I quit smoking Monday...

Options

Replies

• couldbeme
    couldbeme Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    well done , i stopped 1 year and 6 months ago , it is tough at first , the craving does go away after a few seconds , deep breaths , drink of water may help ,try to do stuff at the time u wanted a cig takes ur mind off it after meals was he worse time for me , and cramming them in at work on my breaks , i did put weight on also , and i had foot surgery in jan this year also so im on the road to shifting the weight now x
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB!!!! I love that you put you did quit and not i am trying to quit..

^ I second this. When I quit, it helped that I called myself a non-smoker. Non-smokers don't smoke, so it was not an option.

When I quit, I started running, because running and smoking do not go together. At all. Three and a half years later, I am still running and not smoking.

Congratulations to you. I am certain that quitting is #1 of all the choices I have made to better my health. Cheers to a longer, healthier life!!
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: Still quit, and I have a shiny new car (with carpayment) for motivation to stay quit. It's my dream car by the way, and the payment is about the same a month as I was spending on dog rockets. THAT is motivation to me, I am a numbers person, it's actually the numbers that are keeping me sane. I think about smoking and the $hundreds of dollars I am spending and then I think about the fun shiny things, like cars, I can have instead :smile:
  • pinkym06
    pinkym06 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi,

Hey it's really great knowing that you quit smoking even I quit smoking 4months ago.
    I was a smoker for almost 3 years & consulted my doctor and he recommended me to use Nicorette Gum and Nicorette's 12 Week Nicotine Replacement Therapy... it so happened that today I am smoke free....
    And nowadays I pass my time through engaging myself in my hobbies like I like to write poems and blogs I do that and also I love cooking and so I put my more time on that...So indulge yourself with any activity that you love to do the most....
    Also I would like to share the link of Nicorette who helped me and my Life to get better,https://www.nicorette.in/

Thanks & Regards
    Pinky
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: Still quit, and I have a shiny new car (with carpayment) for motivation to stay quit. It's my dream car by the way, and the payment is about the same a month as I was spending on dog rockets. THAT is motivation to me, I am a numbers person, it's actually the numbers that are keeping me sane. I think about smoking and the $hundreds of dollars I am spending and then I think about the fun shiny things, like cars, I can have instead :smile:

I did the SAME thing! The car is a smoke free zone and everyone knows smoking is not allowed in it :) Going on 5 years myself, you can do it!
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I chewed copious amounts of gum :)
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

It's so tough! In a week, it'll be 2 years for me.

The best advice I can give you is to make sure you're busy doing something every spare minute of your day. Bake, read, crochet, knit, get into scrapbooking, go running, go to the gym.....ANYTHING to keep your hands busy and your mind off what you think you're missing.

You can do it! :happy:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Smoking is the single worse thing you can do to ruin your health as you are aware.
    And it'll be the hardest addiction to break, so be ready for some painful days and nights.
    I am not trying to create drama, but use vacation time of you have it, stay home and address this like one would any addiction.
    Detox yourself that first week of "cold turkey" at home and punch through the pain.
    And here's the miserable part.
    Your hunger will BURN for a month after that first week. Just BURN!

Good luck to you, and I wish I had some little thing to say that would be the key to making this easy.
    There is NOTHING.
    Gird yourself for a tough fight, and no matter what, stay motivated and just KEEP PUNCHING!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I walked. Every break at work that I used to smoke, I now walk. When I'm at home, instead of spending hours on the computer, I walk, work out, spend time with my husband. All of these have replaced the cigarette need. I've been quite since last March and I've never felt better!
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I quit in 2005 - and I would whine, snivel and ***** to who ever would listen. I am a huge fan of throwing on an iPod and dancing until it passes... even in public - but that's just me! Seriously tho - distraction, check a phone app, come on MFP and creep profiles, Pace, Clean, Pee, Twiddle your Thumbs, DRINK WATER - DO ANYTHING other than smoke! You have made great progress... and remember, it only takes ONE to start up again, and do you REALLY want to repeat the last 4 days? NO YOU DON'T - So, when a craving comes along, and all you hear in your head is: "I want a smoke, I want a smoke, I want a smoke" ..... Repeat after me: "Tough *kitten* - I DON'T SMOKE!!!!"

And make a progress chart - visuals help!

Oh. And Congratulations - You've SOoOOoooOooo Got this!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations and I sincerely hope that you are successful! Congrats to all of you reformed smokers as well. :drinker:

I quit in January of this year, and did very good for 4 months until a stressful situation got to me, and I've been on and off ever since. I haven't advertised it to anyone, though I did recently admit to my better half that I had been smoking. Know what? He knew! But he was kind enough to not chastise me for it.

