Steel Cut Oats

April0815
April0815 Posts: 780 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I just bought the steel cut oatmeal. Is there a quick and easy way to make this?

Replies

• Not really, but they are worth it. I cook mine on the stovetop and add cinnamon and dried cranberries at the end. I did a google search last night for steel cut oats and found a page about cooking them in a crock pot. Probably would be worth trying if you didn't want it on the stove top for too long.

Good luck!
  • Kristi82
    Kristi82 Posts: 80 Member
    I make enough for 2 or 3 days and then reheat the leftovers when I want them. That way it's quick when I need it. I like putting a little bit of almond butter and blueberries in mine. Sometimes I put some Splenda Brown Sugar Blend when I want it sweeter.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Thanks to another MFP friend I now cook it ahead of time and have leftovers that last me a few days. And all you have to do is reheat, maybe add a little bit of water or milk for creamier oats and other ingredients such as fruit, peanut butter, chopped nuts and/or a scoop of your favorite whey protein.

Boil 4 cups of water, for creamier oats you can boil 3 c of water and 1 c of your favorite milk.
    Add 1 cup of steel cut oats.
    Bring to a boil again and boil for 2 minutes (watch it so it wont spill over)
    Bring temp to low, cover and cook for 30 minutes.

You can then put it in the refrigerator and scoop out the amount you want to eat in the morning or any time of the day you are craving it. :laugh:

1/4 c dry oats yields about 3/4 c to almost a cup of oats.

I love it!!! It is my favorite breakfast! :flowerforyou:
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    bump! I recently bought some and haven't done anything with it because honestly...I didn't know how! Thanks! Keep the ideas comin!
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    What are steele cut oats? Are they better for you than regular quaker oats?
  • bump
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    I may be cooking them incorrectly but I just cook them in the microwave. Put 1/2 cup in a glass bowl, put in enough water than at least half the oats are covered and cook for 3 minutes or so....
  • alf1163
    Steel cut oats are less processed than rolled oats. Oats are steamed so they can be flattened, rolled, so they can cook faster. During that process it can lose some of the nutrients. They have a nutty flavor and the texture is different than rolled oats, crunchy. Steel cut oats have more fiber than rolled oats and definitely more than instant oats. Instant oats are very processed and if you buy the flavor kind mind as well buy sugary cereals. :laugh: I buy them from a bulk bin at a local Sun Harvest. They had them on sale for .69 cents a pound. That was a bargain. I hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • April0815
    Steel cut oats are less processed than rolled oats. Oats are steamed so they can be flattened, rolled, so they can cook faster. During that process it can lose some of the nutrients. They have a nutty flavor and the texture is different than rolled oats, crunchy. Steel cut oats have more fiber than rolled oats and definitely more than instant oats. Instant oats are very processed and if you buy the flavor kind mind as well buy sugary cereals. :laugh: I buy them from a bulk bin at a local Sun Harvest. They had them on sale for .69 cents a pound. That was a bargain. I hope this helps. :flowerforyou:

Thank you!!! I love oatmeal, I used to eat the instant every morning. I would get so sleepy afterwards. My trainer told me it was due to the oatmeal and the best oatmeal to eat is the steel cut. I will have to do what was recommended, to cook enough for a few days. Does it need to be sweetened?
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    I will have to give steel cut oats another try, ive tried them in the past and just couldnt get past the bland flavor...i added bananas and cinnamon and all kinds of things and still couldn't stomach them:ohwell: But i know there better for me than that instant stuff im eating:embarassed:
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Are the Old Fashioned Quaker Oats steel cut? It doesn't specify on the label.

Demetria
  • April0815
    N0, those are rolled oats
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Someone suggested to soak them over night. I tried it and they cooked up in the micro in 5 minutes.

I put them together per instructions, and then placed them in the fridge. They soaked up the water and still had just about enough for nuking.

I like 1 packet of sugar in the raw and some blueberries or strawberries.......drool, now I gotta go make some!!:laugh:

:flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    You can sweeten them with agave nectar, maple syrup, any of that stuff people use. I really don't. Also you can use truvia, splenda, any artificial sweeteners but you shouldnt. :laugh: I put strawberries or blueberries in mine and sprinkle them with cinnamon. I am also into adding a scoop of chocolate or vanilla whey protein and that sweetens it. I also add chopped almonds or walnuts. I just love it!! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.