Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I'm considering getting a heart rate monitor with a calorie counter as well. There's an overwhelming number of brands out there and when searching the one online shopping site I use, there's almost an equal number of people that love and hate the same ones. Was curious what brands/models people here at myfitnesspal use? I don't have a lot of weight to lose (10 lbs) but I want to be careful of my heart rate as well - so something that alarms me when I've reached or exceeded my max rate - and calculate my calories as accurately as possible.

Thanks for any input anyone can share.

Replies

• Barbidoll1175
    Options
    I've been using the Polar FT6 for a couple years and I have liked it a lot. However, it has started to wig out a little and I think the batteries are dying. I've been searching online to see what my next HRM monitor would be and I had decided on the Polar FT4. Then my friend mentioned to me about this new little gadget called the Fitbit. I've been reading up on it and it sounds very interesting, even thought it doesn't track heart rate, it's more just a calorie burn counter, which is all I really need anyway. My only concern is that it is not water/sweat proof. I teach Zumba classes and I sweat A LOT during class. This of course is the main time when I want to see how many calories I have burned. I read on another blog that she puts her Fitbit in a snack size plastic bag and then into her hip pouch when she runs to keep it from getting wet, but I'm just not sure how that will work to wear while teaching a class. If an HRM is what you are set on, Polar has always been a good, reliable brand.
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You get a more accurate calorie's burned with a heart rate monitor- I have the Polar FT4-absolutely LOVE IT!! Very easy to use, has what I need on it. Whichever brand you get- make sure it has a chest strap.