Xylitol

Options
Does anyone out there know if Xylitol is any better (or worse) for you than artifical sweeteners? I do know that Xylitol has a low glycemic index so maybe this would be a better option for diabetics and such.

Thoughts?

Replies

• alaskagal
    Options
    Does anyone out there know if Xylitol is any better (or worse) for you than artifical sweeteners? I do know that Xylitol has a low glycemic index so maybe this would be a better option for diabetics and such.

Thoughts?
  • its time for change
    Options
    Xylitol is supposed to be very good for you. This is what I use. I will not use any artificial sweetner, xylitol is not artificial and it tastes excellent, maybe even better than sugar. It has 10 calories per tsp which is only 5 less than sugar but it has health benefits. It is good for your teeth and it is supposed to get rid of bad bacteria in your stomach too.
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what xylitol is, where do you get it? I use the herb stevia as a sweetener, is is similar to that?
  • its time for change
    Options
    I've tried several types of stevia and I just can't get used to the taste. The xylitol is similar to stevia in that it is natural, but it tastes more like granulated sugar (except finer). You can buy xylitol in herb/health stores. Gum manufacturers are starting to put it in gum too. It is very good for your teeth. It helps prevent cavities by keeping the bad bacteria from sticking to your mouth, or something like that, lol. There are stores that sell it online as well. The maker of NOW sells it and if I buy it online I get twice as much for less than what I pay at the herb store. I pay $15 for one pound in the herb store. It's about $10 for 2.5 pounds at many online herb stores.
  • its time for change
    Options
    I am copying this from my bag of Xylitol

Ingredients: 100% granulated Xylitol

What is xylitol? Xylitol is the name for a naturally occuring sugar polyol commonly derived from corn stalks and birch tress. It is much like many other sugars, but with a significant difference- the molecule contains only 5 carbon atoms rather than the 6 of most other sugars. This molecular difference is the key to xylitol's beneficial qualities, both as a food ingredient and in both medical and dental applications.

A delicious low calorie sweetner: Xylitol has all the sweetness of table sugar, yet has 40% fewer calories and 0 grams of sugar. Xylitol is an ideal alternative sweetner in foods perpared for weight loss or for anyone concerned about the overuse of sugar in their diet.

Diabetic friendly: Xylitol is metablolized without insulin so it creates a significantly lower glycemic effect when eaten-a glycemic index of only 7. Good news for diabetics

Dental benfits: xylitol inhibits the ability of bacteria to adhere to tissues in the mouth and cannot be metabolized by bacteria, thus drastically slowing the process that creates harmful, enamel eating acids.

Usage: when cooking replace sugar with xylitol in equal measurements. Xylitol is heat-stable for cooking and baking. It also mixes and dissolves like common sugar.

Caution: Xylitol requires a brief period of tolerance adjustments. It is suggested that xylitol be used in gradually increasing portions over a period of three to six weeks before it is entirely substituted for common sugar. Xylitol will not cause breads and pastries to rise and is not a good choice for hard candies since it will not crystalize when heated. Not recommended for pets.

Xylitol is not recommended for sweetening juices and instant beverages that require a large amount of sweetner.

Okay, me speaking again. I have never actually seen the warning at the bottom of the bag until today. But, I believe that it says to increase levels gradually is because it cleans out your colon. The first few days that I used this, my bowels were more frequent, but I did not have diarrhea. I also think that I got rid of some parasties this way, but that is probably not anything that anyone wants to hear. :blushing:
  • alaskagal
    Options
    Thanks for all the useful information on Xylitol.

Looks like this may possibly be a better route to go than the artificial sweeteners we've been talking about on the other thread.

:flowerforyou:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great info! I'll have to check into that too! Maybe I can have my sweet after all :happy:
  • its time for change
    Options
    :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :drinker:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    OK what about an all natural sweetener? Stevia?
    dd