What do people think of those BMI/Fat % scales at the gyms

It's kind of silly that you stand on a scale and it claims to know your percentage of weight distribution. It doesn't even have you type in your measurements (we'd have better luck using a formula or even doing the calculations ourselves). It's very unscientific. My husband is a scientist and he says that it can't possibly do what it says it does, unless they are dunking me in a giant tub of water and measuring my volume. Funny how they put so much faith in it, at the gym. I just think we can't measure progress on a scale, not any scale, but instead by how we look and feel and what we can do with our muscles and energy. And it's always good to get feedback from the people around us (who have fitness knowledge) that know us well, see us daily and care about us. Maybe it's different for people that have a lot of weight to lose, but for people that are working on muscle, a scale doesn't work.

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    I own a body fat scale and Omron Handheld Body fat monitor and I trust both of them. I don't go to the gym. I have my own personal gym at home. I do know that some gyms uses the Omron Handheld Body Fat monitor to test people body fat percentage. A lot of people think that the dunk test or even Bod Pod are more accurate, when in fact the Omron Handheld Body Fat Monitor can give the same reading as either or be a couple of points off. I have read where people have gotten the dunk test done and the reading was either the same as their Omron Body Fat monitor reading or a point or two off. I had a buddy that recently had the dunk test and his results were a point away from his Omron Body Fat monitor results.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    I did the one in the gym earlier this year, it said my BF was 40% which I knew couldn't be. The trainer tried to sell me $1000 package and tell me how I'm at risk for all these health problems. But even she says it seemed high from looking at me. I told her it was that TOM, she says that can skew the results. Think she would have asked that before she put me on that fancy scale. Apparently it is very dependent on how hydrated your body is, which means its not very reliable at all. I took my measurements and followed the YMCA formula and I'm 27%, a big difference from the 40% the gym said.
  • AZackery
    I did the one in the gym earlier this year, it said my BF was 40% which I knew couldn't be. The trainer tried to sell me $1000 package and tell me how I'm at risk for all these health problems. But even she says it seemed high from looking at me. I told her it was that TOM, she says that can skew the results. Think she would have asked that before she put me on that fancy scale. Apparently it is very dependent on how hydrated your body is, which means its not very reliable at all. I took my measurements and followed the YMCA formula and I'm 27%, a big difference from the 40% the gym said.

What formula does the YMCA uses for body fat percentage? I know that online body fat calculators can have a person's body fat percentage lower than what it really is.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    I think they are useful for showing change over time and change relative to overall weight. My weight has hardly budged in the past few months, but my BF is steadily dropping. I believe the scale, since my legs are firming up fast as I maintain 100 miles or more on my bike on a weekly basis, plus 12 or more miles of running/week.

I've had 3 bodyfat scales and a handheld Omron meter in the past 10+ years. They all show roughly the same #, so I can't imagine that any one of them has been too far off.

BTW, to the OP...my baby sister is named Nissa. Not a name I see every day. :happy:
  • Oh, wow, that is cool that your sister is named Nissa. I also rarely meet people with that name. I lost a few pounds and have gained a lot of muscle and the scale claimed my fat % went up, even though my BMI went down. So, seems pretty wrong to me. I also don't need to lose weight, just working on fitness and dance training. Thanks everyone for the replies.
  • zoom2
    Are you of Scandinavian descent with that name? My siblings and I all have Scandinavian names...I'm Kirsten and my brother is Grant.

I wonder if your scale is simply off. We had a Weight Watchers brand scale that went wonky after only 3 months, so we took it back to Target (I read bad reviews after we bought it, so I hung onto the receipt in case it went nuts...and it did). Or maybe the batteries need replacing...?
  • I'm not Scandinavian. My mom found the name in a baby book and she just liked it. But, she also pronounced it Neesa. So, my name is spelled Nissa, but sounds like Neesa.:smile:

The scale was at the gym. Maybe I will ask them what they think about the numbers.
  • zoom2
    I'm not Scandinavian. My mom found the name in a baby book and she just liked it. But, she also pronounced it Neesa. So, my name is spelled Nissa, but sounds like Neesa.:smile:

My folks/sister have always pronounced it Nissa, shot i. My great grandmother was pronounced Keersten, but for some reason my folks wanted to "americanize" my name, so it's always been pronounced Kursten. In Scandinavia it's either Kjersten (j like y) or even Scheersten. I confuse people wherever I go!
  • It's been really nice to meet you and talk on here! :smile:
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    I dont really think they work. The scales say my body fat is something like 46% but the instructor put me as 27% when he took all my measurements!
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    The other, accurate option (other than water dunking) is to have a dexascan. From what I understand it is bascially a type of x-ray, commonly used for measuring bone density for older people with osteoperosis. You can also get them done now do find out your overall body composition. Not sure about the US, but here in Australia you can get them done for about $150. I'd love to do it but there's no places that do it where I live. HTH

ETA - this is an example fo the kind of report you get : http://www.measureup.com.au/media/docs/female.pdf
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    We were taught that bio-electric impedence BF measures (the scales with little metal plates for your bare feet) is the gold standard however, I believe this is simply for convenience being a fast and easy method for measuring an Average American's body composition (this is a huge problem).

