Done with excuses.

Options
kapzilla
kapzilla Posts: 84 Member
To be honest, I think "dieting" is a poor choice of words for me. I do not want to just diet, but partake in an overhaul of my lifestyle!

My name is Kappy, and I'm 28 years old. I am a stay at home mom to my two glorious little boys. My oldest is 4 and a half years old, and my youngest is 1 year a few months in change. To be honest, they have wrecked havoc on my body.

I started off at 125 pounds when I got pregnant with my first. I was enlisted in the US Army, and in wonderful shape! I got out of active duty a month before my son was born, and at his birth I weighed 162 pounds, which was the heaviest I've ever weighed (at that time).

My problems started there. I was out of the Army, and I didn't WANT to exercise. "I did my time" I thought to myself. If I only knew that would be the death of my "nice" body. I wore a size 4, and that quickly changed to size 8. I chalked it up to my post pregnancy body. I was lying to myself, I know now.

I stopped smoking (I was a pack a day smoker for a long time, cut down drastically when I was pregnant--I wish I just quit then...), and my weight ballooned. I kept wondering if quitting was really the right choice. It was! My weight got up to 165, and I managed to get it down to 155 lbs. I was okay with that. I was happy, and feeling healthy from the lack of cigarettes.

I got pregnant with our second in May 2010. I started off over weight, and ended up with gestational diabetes. I gained way too much weight at first. I think I gained 10 pounds in my first trimester alone. That's bad! My OBs and nurses told me I was putting myself at risk for developing the diabetes. I knew they were right, so I slowed down. I ended up gaining 5 pounds (give or take) until I was 28 weeks. Then I took "the test." Since I had failed the 1 hour glucose tolerance test at 11 weeks, I was automatically given the 3 hour GTT. I didn't just fail it, I BOMBED it. My nurse read off my first 3 results--fasting, 1 hour, and 2 hour. My fasting was slightly elevated. My 1 hour blood draw was 223 and my 2 hour draw was 186. Right there I knew I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, since I had elevated sugars on 2 of the 3 draws. I got my glucose meter 2 stinking days before Thanksgiving. Oh, cruel fate.

I will say that it was actually quite easy to follow my diabetic diet. Boring and monotonous at times, but easy to follow. I only gained 3 pounds for the rest of my pregnancy, and that was at the very end. The amazing side effect of being on that diet, is how I felt! I felt great!! I knew when my blood sugar spiked too high, because I felt horrible when it did (ask me how I did for Thanksgiving.. HAH).

My son was born just barely making it 37 weeks, and I weighed 183. My new highest. More than a year later, I am still in the 170s. I'm somewhat glad that I can still say that it's not my heaviest, but it's still not good. I'm 5 feet and 2 inches tall. My weight is unhealthy, and I know it. My health is now at risk. I'm at risk for having a heart attack all ready. That's scary. My cholesterol is getting dangerously high, and now my blood pressure is following suit. I am predisposed for heart complications from both paternal and maternal sides of my family.

I am done making these stupid excuses. It's time for a change, and that change starts today. I've watched my husband for the last few months use MFP, and he's lost like 30 pounds all ready. He is my motivation. If he can do it, then so can I!

Replies

• tammyopolin
    tammyopolin Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You can do it, Kappy. <3
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hello! I think we had ours sons around the same time (my son was born Feb 2011). I was overweight to begin with but the "baby weight" (how long can I call it that?) is still here! I am only 5'0 tall and started on MFP at 187 lbs. I am currently at 180 lbs. Still a long ways to go....

What is your goal? Friend me if you want
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    love your title of the post. That is what I told myself this time around. There is NO excuses to living a healthy lifestyle. Everyone has their days and its not always 100% but If you really want it it can and WILL happen. feel free to add me
  • babygotback560
    babygotback560 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Remember Take It Day At A TIme... You Can Do It... You Can Feel Free To Add Me... I'm A Stay At Home Mom And My Son IS 1yr... So I'm Always Here To Listen... My Motivation Is To Do It For My Son... I Already Have Enough Health Issues.. Dont Need My Weight To Be One... Good Luck
  • kapzilla
    Options
    You can do it, Kappy. <3

Aww, I love you, Tammy! You give me a lot of motivation too, you know? Watching your transformation is very inspiring. <3
    Hello! I think we had ours sons around the same time (my son was born Feb 2011). I was overweight to begin with but the "baby weight" (how long can I call it that?) is still here! I am only 5'0 tall and started on MFP at 187 lbs. I am currently at 180 lbs. Still a long ways to go....

What is your goal? Friend me if you want

I was due in February '11! My little man ended up coming early in January, just over a week after my birthday! I guess he thought January was pretty cool, too.

My goal is 135lbs for now. I want to lose the weight the right way. Many of the people I know where I live are taking a supplement called A.C.E.. I've briefly looked into it, but since I am still breastfeeding, it is not safe. More reason for me to do it the right way. :)
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I did not know I was inspiring you this much. This makes me beam with happiness. I am very proud of you for finally joining MFP with me. I know you can do it, because I know how tenacious you are when you really want something.

I love you!! :)
  • susi819
    susi819 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great post! Congratulations on your decision to become healthier and fitter!! Making this decision is the first major step. I have taken it 1 day at a time, but have found that constancy is what pays off. You'll have easier days than others, but don't be discouraged, you'll get there!! God bless and good luck!! You can add me if you want :)
  • kapzilla
    Options
    I did not know I was inspiring you this much. This makes me beam with happiness. I am very proud of you for finally joining MFP with me. I know you can do it, because I know how tenacious you are when you really want something.

I love you!! :)

Why do you think I give you so much crap about it? You were making me jealous, but now my jealousy can fuel my competitiveness. ;)
  • Weight_less
    Weight_less Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Done with excuses! I love it! :)
  • leahsays
    leahsays Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    "Diets" are stupid & easy to break. I've been calling this a "lifestyle change," & I know it's cheesy, but that's exactly what it is! I am SOPROUD of you.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Great post! Best of luck in reaching your goals. Remember, one day at time!