imitation pasterurized process cheese food?!

Options
Hi everyone! So I was grocery shopping the other day, and I grabbed a bag of cheese...the kind of are individually wrapped per slice. I got it because this one is low in calories, but it didn't say anything about "low fat" or "reduced fat" or "2% milk" on the package. When I got home, I was entering the nutritional information since the brand "Sandwich-Mate" didn't show up. Then I realized the thing I bought is an "imitation pasterurized process cheese food"..."swiss flavor".

Umm, is it fake cheese? Do you guys know if that's good for you or not?

Here is the list of ingredients: water, interesterified soybean oil, food starch-modified, whey, gelatin, sodium citrate, calcium phosphate salt, sodium phosphate, artificial and natural flavors, lactic acid, sorbic acid (preservative), xanthan gum, locust bean gum, guar gum, artificial color. contains:milk.

This sounds very processed, and I'm trying to cut down on processed food.

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is very processed. I don't see anything concerning calcium, or anything............

Then all of the chemicals ending in -ate, *** acid, gelatin, modified food starch.............
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    when the ingredients list for cheese put's milk at the bottom, that's probably a bad sign!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    MFP is great for making you realize these things!
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Here is a website about interesterified oils, the second ingredient in your "cheese". It sounds like a type of hydrogenation.

http://www.ific.org/publications/qa/interestrafatsqa.cfm

P.S. Manufactures can be sneaky b@stards.
  • LeeiaL
    LeeiaL Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi everyone! So I was grocery shopping the other day, and I grabbed a bag of cheese...the kind of are individually wrapped per slice. I got it because this one is low in calories, but it didn't say anything about "low fat" or "reduced fat" or "2% milk" on the package. When I got home, I was entering the nutritional information since the brand "Sandwich-Mate" didn't show up. Then I realized the thing I bought is an "imitation pasterurized process cheese food"..."swiss flavor".

Umm, is it fake cheese? Do you guys know if that's good for you or not?

Here is the list of ingredients: water, interesterified soybean oil, food starch-modified, whey, gelatin, sodium citrate, calcium phosphate salt, sodium phosphate, artificial and natural flavors, lactic acid, sorbic acid (preservative), xanthan gum, locust bean gum, guar gum, artificial color. contains:milk.

This sounds very processed, and I'm trying to cut down on processed food.

It's fake, it's the devil's food. Not fit for human consumption (especially humans trying to eat right). You should get rid of it.