Some of them simply rely on analog scales to measure BF and measures are greatly affected simply by what your inputs are - for instance, some models have you choose your activity as being an intense (practically marathon runner status) athlete with really high standards (600+min of INTENSE CARDIO - not weight lifting each week) or the alternative of being a typical sedentary American. Far from perfect...so I chose conservatively as being sedentary and was put at 15% BF back when I was at 180lbs (I'm 160-165 right now). This was a clinical scale being used

Using my personal scale (also bioelectric impedence), even at 160-165lbs, I am labeled at 17-18% BF. Do I really look the part?
    <---Profile pic is current

I'm willing to bet the "dunk tank" is the most accurate, but least convenient. Calipers grossly underestimate BF. Proportion measurements (ones involving the neck, shoulders, waist, hips) seem to be fairly accurate...my measure put me around 7-8%. I believe these are commonly used by the millitary and navy because BMI is a joke to measure big/tall yet muscular guys who commonly fall into the overweight and obese categories
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    When I had my BF% tested on one of those scales at the gym it came back 42% which I knew stright off was incorrect, caliper measurement came back at 24% and an online calculator that measures waist, neck, hips, wrist etc came back at 29%, which i feel is the most accurate.

As long as you keep using the same way to take your measurements then it will show you your progress, I'm sticking with the online calculator, as these measurements can be taken yourself and I can do this consistetly to check my progress. :)
  • Thanks everybody. I used the military measurement and that came back more accurate and consistent. It helps to hear other people's experiences with this.
  • AZackery
    Caliper testing can be wrong. I've seen a youtube video where a trainer tested a woman's body fat percentage with a caliper and came out with 14% and there's no way that woman's body fat percentage was 14%. The woman was bottom heavy. I would trust a body fat scale, before I trust a caliper, after all, a scale shows my scale weight and if a scale can come up with a total for my pounds of fat + pounds of lean body mass, why can't a body fat scale give me a correct body fat percentage? A body fat scale and Omron handheld body fat monitor sends a signal that travels through the fat and that's how they come up with a percentage number. Calipers don't do that. Calipers can't even be used on very obese people or even people that have a 30% plus body fat percentage.

I know my body fat percentage and my measurements and for fun, I have used online body fat calculators to see what results they would give me and they had me at 25% /27% and I know that's false. I'm bottom heavy and I'm far from the 20's%..
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Caliper testing can be wrong. I've seen a youtube video where a trainer tested a woman's body fat percentage with a caliper and came out with 14% and there's no way that woman's body fat percentage was 14%. The woman was bottom heavy. I would trust a body fat scale, before I trust a caliper, after all, a scale shows my scale weight and if a scale can come up with a total for my pounds of fat + pounds of lean body mass, why can't a body fat scale give me a correct body fat percentage? A body fat scale and Omron handheld body fat monitor sends a signal that travels through the fat and that's how they come up with a percentage number. Calipers don't do that. Calipers can't even be used on very obese people or even people that have a 30% plus body fat percentage.

I know my body fat percentage and my measurements and for fun, I have used online body fat calculators to see what results they would give me and they had me at 25% /27% and I know that's false. I'm bottom heavy and I'm far from the 20's%..

In the video, how many places did they check? My trainer does it at 8 points around the body and averages the result. However I still don'trust it!

BTW, when you say you know yours, how did you find out?
  • AZackery

In the video, how many places did they check? My trainer does it at 8 points around the body and averages the result. However I still don'trust it!

BTW, when you say you know yours, how did you find out?

I don't remember how many sites the trainer tested on the woman, but I know her body fat percentage wasn't 14%. I know my body fat percentage, because I use a body fat scale and my Omron Handheld body fat monitor.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    We were taught that bio-electric impedence BF measures (the scales with little metal plates for your bare feet) is the gold standard however, I believe this is simply for convenience being a fast and easy method for measuring an Average American's body composition (this is a huge problem).

Some of them simply rely on analog scales to measure BF and measures are greatly affected simply by what your inputs are - for instance, some models have you choose your activity as being an intense (practically marathon runner status) athlete with really high standards (600+min of INTENSE CARDIO - not weight lifting each week) or the alternative of being a typical sedentary American. Far from perfect...so I chose conservatively as being sedentary and was put at 15% BF back when I was at 180lbs (I'm 160-165 right now). This was a clinical scale being used

Using my personal scale (also bioelectric impedence), even at 160-165lbs, I am labeled at 17-18% BF. Do I really look the part?
    <---Profile pic is current

I'm willing to bet the "dunk tank" is the most accurate, but least convenient. Calipers grossly underestimate BF. Proportion measurements (ones involving the neck, shoulders, waist, hips) seem to be fairly accurate...my measure put me around 7-8%. I believe these are commonly used by the millitary and navy because BMI is a joke to measure big/tall yet muscular guys who commonly fall into the overweight and obese categories
    ]

My thoughts exactly. The way I think of it is high and low end of a scale. So for me if set to athletic Im getting around 11% while on average i get around 16% so I figure im somewhere in between there. I use this and just looking at myself to estimate how much weight I'd like to loose. With my goal being 5% body fat I have about 15 lb's to loose still.
  • The first time I tried the scale it was with a personal trainer, so he put in athletic. The next time it was just with a random person that worked at the desk and she put in standard. Does the body type they put in have a big influence on it? Then I'll try again with athletic.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    We were taught that bio-electric impedence BF measures (the scales with little metal plates for your bare feet) is the gold standard

Not even close.

BIA is the worst indicator of bodyfat %. BMI is a better predictor (and BMI sucks).

bia-spread-bodybuilders.png

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=218