SHIRITAKI Noodles Please help

Options
PinkDog
PinkDog Posts: 68 Member
HI everyone,

I made these for the 1st time tonight. Stirfried them with peanut butter and sesame oil and veggies.

They were kind of gross....

Any tips on how to cook them better?

Thanks,

Pink

Replies

• DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    maybe try them in a soup? Put them in a broth with some strips of beef or pork and get kinda like Take-Out Wonton soup? with out the wontons
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    the hungry girl cookbook uses them and I think the suggest blanching the noodles quickly before putting them in a recipe.
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on the internet hope it works for you (I didnt make this myself its someone elses post) I'
    ve tried shirataki noodles and yam noodles which have similar ingredients, but zero calories (I know, I couldn't believe the label either--noodles without calories? Can it be?). To prepare them, I stir fried some carrots, celery, Japanese tofu, onion, garlic and a little teriyaki sauce to go with both types and both were pretty good. I made a whole meal equaling 136 calories and ended up full with leftovers
    Pam
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Try doing the exact same thing you'd do with spaghetti, or any other kind of pasta. I made them with diced tomatoes, garlic, spices, Parmesan cheese, and a touch of olive oil- they were good! Make sure you get a pot of water boiling good and then drop them in for about 3-5 minutes, *then* you can go ahead and mix them into whatever recipe you're making. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don't know how complete a meal you want, but I made this for dinner and it was FANTASTIC! I had the leftovers for lunch the next day! Enjoy!
    Chicken Cacciatore
    4 servings
    2- 8 ounces packages shirataki noodles
    2 tbsp butter (I used Brummel and Brown)
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 cup green pepper, sliced 1in strips
    1 cup onion, sliced 1in strips
    3/4-1lb chicken tenders, each cut into thirds
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    1 jar herb pasta sauce
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    Directions:
    Prepare noodles according to package directions. Cut into 3-inch lengths, set aside.
    Heat non-stick 12-in skillet with 2 in sides over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp each butter and oil. Add peppers and onions and cook until soft and onions are lightly browned.
    Add remaining butter and oil, increasing heat to high. Add chicken and cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms, cook 1-2 minutes. Pour in sauce, mix well.
    Reduce heat. Cover and simmer gently 5 minutes.
    Spray a nonstick pan with oil, add noodles and stir-fry 1 minute until hot and dry.
    Place noodles on 4 warm plates and portion chicken and sauce on top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.