Any Joggers?

Options
Hey, I've been thinking adding jogging to my exercises, however I've never really jogged before. I plotted out a 2 mile course. Do you think this is a good start? To short? To long for a beginner?

How many miles do you run?

Replies

• dakota1978
    dakota1978 Posts: 11
    Options
    Personally I think it's too far for someone who hasn't really done it before. I decided to take it up because 1) I was bullied into entering a 5k race (ok ok free will was involved, but only a little bit ;o) ) and 2) I'm cheap and running is free.

I downloaded the NHS couch to 5k app, which paces beginners to busing up to that distance at a reasonable pace. The theory being (and I can't help but agree with) that beginners try to do too much too soon and therefore tend to throw in the towel.

First time I went out I had to run for 1 minute and walk for 2 minutes. This is repeated for a period of time (around 20 mins or so) and during that time my legs swag between being jelly like and feeling like they were filled with concrete, my lungs were ready to explode and I was wondering how the heck I was going to be able to perform self resuscitation.

When I got home after that first time, despite all if that I felt exhilarated. I'd completed the first go no matter what and that's the hardest part, right?

Only 3 weeks have past and although I'm not quite at 5k, I'm near as dammit, I'm not concerned about self resuscitation and I'm feeling very positive about this run in 10 days time.

So, my advice is, if you can, download the app (or similar if you're not in the UK), slow and steady training and it eventually becomes enjoyable.
  • classic_1
    classic_1 Posts: 147
    Options
    Ok cool, I'll look into that...i don't plan on starting until Monday. I'm excited to start this new venture. I went thru a round of P90X and now I can finish all the cardio's pretty good now so, I wanted to add a lil more challenge and cardio to my workouts. Thanks for the tips.
  • swweis
    swweis Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K, Week 2, Day 2 and counting. I have never been a jogger or runner, but always wanted to be. C25K helps by giving me the how-to, how long and when to do what.
  • classic_1
    Options
    what's C25K?
  • RaluKitty
    RaluKitty Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    C25K - Couch to 5K program - you just need to bing it. I agree, I had success with it twice (once 2 yrs ago, I restarted this April). Both times a got to running a full 5k (slowly but running the whole thing) in about 7-9 weeks. This time around I trained 3 times/week consistently and I finished a 5k race in under 35 min with just 9 weeks of training. I'm not athletic, but running kinda fits with me.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm also currently on the couch to 10k (I used to run in the past but haven't been in about 8 months). I wanted something that would guide me this time, as I tend to go all out and push myself too hard, then give up because i'm burnt out. The program really does ease you into running, and i'm enjoying it.
  • classic_1
    Options
    I just downloaded the app. Thanks...this should help a lot. :)