Running...is so much inconsistency normal?

Options
2»

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Rather than doing three days a week with two sometimes consecutively, I'm going to get myself to a strict schedule of Monday, Wednesday and Friday runs until I see more consistency with it all again. One I'm back to where I was, I'll add in another day.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I experienced the exact same thing. Was running about 3 miles at a pop...then struggled one day to get in 2. So I took a few days break from running. And bam...out came a 10 K run. My legs just felt so light so I just kept running!! I think maybe just giving the body a break may help? I don't know why this has happened, but wanted you to know you are not alone!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I experienced the exact same thing. Was running about 3 miles at a pop...then struggled one day to get in 2. So I took a few days break from running. And bam...out came a 10 K run. My legs just felt so light so I just kept running!! I think maybe just giving the body a break may help? I don't know why this has happened, but wanted you to know you are not alone!

Thanks! Great to see someone that's gone through exactly the same. I just miss those earlier days when I could do a 5k each time I went out, and it just worked. No aiming for more, just a nice 5k and a return home to relax. :flowerforyou:
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    as an aside... Running a 10k or 5k as an event run and comparing that to a run by yourself really isn't fair to that run you do alone. Jast having people running the same distance at the same time as you provides momentum and motivation that you'll never get running alone. Not to mention if that event has spectators. Point being....if you can manage a 10k event but not 2 miles alone, odds are it's psychological. Overcoming the negativity in ones head is a HUGE part of distance running. Anyone who has logged long mile runs and spent more than an hour or two running more than once a week can attest to this. Just keep moving those feet and before you know it you'll plant the seed in your head that you can and then you will.
  • AMANDALOU4546
    Options
    I definitaley think its in your head, happens to me often. Change your route, take a friend (itll challenge you), and break up what you do so the excitement doesnt wear off!!
  • terbee
    terbee Posts: 72
    Options
    If it is more of a mental block, try telling yourself what distance you plan to run when you walk out the door. If you do have to stop short, promise yourself that you'll get back out the door to "finish" the run that same day. For me, the hassle of getting another set of clothes sweaty and showering is enough of a mental push to get it done the first time.

Of course, stop if you are feeling pain, etc.