cold water vs. room temp water

Options
Is it true that drinking cold water is actually better for you than drinking room temp water because it makes your metabolism work harder?

Replies

• Jessastar
    Jessastar Posts: 234
    Options
    Well it depends.

If water is cold it needs to be raised to body temperature before it is used. This can burn more calories while your body heats up. But if it is hot outside and you are outdoors then you do not want your body to jump in to heat up mode.

Water that is closer to body temperature can be used by your body much quicker. This is vital if you have been exerting yourself and need hydrated or it if is hot out and you need to replace liquids for that reason too.

I don't personally care, I can only drink ice cold water. Room temperature doesn't do so well for me. :P
  • Happy_Healthy_Babe
    Options
    Your body has to work harder to warm up the water, body working harder = burn more calories...or so I have read.

I hate cold water I'd much rather room temp :-) as long as your are drinking water and non sugar filled drinks your weight loss should continue.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I drink my water room temp. I have sensitive teeth so can't do cold water.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories that it takes to warm up the water is not really that significant.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    You will burn about eight calories heating up a glass of cold water.

Just drink whichever temperature you prefer.
  • halliedoll
    halliedoll Posts: 171
    Options
    thanks guys!
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    It doesn't boost metabolism. Raising your body temperature however does - done by avoiding fluoride and getting adequate iodine. You'd be surprised that most adults' temperatures are below 98 degrees farenheit...even lower with more age.