Nearly 50, and I need to lose at least that!

Options
50anita
50anita Posts: 7 Member
My nickname is Anita. New to this program. I also left Weight Watchers. Too much freedom.
I appreciate My Fitness Pal. I have found that the database is larger, saving me a LOT of time. This makes recording what I've eaten easier & faster. I am hopeful I'll stick with it.

Summer is always easier for me to lose weight. I have more time to record & to prepare my food. As an educator, the school months are very hard to keep to a program.

My goal is to lose as much as possible this summer, using MFP and Jazzercise. If I have a good jump start, and take time to plan out my meals now, perhaps I can keep it going when school resumes.

A week long tour of colleges in the car is coming in three days. I need advice on how to take healthy foods that will travel well and eat right (and cheaply) at fast food places.

Thanks for any encouragement you can send!

Replies

• lovemylatte
    lovemylatte Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers recently, too, and it didn't work for me. Now I'm counting calories, doing Jazzercise, and starting to lose...finally! Hope it's going well for you! Amanda

BTW, what is MFP?
  • lscrivy
    lscrivy Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi Anita, I am new to MFP. Today is my first day, but we sound like we have similar goals. I am 49 (will be 50 in May) and have about 60 pounds to lose. Feel free to check out my profile. I also need encouragement and support and am happy to provide the same for you. I am not sure how we become friends on each other's page. Perhaps you or someone else can tell me. Thanks.
  • lscrivy
    lscrivy Posts: 7
    Options
    MFP is "My Fitness Pal" :) But OMG, "lovemylatte" I just noticed your name ... I sooooo love my latte too !! Grande Skinny Caramel Latte with 10 pumps of sugar free caramel with extra foam and drizzle, in a venti cup .... every morning, 7 days a week .... 260 calories a day (as close as I can estimate!)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Look up "Healthy foods for students" by Scooby.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Hi Anita - I'm also 50 and I've been here for several years and toyed with my goal weight, but more importantly, I found fitness. This site is awesome and I have some great running friends and lifting friends.

My go to on the road is beef jerky, fruit, peanuts/almonds (in moderation) and water. Fast food is a tough one. You should take a few moments ahead of time to check out various restaurant's websites for nutritional information. I will generally opt for a simple cheeseburger or a salad with a diet coke (shhhhh....it's one of my vices!).

Good luck to you and don't let your age be an obstacle.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I also, did WW for a while and found that although I lost some weight, it wasn't as healthy for me as I wasn't getting the proper balance of nutrients and I plateaued out. I switched here and I have done quite well. I am almost to my goal weight ( probably would have been there, except, I enjoyed my Grandson's birthday party a little too much last weekend. lol.)
    When I need to eat at fast foods, I usually check the menu ahead of time, but McDonald's has a great Southwestern Grilled Chicken salad (be sure you order grilled Chicken and not crispy, there is a huge difference in calories) and Chickfila has a really good Grilled Chicken and Fruit Salad. I usually ask for lemon for my salads rather than dressing and often add pepper to the salads.
    I also, usually keep a protein bar in my purse in case I run into a situation where there is nothing healthy or I might get too hungry before I can go out and I don't want to be ravenous and then eat more than I should.
    Denny's and Ihop have some slim options for breakfast with fruit and egg whites, etc.
    Hope this helps.