Headphones on bike?

TylerJ76
TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
Just curious where you all stand on this. I don't do it, but I was thinking about doing it. I ride on my local bike path, and would never dream of doing it on the street.

Good idea or bad?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    I'd probably be more likely to do it on the street than on the bike path. The streets are safer here, lol.

One ear in is probably ok. I prefer not to tempt it.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    You can wear a single ear bud and keep it at a lower volume and still hear traffic, etc.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    I run and bike both at the gym and outside on the streets around my house. When I'm at the gym I can't do anything without music. But when I'm home and outside, I never listen to any music. I always want to be completely aware of anything going on around me, don't want to be distracted.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    I think its really daft to have both in on a road , you wouldnt hear the traffic !!
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    one ear...don't wanna become a road-patty
  • I think bad idea... . Even on a cycle path you still need to be able to hear bikes coming up behind you.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Bad idea --- bike path or road way.
  • drapisking
    drapisking Posts: 73 Member
    I use the OneGood earbud, puts the sound into one ear so I can still hear traffic.
  • I crank out 12 miles almost every day on our bike trail and I wear headphones. I have a mirror on my handle bars for watching who is coming up behind me. I'm also one of those people that prefers not to wear a helmet. I guess I am a risk taker...even at 51. Life is to be enjoyed to the fullest. A bike helmet makes my scalp itch and music makes it a very pleasant experience. Too each his own!!!
  • carloc
    carloc Posts: 135 Member
    I have ridden bikes for 25yrs, I would never ever wear ear phones, or ride with anyone that is wearing ear phones. Its a distraction and you have everything to lose.

My advise just don't do it, concentrate on your riding and environment. It only take one time and you are done. Ride your bike, get fit, have fun but be safe.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    i hate riding without music
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    You can wear a single ear bud and keep it at a lower volume and still hear traffic, etc.

This is what I do!
  • tablefanphone
    tablefanphone Posts: 9 Member
    I think it's a bad idea. You should be able to hear what's around you, even on a bike path. I know when I'm cycling and say "on your left" when I pass someone with ear buds or headphones and they can't hear me, it makes me worry that they might move into my path, not realizing I'm passing them.
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    I built a mount for my smartphone so I can listen to the music like a stereo on a motorcycle and I can also have my GPS running at the same time which is fun to see my speed and map location. I have worn buds on the path too. If you are observent its not a bad idea. If you peddle head down with or whithout the buds your asking for it. I would not do it on the street ever. But I live in a city with bad drivers that dont share the road and are too busy texting.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Sure, why not? I wore them all the time when I rode on a designated bike path by my old house. I didn't blast the music though...just kept the volume low enough that I could still hear outside noises. In 3 years of doing that, I never had a single instance of not hearing or seeing another person, bike or vehicle.
  • chicago_dad
    chicago_dad Posts: 357
    simple solution: 1 ear in, 1 ear out. The ear that's out is the one closest to the cars/street. done and done.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    It's not good to "ever" wear headphones when biking anywhere. The same goes for running. You need to be able to hear traffic, sounds of all sorts. Moreover, in the special case of women, headphones can keep them from being aware of danger lurking in brush and the side of the lane, path or road. Nothing is more important than your safety and that of others - just like when driving.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    My area doesn't have a lot of traffic so I feel fine having my music, but I just keep it low so I can still hear traffic. Of course, the one time I got hit by a van (I had the right of way at a cross walk for a busy street) I actually wasn't wearing ear buds at all....sooo yeah....
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Just curious where you all stand on this. I don't do it, but I was thinking about doing it. I ride on my local bike path, and would never dream of doing it on the street.

Good idea or bad?

I wear head phones 95% of the time. I only ride on the street.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Probably not safe.......