My Story

Options
I have been larger most of my life. The other day I was talking about when I first started gaining extra weight. We traced it back to when my grandma died when I was 9 years old. I guess my way of dealing with the pain was to eat my feelings. I never got through it though! Years went by and I just excepted my figure... I figured my dad's side was on the large side; it's just genetics! Finally I went on to college. It was difficult to have so many friends that were thin. I would go out with them and no guy would give me any attention. Quickly I grew into depression and again... I turned to food. I would go into the doctor and get yelled at for how I looked. She never talked to me about what was going on. She also made me feel like I could never lose the weight either. At the end of this school year, I chaperoned a trip to Six Flags. The morning was fine; I went on a few rides. When we got to the new ride, I couldn't fit on it. I was so embarrassed. It was such a rough day! It was also around this time that I switched doctors. The slap in the face from Six Flags and my new doctor really made a difference for me. For the first time, she talked to me about my life history. She pointed out that food was my comfort. When I feel like no one is there for me, I turn to food. It was clear as day, but I needed someone to point that out! I cried when I left her office because it was the first time someone showed they cared about me. Since then, she has been so supportive of my weight loss. We talk about what workouts I'm doing and what I am eating. I only wish I could have had this kick in the pants earlier. I now know that I CAN do this. I may never have a super model body, but I can have a body that I'm happy with!