Calorie intake with Hypothyroidism

Options
Hi everyone. I just wanted to put this out there to maybe get a little feedback on this subject. I may sound stupid or like a noob but please bear with me. I've not watched my calorie intake very long.
I have been back on MFP for about 2 and a half weeks now and am currently set to 1200 cals working out 5 times a week for 30 minutes. The first week I lost about 4 pounds (which I'm quite sure was water weight). Last week I had no loss. I know it is too soon to really know what I should and should not be doing. BUT with that being said...I have hypothyroidism and had been reading a little bit about possibly 1200 cals being too low for me. I may be biting off more than I can chew too soon. But I want to make sure I am eating what I should be. Any input is greatly appreciated. (Also, I know I should get this info from the doc but I'm just curious as to what the opinion is of people who have been doing this for a while)

Replies

• gin_gin
    gin_gin Posts: 184
    Options
    I have the hypo too i was Hyper and they radiated my thyroid now Im hypo they can never
    seem to get it where it needs to be. I have fortunately not had any trouble losing

if you are set at 1200 cals and you are working out you need to eat back your exercise
    calories are you doing that? that could be the problem if you are not eating them back.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    yes,ask yourdoc. I have it too and had to adjust my meds. Once I did it was fine (or as fine as hypothyroidism can be)
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I haven't currently been eating back my exercise calories. I thought the less I take in the better. As far as my meds, last time I had it checked my levels were fine.
  • Southernb3lle
    Options
    yes,ask yourdoc. I have it too and had to adjust my meds. Once I did it was fine (or as fine as hypothyroidism can be)

How many cals are you taking in currently? Are you eating the exercise cals back?
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I do 2050 cals per day and don't (or try not to) eat back ex cals
  • Southernb3lle
    Options
    Bump...Some help please?
  • cherylbileau
    cherylbileau Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I am trying to actively loose weight (I too have hypothyroidism) I limit my calories to between 800 to under 1,000 a day. I also do not eat sugar, wheat, processed foods, soy, or products containing these things. I eat a Low Carb high fat diet (LCHF, Google it) and have had great success. The fat and protein in my diet keeps me full.

In addition to eating around 800 calories a day (which is safe BTW), I also make sure to drink 64 oz of water a day and I walk at a pace of 4mph on my treadmill 6 to 7 days a week for 80 minutes or 5 miles. I have lost 111 pounds and counting.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I have had an underactive thyroid for 10 years. I take my medication and get my levels tested twice a year. I eat right, exercise, and I was always thin but now I'm in the best shape of my life!
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    one thing with this condition we need to eat lower than other people
    the rest depends on your height and Cw and age
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    You should have your RMR medically measured. Simple & non-invasive.
    That way you can figure out a *reasonable* caloric deficit, based on YOUR individual number. Get your measured RMR, then go here:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

And of course read this MFP classic if you haven't already:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

There's a hypothyroid group here on MFP, why not join it?

The fact is, being hypo messes with your metabolism, and getting the exact med type & level correct can be exasperating. Finding out where your metabolism's ended up can be discouraging. That said, you CAN lose the weight without being uber-restrictive. And you can get your metabolism to a reasonable level again. You just have to do the pre-work and then pay attention as you go along.

Start with your real RMR, then slow, sensible, & steady. You can do this!
    :drinker:

P.S. I'm hypo too & have an open diary - feel free to add me!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    One thing my doctor told me is that my vitamin absorption may not be as good as someone who does not have a problem with their thyroid. I take a vitamin D supplement and try to eat at least a few brazil nuts a day (for selenium). I find I lose slower than the "norm" but am still losing using MFP calculations.
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. I am eating between 1400-1600 calories a day depending on my exercise. I aim for 5 days a week for an hour at a time and I have incorporated more protein into my diet. It seems to be working for me but my medicine is also adjusted properly. I would check with your doctor. My doctor told me to limit carbs and sugar and increase protein. HTH :)
  • jessrainsb
    jessrainsb Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the response, but please make sure you are eating enough. Good fats, veggies, fruits, and protein etc. Some on here are saying that we need to eat lower than most people do and not only is that not true but it's also dangerous. I have hashimotos thyroiditis. I eat between 1400-1700 calories and exercise maybe 3-4 times a week, slow and steady and I also do weight training. I've been losing about 1-2 lbs a week so far. Has it been a while since you got your levels checked?

Sometimes it can take a while to get the weight off. It may take some trial and error to see what works best for you. But starvation is never the answer. Good luck!
  • Stripeness
    Options
    Some on here are saying that we need to eat lower than most people do and not only is that not true but it's also dangerous.

No. Not definitively true. My RMR was measured to be 1100 cals - which is substantially lower than normal. Does that mean everyone with hypo or even my numbers is the same? NO. Some folks may be even lower. Others higher.

However, most hypo folks DO have a lower RMR than the average population - and even medicated to "feeling ok" levels, it behooves you to have it MEASURED.

Your caloric intake may be perfect for you yet oodles too low for someone else. And way the hell too high for others. YMMV, which is why it's so important to get your own individual info and not assume others are eating too little.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Where do you go to have your RMR and/or BMR measured? Is this something the Endocrinologist will do or schedule?
  • brenda5476
    brenda5476 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 9 months ago and am having difficulty adjusting my meds. I did a thing called Fat Flush which got me started on my way - 7 days diet, 1 day fast, and 3 days sequal. Dr. Oz suggested it to get your hormones in control.

I am doing Flat Belly Diet which is 4 - 400 cal meals per day. I am now down 7 lbs in 2 weeks which is such a success as I just went through menopause and have had health issues in the past 9 months.

You do need to increase you calories if you are working out every day, don't forget to take a rest day once in a while.

Good luck with this journey!!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's and take Synthroid. It took me a whole year to lose 20 lbs., but I gained like crazy before my diagnosis.

MFP has "Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism" group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is too low for anyone. Bump it to 1500, burn 300 a day and don't eat them back. That way you are eating 1500, but still technically at 1200.

Keep it low carb/high protein.
  • Stripeness
    Options
    Where do you go to have your RMR and/or BMR measured? Is this something the Endocrinologist will do or schedule?
    Your endo or GP can do it - small handheld device. Sometimes they have the nutrition folks do it - just depends on how your healthcare group slices things up.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Your endo or GP can do it - small handheld device. Sometimes they have the nutrition folks do it - just depends on how your healthcare group slices things up.

Your BMR is a very long and intricate test which has to be done at a hospital set up for it. I was there overnight. It was kind of like a sleep clinic. They waited for me to fall asleep, then woke me up and put me on the treadmill, repeat, they did other things and kept me attached to a bunch of machines.

The online calculators say my BMR is 1500-1800, My doctor ended up saying it was between 801 - 911.