peaches. See if that helps in reducing the sugar numbers. :)
  • Rapunzelmom
    Rapunzelmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The sugar standards are crazy on MFP. I eat next to no sugar except in the fruit I eat. Two pieces of fruit can put me over for the day. I know I'm supposed to eat fruit, so I ignore it. I just make sure that the other food I eat has 4 grams of sugar or less per serving and has no unhealthy crap. If I do that, then I consider that I'm doing well.

Sugar "standard" here is not set by MFP. It's AHA's recommendation. Moderation is key, don't blow off sugar limits!

"The recommended sugar intake for adult women is 5 teaspoons (20 grams) of sugar per day, for adult men, it’s 9 teaspoons (36 grams) daily, and for children, it's 3 teaspoons (12 grams) a day." - AHA recommendation

And therefore does the AHA disregard the recommendations that we consume 2 cups of fruit and 2 1/2 cups of vegetables per day? It does not appear so. Indeed they recommend 4-5 servings of fruit per day. . In which case MFP's application of the sugar intake is faulty, as it does not distinguish added sugars from the natural ones which AHA does not recommend be limited.
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    You should try to limit yourself to fruit and switch to some veggies! Carrots, peas, whatever!

Sugar is sugar. I agree with this.

Baby carrots, celery and peanut butter, and green beans have saved my fruit snacking sugar laden days.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I have gone over on my sugar every day since I started here almost two months ago, and I'm losing 1-2lbs a week consistently. I ignore it. Nobody is going to tell me not to eat strawberries in June. :)
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I just don't pay attention to my sugar much anymore. As long as it's clean then I am not too worried about it until the time comes to be really strict on cutting. If you want to stay below your sugar goal then you better say goodbye to fruit. two servings will pretty much have you at the goal or above. My rare low sugar days are usually just meats, veggies, some starches, and cottage cheese.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    While I enjoy the tracking mechanism, I disagree with their calorie distribution greatly. It seems as if Myrfitnesspal would just have us all eating white bread and white rice with their exorbitant distribution for carbohydrates, with a lower than reccommended fiber minimum, and a recommendation for sugar which is almost impossible to stay under even for those of us who eat zero added sugar, and a protein recommendation which is too low for satiety or muscle building.
    What basically I have different goals than that which are laid out for me. I keep my carbohydrates under 100 grams, my protein as close to 100 grams as possible, and aim for 25 grams of fiber. . . And the amount of carbohydrates which comes from fruit is irrelevant to me. Of course i cannot eat an excessive amount of fruit because my cabohydrates will go over 100.

I'm riding with Joline on this one. I use MFP for it's awesome tracking and it's very good caloric intake suggestions, but I either alter or ignore their distributions. The sugar one doesn't make any sense at all and the protein is incredibly low for most active people. To be fair, MFP was created with weight to be reduced strictly by cutting calories so that could explain the low protein, but the sugar thing is a joke. So my advice would be to ignore the sugar and use the protein and fiber number as a *minimum* instead of a ceiling.

You can also adjust the settings so you don't have those red numbers staring at you.