Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Confused on BMR and Weight Loss

Hello! I've not new to dieting, nor am I new to exercising, but I am back to making it a habit again and to be fit! I'm 5'0 and weigh in at 117.2lbs. Before I had my second baby I managed to get down to 109 doing a lot of cardio but I seem to be struggling more this time around. I've been trying to get into shape and get back down to at least 110 since August of 2011. So far I have lost 13lbs but I have been bouncing between 117 and 120 for the past few months and its really frustrating. I'm working out more regularly, usually 4-5 days a week between cardio and weights (mixed in with crossfit). I use a heart rate monitor and have tried eating my calories back and not eating them back. If I increase my calorie intake then I tend to not lose any weight or I'll gain weight. My BMR says I should be eating 1,183 calories a day..doesn't that seem low? myfitnesspal says 1200 no matter if my exercise days increase or decrease. I'm really confused as to why I keep going up and down with the same few lbs. I'm also increasing my water intake to see if that helps. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    What is your intake level now? If you truly are not experiencing any changes in your body or your weight for months, and you have a good log, you can probably consider that intake level to be what you need to maintain your current weight, and cut accordingly. You're not tall or heavy or male (but at least you're young and active!) so you won't be able to eat as much as others.

We all go up and down the same few lbs. at maintenance level, is what springs to mind.

If the exercise intensity, type or level is new, it takes me a while (can be months) for my body to adjust and go back to losing, though, so it could just be that you need to wait it out and be happy for now with the non-scale changes you might be noticing.

Good luck!
  • Ashly744
    Ashly744 Posts: 60 Member
    My intake level now is 1200, so I can't afford to cut anymore calories without damaging my metabolism. I always read not to drop below 1200. I've tried eating back my calories, and not eating them..but it seems that the weight is coming off very, very slowly.
    What is your intake level now? If you truly are not experiencing any changes in your body or your weight for months, and you have a good log, you can probably consider that intake level to be what you need to maintain your current weight, and cut accordingly. You're not tall or heavy or male (but at least you're young and active!) so you won't be able to eat as much as others.

We all go up and down the same few lbs. at maintenance level, is what springs to mind.

If the exercise intensity, type or level is new, it takes me a while (can be months) for my body to adjust and go back to losing, though, so it could just be that you need to wait it out and be happy for now with the non-scale changes you might be noticing.

Good luck!
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    How much weight do you have to lose?

Would you follow my guide?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/586298-if-you-are-scared-to-increase-calories
  • mluxo91
    mluxo91 Posts: 65 Member
    My BMR says I should be eating 1,183 calories a day..doesn't that seem low?

Hey girl!
    I'm new on mfp and to actually keeping track of fitness.. but from what I understand, your BMR is your basal metabolic rate - how many calories your body burns at rest, just to function. My BMR is around 1700 (according to mfp).. I think it's higher because I'm pretty active and because I have more lbs to lose. Those last couple lbs you want to lose may be difficult because your metabolism is slower now that you have less to lose..?

Hope this helps some!
  • mcarter99
    My intake level now is 1200, so I can't afford to cut anymore calories without damaging my metabolism. I always read not to drop below 1200. I've tried eating back my calories, and not eating them..but it seems that the weight is coming off very, very slowly.

Good luck!

I don't know your age but I guessed 28 and put your values in a BMR calculator and it said 1314, which is at least better than 1183.

You won't damage your metabolism eating below 1200. There really is no 'damage your metabolism' effect from dieting. You lose lean body mass along with fat which makes your BMR go down more but it's not really damage, it's just what happens when we get smaller. Do all you can to keep all the muscle you can, of course.

I don't really think it would take for you to go below 1200 unless you're very sedentary, which you're not, but I'm wondering if there's significant measurement error and you're taking in more than you think. In which case, cutting would help. Are you hungry at your current level? If so, maybe you do need to eat more. If not, maybe try a little less.

Mostly I think since you're small it's going to be tough to get a lot smaller. You might learn that your body is now great at this new weight and you look even better than before. Sometimes having more kids makes us more muscle-y. Who knows. But don't get too stuck on an old scale number if you're looking and feeling good.
  • Ashly744
    Chris, I'll have to check out your post in a bit. Thanks!
    How much weight do you have to lose?

Would you follow my guide?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/586298-if-you-are-scared-to-increase-calories
  • Ashly744
    The 1183 is what I got using fitnesspal's BMR. I have a sedentary job, and I try to move around as much as I can once I'm off work..so I think that's why its giving me such a low number.
    My BMR says I should be eating 1,183 calories a day..doesn't that seem low?

Hey girl!
    I'm new on mfp and to actually keeping track of fitness.. but from what I understand, your BMR is your basal metabolic rate - how many calories your body burns at rest, just to function. My BMR is around 1700 (according to mfp).. I think it's higher because I'm pretty active and because I have more lbs to lose. Those last couple lbs you want to lose may be difficult because your metabolism is slower now that you have less to lose..?

