metabolism???

Ok so I've never had good metabolism. Ever since I was born, really. But it seems to have gotten even worse since I started dieting/exsersicing 2 weeks ago. Like my metabolism is nonexistent at this point. Shouldnt I be the opposite right about now???

Please tell me someone has some advice for me. Cant lose weight if everything goes in and never comes out! Haha. THANKS!

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Cant lose weight if everything goes in and never comes out!

I'm not sure what you mean by the above
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I dont think you understand what "metabolism" is... O_o

And no, your metabolism has not "been slow your entire life."

Are you referring to your bowel movements?
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Metabolic rate slows down when dieting.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Ok so I've never had good metabolism. Ever since I was born, really. But it seems to have gotten even worse since I started dieting/exsersicing 2 weeks ago. Like my metabolism is nonexistent at this point. Shouldnt I be the opposite right about now???

Please tell me someone has some advice for me. Cant lose weight if everything goes in and never comes out! Haha. THANKS!

I don't know what is meant by any of this. Your metabolism can't be nonexistent.

Are you talking about constipation, when you say nothing comes out?? If so, make sure you are eating enough fiber and fat, and that you are drinking plenty of fluids. If all else fails, drink prune juice with Metamusil in it followed by a lot of water. You won't keep that in there long unless you have a true obstruction, in which case you need to see a doctor.
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member

Weight loss is a slow process if you're doing it right. I've ready it's only really healthy to lose a pound a week (which is what I'm doing).

Keep watching what your eating and exercise. Your metabolism will kick up once you get fitter (or so I've heard).
  • I have been told that the metabolism thing is just hype. Makes sense..

There is a book that describes cleansing your liver which is supposed to help

But I am just looking at calories.

My trainer says if you stay in your calorie range you could lose eating ice cream.

He would know. He does that. Breaks all the rules. eats all at the end of the day, whatever.

But if you are eating the right calories, less than needed by a bit, you HAVE to lose weight.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Your metabolism cannot be non-existant. It's there and always has and always will be there.
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Blaming your metabolism is an excuse people use to justify weight gain is out of their control. Very few people actually have a bad metabolism, and it's due to a condition called hypothyroidism. These people take medications like synthyroid, a synthetic hormone, to even it out.. So they can't really blame their metabolism either.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Blaming your metabolism is an excuse people use to justify weight gain is out of their control. Very few people actually have a bad metabolism, and it's due to a condition called hypothyroidism. These people take medications like synthyroid, a synthetic hormone, to even it out.. So they can't really blame their metabolism either.

I need to introduce you to my Endocrinologist...
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    If you're eating healthier you're probably taking in more fiber than usual which can be constipating. Give it time! It's slow for all of us, I think. The parts of our 'metabolism' we can affect, all we can do is move more, build more muscle, that's about all I know of, short of getting treatment for thyroid problems if needed. (Yes, you can eat more to burn more but if you want to add 100 calories to burn 5-10 more metabolizing it, that's silly.)
  • njgal35
    njgal35 Posts: 28
    eat more fiber
    prunes, aloe vera help

I am in the same boat.

I am eating more often, drinking more water, taking aloe vera, taking a green tea supplement.
  • imissbagels
    imissbagels Posts: 166 Member
    Thank you all.

Yes I was referring to constipation. I guess I always though they were one in the same. How fast/how much your body breaks down. So in that sense, yea I feel like I've had it all my life.

Ok, so the main point is to eat more fiber then?
  • guineebrat
    guineebrat Posts: 23 Member
    yep stay in the 1200 calorie range wen u exercise try not to eat up the calories u gained build muscel l do strengh training and mix up your routine eat protiens try to eat all your carbs in the am and at lunch none after 2 pm two daze out of the week eat only 50 grams of carbs for 2 daze in a row lots of water i just had a mini dairy queen cookiedough blizzard and yummy but istill am losing inches and lbs its a life style change and it does take tyme not all of us are them same find your mix and start making positive choices and changes:wink:
  • rchlht
    rchlht Posts: 7 Member
    hmmm um, no. Having Hypothyroidism effects so much of your bodies ability to lose weight. Main stream endo's will tell you as long as levels are coming back normal that your are fine. Millions of people with hypothyroidism beg to differ. No, it's not an excuse. I have hashimoto's disease and I can assure you your statement is false.