That said, I know he doesn't like it and I don't want to be a smoker...at least a big part of me doesn't. However, the addiction side of me does. For me, it's a matter of willpower, willpower that seems to have an expiration date. I've tried everything - but in the end, it's a break in willpower that always ends up being my downfall.
  • frycase
    frycase Posts: 43
    Options
    I quit smoking almost a year ago, and everytime I got hit with a hard craving, I'd just tell myself that if I gave into it, then all the pain I'd gone through up to that point would be for nothing, and that a few years down the road I'd just have to go through it again. I did snack quite a bit immediately after quitting, but if you keep healthy stuff around (veggies, fruits, etc.) even that won't be a big deal. Other than that, yep, just keep yourself distracted. I always thought it would be stress that would cause the worst cravings, but it turned out to be boredom. Whoever said "paint your nails" is a genius, I wish I'd thought of that...
  • frycase
    frycase Posts: 43
    Options
    I've tried everything - but in the end, it's a break in willpower that always ends up being my downfall.

Out of curiosity, have you tried reading the book "Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking"? It's kind of dated, but this is what I used to quit. It's kind of poorly titled, because quitting still wasn't easy, but it sure as hell was easier, and it really got me through the tough moments. You should check it out, I bet you could find it on Amazon.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I chewed gum, played with a drumstick or pencil, tapped my fingers, etc..
    You will find out what all the non-smokers have been doing all these years (like working instead of sneaking out for another smoke break) so you want to do something that will distract you, feed the fidgets that will invariably come, and not involve eating anything or becoming another habit that will keep you from doing what it is you are supposed to be doing.

There, I said it. Smokers often smoke to avoid working. I know I did.
  • Mamao7
    Mamao7 Posts: 79
    Options
    Congrats and best wishes.. its will get easier.. when I quit 12 years ago it was the best decision.. eating to fill that gap is a bad habit i fought with, You hands need to find a new habit.. keep your hands busy and it will be ok.. It does get easier. :)
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I quit last friday (the 29th). So far, so good. I am using the lozenges which have really helped in keeping my attitude upbeat. I have also been working out more this week as a way to fill the time. I get a craving and I pop in a lozenge and do some planking. My urge to smoke has gone down but the cravings do hit hard at times.
  • huntclan
    huntclan Posts: 26
    Options
    Glad to hear you quit:-) I am on my 3rd year being smoke-free. My wife still smokes and until recently it didn't bother me. Now the smell of smoke bothers the hell out of me.

What to do with your time? Good question. Think about how cigarettes are not dictating how you live your life. Think about how bad you feel for those out there struggling with smoking. Try and remember how you feel when your done exercising and are out of breath... Notice how good it feels having clear air in your lungs.

People all over the place want you to succeed, but life has other plans. Life challenges your resolve to quit, but sooner or later it will support your efforts. It took a long time for the cravings to stop. It took a long time for cigarettes to smell nasty. I wish i could tell you a trick to fill the void that smoking leaves, but I know of none. Just realize that you're in it for the long-haul and face the tough times head-on. You keep smacking heads with the cravings and they will eventually subside.

Okay, I'm done bliovating. I wish you well...
  • tipadoo
    tipadoo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm a 30 year smoker - it has been 8 months since I quit (I used champix) and I'm using the electric cigarette to stay off! Everytime I get the urge I just take a puff off the e-cig. it was worked for me! I went for a walk at break time downtown today and all I could smell was cigarettes outside and I kinda wanted one, until I say this lady sitting on a bench coughing her head off with a cigarette in her hand!! That was enough to cure that craving!
  • WEB3
    WEB3 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I did crosswords. I could focus on that when I had a craving, really helped!

Congrats!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I've tried everything - but in the end, it's a break in willpower that always ends up being my downfall.

Out of curiosity, have you tried reading the book "Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking"? It's kind of dated, but this is what I used to quit. It's kind of poorly titled, because quitting still wasn't easy, but it sure as hell was easier, and it really got me through the tough moments. You should check it out, I bet you could find it on Amazon.

I second this...this book, and a website quitnet.com were what I used to quit smoking 32 months ago. I had been a heavy smoker (2 packs a day) for 50 years and quit cold turkey. Much like I do with MFP now, then I virtually lived on quitnet...reading all the success stories, get encouragement from others, etc.

Quitting smoking was the BEST thing I ever did for myself...and it will be for you too! I only wish I had done it when I was much younger, but better late than never. Congratulations on your success so far, and on the new car...keep it up and any more wonderful things are in your future!