Vitamin D Deficiency

Options
Hi all

I am 44 and from the UK.

I have been having a lot of trouble shifting any weight for well over a year. In fact it was getting higher but I have now been told I am severley Vitamin D deficient which apparently makes your metabolism slow way down meaning it is harder to lose weight.

I am about to start doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and wondered if anyone had managed to lose weight even with this deficiency?

My Husband has just booked us a trip to Spain in September and I want to try and lose as much as I can before then.

Allie
xxx

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I had a test and had an "insufficiency" of vitamin D, despite which I lost 4 stone. I am now taking a 4000 IU supplement and will re-test soon.

Food restriction is more important than exercise.
  • IllianaIman
    IllianaIman Posts: 131
    Options
    have u considered taking the suplement? my PCD prescibed me some and I take them regulary. have been helpful so far!

Good luck!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I;m curious as to how your vitamin D deficiency was diagnosed. There have been lots of studies on vitamin D and how it impacts health and they show incosnistent results. Most researchers now say that vitamin D deficiency is not very common; 15 minutes of sun daily without sunscreen will cause your body to produce as much D as you need.

I'm not saying it's not possible; just make sure you have an accurate diagnosis and no other medical conditions that would impact weight (thyroid, etc). Take care
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Self supplementing dosing ranges (safe ones) from 400-2000IU/day

If you are diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency by a physician, then you can go way over that limit with a prescription strength/long acting-once-weekly version (to play "catch-up") for usually around 8 weeks (you then get retested) and may get dropped down to supplemental doses if levels come back to baseline
  • alliekatz
    alliekatz Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi all

Thanks for your posts. I was diagnosed after a year of tests for al sorts of other diseases and conditions after I went to see my Doctor as I was severley fatigued and had muscle and bone pains. I have been teswsted for just about everything including Thyroid, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and HIV. Finally I got a blood test done that showed my Vitamin D level was 13 when it should have been over 30. I am taking 20,000iu of Vit D a day for 8 weeks then getting retested. It appears that I don't make Vitamin D from sunlight but I don't know exactly why yet. I do also have Ulcerative Colitis but have not had any flare ups for a number of years.

Hopefully by coming on here I will get the motivation and support to try and do everything I can to help myself.

Thanks again

Allie xxx
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    lol yeah i tested for a vitamin D deficienscy, scored so low they had to do the test 2xs, now im suposed to take at least 2000iu a day and go back in july to retest....Fun:smile:
  • angelakj23
    angelakj23 Posts: 51
    Options
    I agree that the doc should put you on a vit. D supplement, they should be the one to tell you how much to take. Be careful taking it on your own because an over abundance of vit. D can also cause muscle aches and pains. I had through the roof levels last year and the doc said it could be making me hurt worse.
  • alliekatz
    alliekatz Posts: 8
    Options
    I agree that the doc should put you on a vit. D supplement, they should be the one to tell you how much to take. Be careful taking it on your own because an over abundance of vit. D can also cause muscle aches and pains. I had through the roof levels last year and the doc said it could be making me hurt worse.

Thanks, it is a prescribed dosage I have been given but is still very high. 20,000 per day but I suppose it needs to be high to try and raise it back to where it should be.

Allie xxx