Exercise better before or after you eat???

Options
When I exercise at home doing my work-out dvds, I always do it before I eat. Same with when I go to the gym after work. Is it better to do it this way?? Thanks in advance!! :smile:

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I think its good to have at least something small right before you workout but you don't want to have a full meal. It really depends on the person, I can't work out efficiently unless I eat a little something, I may want to try it out and see what works best for you though... good luck! :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Thank you........I'll have to try maybe a granola bar or something small before hand.....it seems like I'm really hungry after I work out. Maybe that will help!
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I usually eat some almonds and almond milk before I eat because if I don't, then I start feeling sick half way through. It's depending on the person really
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating every 2-3 hours. For example before I went to the gym this morning I had an apple and a tablespoon of peanut butter. When I got back and I some whey protein and then a couple of egg whites and one egg omelet. I would not want a hard workout after eating.
  • LeeiaL
    LeeiaL Posts: 40
    Options
    When I exercise at home doing my work-out dvds, I always do it before I eat. Same with when I go to the gym after work. Is it better to do it this way?? Thanks in advance!! :smile:

Hi, Kammy...

It really depends on you and what you're doing. Is it strength training? If so, you definitely need to have a small meal (protein-carb combo) from 30-90 mins before working out.

If it's cardio, this is subjective. It depends on how you feel. For example, I can do cardio on empty without feeling sick OR having low energy. Someone else may not be able to. If you feel fine, you may be able to do your cardio session on an empty stomach which is OK.

BTW...you are supposed to be hungry afterwards.

I would like to add, that after your cardio session (of 20 minutes or longer), you should not eat for at least an hour afterwards and then eat a high carb/low protein meal. I know that seems like a long time but you will maximize your results this way.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person honestly. I used to try eating something small before strength training, and I ended up finding myself running to the bathroom/getting sick half way through my circuit. If I managed to make it through, I'd have the worst acid reflux-y pain for the better part of the morning.

After that, I gave up eating before working out, and the pain/sickness went away. I *do* try to eat afterwards because it helps your body recover, especially with cardio.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before Cardio, I do before Strength training. My trainer told me to always eat before a workout with her and if I do the eliptical on a true empty stomach (water only) that 20 minutes is like doing 40 minutes. I still do my 40-45 minutes though.
  • kammy92
    Options

Hi, Kammy...

It really depends on you and what you're doing. Is it strength training? If so, you definitely need to have a small meal (protein-carb combo) from 30-90 mins before working out.

If it's cardio, this is subjective. It depends on how you feel. For example, I can do cardio on empty without feeling sick OR having low energy. Someone else may not be able to. If you feel fine, you may be able to do your cardio session on an empty stomach which is OK.

I would like to add, that after your cardio session (of 20 minutes or longer), you should not eat for at least an hour afterwards and then eat a high carb/low protein meal. I know that seems like a long time but you will maximize your results this way.

Cardio..............it just seems like I'm REALLY hungry after I work out........just recently though.........
  • LeeiaL
    LeeiaL Posts: 40
    Options

Hi, Kammy...

Cardio..............it just seems like I'm REALLY hungry after I work out........just recently though.........

Ok, if you're doing a cardio session, you'll have to see by trial and error. First try it on empty. See how you feel. Like some people, you may feel just fine. If that's the case, you can do your cardio first thing in the A.M.

If you feel like crap during your workout OR if you run out of energy, you'll need to eat a small meal beforehand. You can try half a whole wheat bagel or english muffin with a bit of peanut butter or something like that. I would avoid OJ or similar drinks, b/c of the acid and sugar. Or, you could also try a protein shake and 1/2 of a banana. You'll need to wait at least 30 minutes to an hour to workout (you don't want to see your snack again!) when eating whole foods. Otherwise, your digestion will compete for blood flow to your muscles.

See how you feel on empty first. If you feel nauseous or run out of energy (called bonking), you'll have your answer.

There is no one way that works for everyone. You have to find out what works for YOU.

Being really hungry after working out is OK. If you must, eat a few nuts, drink some water but NO SUGAR for at least 45 mins to an hour.

Good Luck!
  • kammy92
    Options
    Thank you!:smile: