Protein?

Options
Hi all! are there any nutrition experts out there? I am doing quite well with sticking to my diet limits but usually go to 30 to 40 over with my protein allowance. Is this harmful at all? Thanks - Rick

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi all! are there any nutrition experts out there? I am doing quite well with sticking to my diet limits but usually go to 30 to 40 over with my protein allowance. Is this harmful at all? Thanks - Rick

No harm unless you have kidney issues. MFP sets protein low. You may be better off altering your ratios to 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. It will increase the odds of maintaining lean body mass.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Depends, but MFP's recommendation is usually absurdly low. If you do not have any pre-existing kidney issues, don't worry about it.
  • damienneadle
    Options
    Well that depends on your goals bro, but not really no, there have been links between high protein and bowel trouble but apart from that its cool! Im talking like really high though! What are your goals?
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Depends, but MFP's recommendation is usually absurdly low. If you do not have any pre-existing kidney issues, don't worry about it.

^^this
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

No harm unless you have kidney issues. MFP sets protein low. You may be better off altering your ratios to 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. It will increase the odds of maintaining lean body mass.

I was under the impression 40/40/20 was for building muscle, not simply maintaining it. If you are lifting heavy weights the protein is necessary to repair muscles but if you are not lifting then 40% protein is not necessary but certainly not harmful.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Agree with all this. Assuming organ health, you can eat more protein. My mix typically is 35% protein, 25% fat, 45% carbs. Next week my work out routine is going to start transiting from weight loss to muscle gain, base don the research I've done I will probably end up going to 40/30/40 (protein/fat/carbs) and increase calorie budget a bit as well.
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options

The short answer Rick is not if your kidney function is normal.

For normal kidney function (you'd need to ask your doc after they draw lab) - 1.0 grams per kilo (one kilo = 2.2 lbs) or approximately half your weight in lbs is what you should shoot for or approximately 15 percent of your calories. If you're pre-renal (injury) then 0.8 grams per kilo. If you're on dialysis, then 1.0 grams per kilo.

If you are active, it depends on the type of activity.

Cardio 1.2 - 1.6 grams per kilo
    Resistance training 1.4 - 1.8 grams per kilo...although many body builders take it up to 2.0 or higher (even though there isn't any proven benefit above 2.0) or put another way...approximately 30 percent of your calories.

To figure percent caloires

Fat 1 gram = 9 calories
    Carb 1 gram = 4 calories
    Protein 1 gram = 4 calories.

See SCAN for recommendations (Sports Cardiovascular Wellness and Nutrition) Web Site. It's an approved site by dieticians and sports enthusiasts. Let me know if you need more info.

Photo1.jpg

iphone100.jpg

8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    as per what everyone else has said

however you will know yourself if you have eaten too much protein, your sweat will give off a vinegar-y /ammonia smell. very temporary just lower the amount you take if that happens.

it happened to me, was not pleasant for people about lo!
  • Ricky1947
    Ricky1947 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you all for your help, I do a 30 minute brisk walk twice a day and spend about 30 minutes in the gym, so I should be OK with my protein. Thanks again - Rick
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I raised my protein goal on here to 1 grams/kg. Don't understand why it sets the goal so low.