Use of oil in food

Options
2»

Replies

• shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have not used olive oil in months. And I cook a LOT.
    Veggies: Teflon pan ... water and spices ... steam them! (You can put them in a pot too)
    Also, just find recipes that don't require oil. soooo many out there. I don't miss oil. I have some in my house too, since I never got rid of it when I stopped using it.
    Well cooking spray, I guess that's technically oil, just spray it though, don't use a lot!!! I use that like twice a month though, hardly ever.
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I typically sautée vegetables in water or vegetable broth. All you need is the liquid to keep it from sticking to the pan. Works well and cuts out a lot of unnecessary fat and calories. I'd much rather spend that 100 calories on something I can chew rather than something I can barely taste.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    depends on the oil. There are oils out there that the fats are not bad for you. Not all oil = fat.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Just put some spaghetti squash to cook in the oven. No oil. I'll save it for the turkey meat sauce that goes with it :)
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I almost always use some kind of cooking spray instead of oil.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    oh yeah I also use non-stick pans, I have the Paula Dean set, It actually says in the booklet that oil is not needed unless you want it for flavor, aka fat lol
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    We use small amounts of olive oil..except for higher heat things like stir fry. Then its a small amount if peanut oil. For eggs..real butter. Just a little makes an awesome taste difference.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't use oil when I roast my vegetables. I don't use anything, I just roast them.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    That's what I did today. Just roasted them. They were a bit dry but next time I'll spray water.

I don't like non-stick pans because of the Teflon coating and the issues surrounding it. I have stainless steel utensils. Chicken broth is also a good tip as is just a spray here and there. Don't want to eliminate olive oil as I believe in it's value.