Hope this helps some!
  • Ashly744
    I think it gave me such a low number because I have a sedentary job. I try to move around as much as I can once I get home, and then I then I do my workouts at the gym. When I'm home on the weekend I do what I can to move around as well. I have kids so sitting isn't always an choice anyways lol. I did notice that my pants are getting looser even though the scale isn't moving that fast. I guess I'm just getting frustrated on why its moving so slow, and why I'm fighting with the same lbs. I don't want to drop below 1200 because I don't get full off of 1200 calories as it is, so I think if I go lower I'm going going to be starving. I am doing more strength training this time around but I'm not certain of how much muscle I might've built up yet, but I thought with more muscle, you burn more calories?

Good luck!

I don't know your age but I guessed 28 and put your values in a BMR calculator and it said 1314, which is at least better than 1183.

You won't damage your metabolism eating below 1200. There really is no 'damage your metabolism' effect from dieting. You lose lean body mass along with fat which makes your BMR go down more but it's not really damage, it's just what happens when we get smaller. Do all you can to keep all the muscle you can, of course.

I don't really think it would take for you to go below 1200 unless you're very sedentary, which you're not, but I'm wondering if there's significant measurement error and you're taking in more than you think. In which case, cutting would help. Are you hungry at your current level? If so, maybe you do need to eat more. If not, maybe try a little less.

Mostly I think since you're small it's going to be tough to get a lot smaller. You might learn that your body is now great at this new weight and you look even better than before. Sometimes having more kids makes us more muscle-y. Who knows. But don't get too stuck on an old scale number if you're looking and feeling good.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 994 Member
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 994 Member
    dont go lower.... Go Higher..
  • mcarter99
    I think it gave me such a low number because I have a sedentary job. I try to move around as much as I can once I get home, and then I then I do my workouts at the gym. When I'm home on the weekend I do what I can to move around as well. I have kids so sitting isn't always an choice anyways lol. I did notice that my pants are getting looser even though the scale isn't moving that fast. I guess I'm just getting frustrated on why its moving so slow, and why I'm fighting with the same lbs. I don't want to drop below 1200 because I don't get full off of 1200 calories as it is, so I think if I go lower I'm going going to be starving. I am doing more strength training this time around but I'm not certain of how much muscle I might've built up yet, but I thought with more muscle, you burn more calories?

With more muscle you do burn more calories but I don't think it's as much as people think. Here's one table that says 6 calories per pound.
    http://muscleevo.net/muscle-metabolism/

If you feel miserable at your current calorie level do raise it. If you think you're eating filling, nutritious foods already and you still feel deprived, eat more. Make sure you're not lacking protein or fat. Those can affect satiety a lot.
  • Ashly744
    Thanks. I'll take a look at the thread.
  • Ashly744
    Okay. Thanks. Maybe I'll give it another try. How much would you try raising it by? I remember when I used to eat 1300-1500 to maintain with eating my calories back and that seemed to work, but I would like to lose a few more lbs before I start maintaining my weight, and then I would like to focus on toning up.

With more muscle you do burn more calories but I don't think it's as much as people think. Here's one table that says 6 calories per pound.
    http://muscleevo.net/muscle-metabolism/

If you feel miserable at your current calorie level do raise it. If you think you're eating filling, nutritious foods already and you still feel deprived, eat more. Make sure you're not lacking protein or fat. Those can affect satiety a lot.
  • Ashly744
    I will also monitor my fat and and protein levels. I usually have a protein shake in the morning but we are currently all out and have to order more. I'm also thinking of reducing my carbs, which is a weakness of mine. But I'm more determined this time around. :)
  • mcarter99
    You're at 1200 now and you feel 1400ish with 'eating back' is maintenance? Maybe try 1400, not eating back (unless you're really hungry that day than eat half or more)?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Isn't BMR the number of calories you burn doing absolutely nothing? In other words, if you sat in a chair all day long and did absolutely nothing else, you'd theoretically be burning your BMR in calories. Therefore, you're eating far too few calories for your activity level. It makes me wonder if you're accurately counting all of your calories, or not getting enough protein/fat? Are you tracking your macros?
  • Ashly744
    That's what I used to do before I had my second child and it worked just fine then. This time is a bit different and I'm trying to find what works for my body this time around. I've been going off of what fitnesspal tells me and I was just curious if its accurate since I've been struggling with the same few lbs the past few months. I've been trying to see what works, and wanted advice of others. I was always told to eat back your exercise calories before and it worked just fine then. I don't gain weight when I do, but I have also been losing the weight very slowly. If it helps I usually burn anywhere from 200-400 calories when I workout.
    You're at 1200 now and you feel 1400ish with 'eating back' is maintenance? Maybe try 1400, not eating back (unless you're really hungry that day than eat half or more)?
  • Ashly744
    I track all my calories, and enter in whatever I eat. I think I'm counting them correctly. I also have a heart rate monitor so I know how many calories I burn with each workout. I was curious with the BMR because fitnesspal said 1183, and it says my calorie intake for the day is 1200. I was wondering if that seems accurate. :) I'm just trying to see what works for my body this time around. I'm going to start paying attention more to my fat and protein intake. I usually intake a lot of protein with shakes, but I ran out so I have to order more.