confused please help!

Options
Okay so here are my stats,
5'6" 247 lbs 27 years old

I am in need of your help and expertise. I workout 3-5 times a week. I do cardio three times a week and strength training twice a week. Per my heart rate monitor I burn approx 500 calories at least every time I go to the gym. According to my goals of losing 2lbs a week mfp has me consuming around 1,800 calories a day. I eat as close to 6 meals a day as possible. Does this seem correct?

I'm sorry correction mfp has me eating 1340 in calories ****

Replies

• shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    sounds right to me, can you up your exercise? How about some zumba? Or swimming?
  • ElizabethJ17
    ElizabethJ17 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I do group classes also whenever I can. I am also training with the couch to 5k program. Should I be eating my exercise calories back? Thanks for any advice.
  • Silver180
    Silver180 Posts: 294
    Options
    "To lose 1 lb. of fat, you'll need to burn 3,500 calories more than the amount of calories you consume. A healthy weight-loss goal of losing 1 lb. a week means that you'll need to burn 500 calories more than you take in each day." So a 2lb a week weight loss goal would put you where MFP suggests.

Per your stats, your maintain calories/day is 2300. To lose 1lb/wk, cut 500 calories. 2lb/wk, cut 1000 calories a day.

If you eat 1800cal/day and burn 500cal/day via exercise, you are on track for your 2lb/wk. If you don't exercise, you need to cut 1000cal/day for 2lb/wk.

Good luck, I remember what 240 feels like. No way in hell I could only eat 1300cal a day, lol.
  • ElizabethJ17
    Options
    "To lose 1 lb. of fat, you'll need to burn 3,500 calories more than the amount of calories you consume. A healthy weight-loss goal of losing 1 lb. a week means that you'll need to burn 500 calories more than you take in each day." So a 2lb a week weight loss goal would put you where MFP suggests.

Per your stats, your maintain calories/day is 2300. To lose 1lb/wk, cut 500 calories. 2lb/wk, cut 1000 calories a day.

If you eat 1800cal/day and burn 500cal/day via exercise, you are on track for your 2lb/wk. If you don't exercise, you need to cut 1000cal/day for 2lb/wk.

Good luck, I remember what 240 feels like. No way in hell I could only eat 1300cal a day, lol.

Thanks for the clarification! I know right!?!?! 1,300 seems so low!
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Check out the Eat More to Weigh Less group. It's a great group. I agree that 1300 is low.
  • tzuris
    tzuris Posts: 30
    Options

I just switched from 1300 to closer to 1800 as well, and my SW was 240 - so if you need a buddy, lemme know!
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ How many calories are you consuming a day ? In order to lose 2 lbs a week ... you need to have a 1,000 extra calories a day left over ... including your exercise calories. Do you know your BMR and TDEE ?

3500 Calories burned = 1 pound lost .... a deficit of 500 x 7 days a week = 1 pound lost

When your first starting out you can take advantage of less calories and higher burn ... as you get closer to your goal, your body will require more calories and you will burn less doing the same exercises day after day.

It is imperative to change it up ... often ! Keep your body guessing what today will bring. There are literally hundreds of threads on this type of info ... do some research and find what works for you. Don't get lost in all the mumbo jumbo ... stick to the basics .... burn more than you consume.

Don't ever believe a calorie is just a calorie ... nutrition is the most important factor in your success ... clean eating is a must 90% of the time ... I'm not saying to never eat " treats " again ... just be willing to work those numbers and burn a little extra to indulge.

Best of luck !

:flowerforyou:
  • ElizabethJ17
    Options
    ~ How many calories are you consuming a day ? In order to lose 2 lbs a week ... you need to have a 1,000 extra calories a day left over ... including your exercise calories. Do you know your BMR and TDEE ?

3500 Calories burned = 1 pound lost .... a deficit of 500 x 7 days a week = 1 pound lost

When your first starting out you can take advantage of less calories and higher burn ... as you get closer to your goal, your body will require more calories and you will burn less doing the same exercises day after day.

It is imperative to change it up ... often ! Keep your body guessing what today will bring. There are literally hundreds of threads on this type of info ... do some research and find what works for you. Don't get lost in all the mumbo jumbo ... stick to the basics .... burn more than you consume.

Don't ever believe a calorie is just a calorie ... nutrition is the most important factor in your success ... clean eating is a must 90% of the time ... I'm not saying to never eat " treats " again ... just be willing to work those numbers and burn a little extra to indulge.

Best of luck !

My BMR is 1913. TDEE is 2965. I have been following Tosca Renos eat clean books for about a month now. I wasn't counting calories but thought I would give it a try and couldn't believe how small amount of calories I am supposed to be consuming.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    With a TDEE of 2965, 1300 calories is a 1665 deficit. That is huge. You could eat 1900 and still have a 1000 calorie deficit. You could also pick a number in the middle between the two.

If you're eating a deficit from your TDEE you wouldn't eat your exercise calories. I know this sounds really confusing, but once it clicks it's not that difficult.

Another option is to use your BMR as your calorie goal and then eat back your exercise calories.

Karen
  • OSC_ESD
    Options

Best of luck !

My BMR is 1913. TDEE is 2965. I have been following Tosca Renos eat clean books for about a month now. I wasn't counting calories but thought I would give it a try and couldn't believe how small amount of calories I am supposed to be consuming.

Have you been losing weight now ? If so, at what rate ? When did you start counting the calories ? Are you monitoring your macros ? Your diary is private or I would look at what your consuming to get a better idea of where you stand.

Do not starve yourself ... the most important part of the journey is to be happy and remain positive. There are a lot of us on here whom eat healthy and lose weight on a regular basis with a good basic starting point. You could safely eat between 1800 cal and 2000 cal and still lose ... at a slower rate. But, if you could manage a 1500 - 1600 cal day now is the time, the weight will come off much easier now then down the line. BUT, try not to lose more than 2 to 3 lbs a week and be certain your exercising each and every day with a GOOD amount of proteins daily !!! That is key !!!
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that it not only matters how many calories you are eating, but where those calories are coming from. You want to make sure you are not only staying fairly close to your calorie goal, but that you also do not go over in your carbs, fat, and protein goals. If you go over in any of the categories, it's best that it be protein as this helps build the muscle you tear down when exercising. Also, if you can build more muscle, you will burn more calories per day.
  • ElizabethJ17
    Options
    The most I think I have lost in one week is 3 but that is a rarity it is usually between 0-2 lbs. I just started counting calories as I was just doing the eat clean method before without watching calories. I will try to change my diary settings so you can take a look. I just changed the wording in there to better fit my small 6 meals however today I had already entered everything before doing that. No worries there is no way I could starve myself!
  • OSC_ESD
    Options
    The most I think I have lost in one week is 3 but that is a rarity it is usually between 0-2 lbs. I just started counting calories as I was just doing the eat clean method before without watching calories. I will try to change my diary settings so you can take a look. I just changed the wording in there to better fit my small 6 meals however today I had already entered everything before doing that. No worries there is no way I could starve myself!

~ I checked your diary for today ... up those calories ! Change your macros ... your protein is way too low !!! Implement more one ingredient foods, add more greens, nuts, seeds ... greek yogurt ... " fresh " fruit.

You have the right idea ... just not enough of it. There is only one day to look at, I would be curious to see your patterns. Losing 2 lbs a week is awesome ... nice steady pace.

Feel free to inbox me or add me if you want or need any suggestions. Your doing great .... keep up the good work !

:smile: