Sugar vs Sugar

Options
Ok, this might be the dumbest question on earth. and its about Sugar. Is naturally occurring sugar the same as processed, and if not, do I have to worry about eating more than my diary says I should?
I eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies, and find myself going over my sugar every day, even when I'm 200-300 calorie deficit for the day. I do eat the occasional Luna bar, which adds Sugar, but I really try to stay away from most things with processed sugar.
I'm really trying to stay true to what I'm doing here. No cheat days, no days off from exercise. I do however want my Skinny Cow Ice Cream sometimes!

Replies

• gmarriottfccla
    Options
    bump!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It's as simple as this: Sugar is sugar. The question is does it matter? Why measure sugar. Just measure overall carbs and hit you targets for carbs, fat and protein. But the source of the sugar does not matter for weight loss. For heath, possibly but not for weight loss.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    This is oneof these topics where some people will say sugar is sugar reardless whether it's processed or from fruit. Others will say only worry about added sugar. So it's not a dumb question, just one that no one will agree on an answer to.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    far as your body is concerned, sugar is sugar. grape sugar = snickers sugar. now, there may be more healthful things in a grape than a snickers. but where the actual sugar is concerned, it's the same.

and, unless you have a medical condition that restricts your sugar intake, I wouldn't even bother tracking it. I don't track sugar or sodium. neither really matter. so long as you are keeping to your calorie goals, both of those will be just fine.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    your body doesnt know the difference. sugar is sugar is sugar, and it sucks! i've gotten to think of fruit like candy. if your sweet tooth kicks in, reach for some of that nature's candy. i like to think in my head its a step up from that processed white sugar they put in EVERY PACKAGED FOOD ITEM nowadays
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    I keep my sugars as low as possible, I do not eat fruit at all to avoid extra sugar, nor do I eat anything with added sugar. The most sugar I will consume at a meal is 5 grams, which comes from vegetables like beets, tomatos, or other foods that naturally contain small amounts of sugar. I don't drink milk because of the sugar, and I eat yogurt that is made with artificial sweetners. A little extreme, I admit it, but it works for me! :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    to me, sugar is evil.

depends on your experiences though.
  • denisebme
    denisebme Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wow, great responses. There is no medical reason at all for me to track sugar, MFP just does it so helpfully for me :o) It makes sense that any sugar no matter the source, or whether it is processed or not, is the same. I have no plans to give up eating the amount of fruit I eat, I'm actually amazed since starting MFP how good it all tastes!