Loss of Motivation - Need a kick start!

Options
I have lost all motivation. I find myself constantly making excuses to go to the gym or to get out of doing physical activities. I have changed my ways a lot in the past few months, but have yet to see the results I want. With that, I give up!

I had been going to the gym daily for a few months, then went down to 3 times a week due to working 2 jobs. Now, I find myself NEVER working out. I feel alone in my struggle, and have trouble with pushing myself to change. I want to, I just don't know how.

I don't know how to use multiple machines in the gym, especially the weights. I know, I know, ask the staff to show me. I feel so intimidated by the trainers as well as others working out in the gym, I think they'll look at me as if I'm stupid and fat. I know it's their job, but I guess my mind gets the best of me.

If there were any tips that have helped you to keep motivated.

Please help me reach my goal.

Replies

• Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The motivation and drive to stick with it has to come from within you. You are going to have times you don't want to do it the key is to just go freakin do it. After it's done you'll feel like.. i dont know why i didn't just do it sooner.
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I agree with Nikkei, the motivation has to come from within. Or maybe the gym isn't for you. Would you be happier doing DVDs at home? Or maybe going out for a walk or a run. Do you feel comfortable running? Would a program like Couch 2 5K motivate you?

Find your motivation. Look at motivating pictures online, think about what you want to accomplish. I love using BodyRock.tv as a workout program. It is a 12 minute workout and I feel awesome after it. Plus the workouts are all free. If you follow them on Facebook you can see the success stories.

Good luck!
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

You can always ask someone working on the machines that looks approachable for tips on the machines - or just discreetly watch them to see how they set the machine up and how they use it, etc.

Also, try doing "chores" for your work out. Like walking the dog, raking leaves, cutting grass, cleaning the house - you will be amazed at how many calories 2 hours of cleaning burns! Plus, you have to do these things anyway.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I agree - no one can motivate you to do anything long term. They may inspire you for a few days, but you are the only one that can make yourself change.

However, why do you need to be motivated to go to the gym or eat right? In other words, there are certain things in life that you don't need motivation for - its just a responsibility that you HAVE to do, no matter if you WANT to or not. Treat your health like that.

There are plenty of days that I'm tired or just don't want to go work out, but you can't give yourself the option of backing out or you will. After a while, it just becomes part of your life.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    What if you called your gym and spoke with a manager? You could explain your situation (intimidated, don't know how to use everything, need a morale boost), and see if they'll make an appointment for you to have someone show you around? That way, you have an appointment you "have to" keep to go to the gym, and the manager should pick someone non-threatening/non-judgmental to help walk you around again. Pick their brain as they show you the moves (how many reps would you suggest for X goal? what weight would work best if I want X result?), and you'll even get a mini-private training session out of it for free! :wink:

No matter what, though, I wanted to say good for you for coming on here and asking for help. That took guts.
  • TiffehWantsToLose
    Options
    Thank you guys for the feedback

I think I'm going to try BodyRock.tv. I have done a few of her workouts on youtube in the past. They seemed to have worked.