Being asked for advice

Options
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but since it does feel like a bit of a success, I feel it's appropriate to discuss here.

Over the past few weeks, people have been coming up to me and asking for advice on how to get started and what they could do to help them get in to shape. A little back story, I started losing weight back in August and I weighted as high as 253 and about 2 weeks ago I just hit the 50 pound mark and now weight 203. So I've been a bit successful at losing the weight and keeping it off. I'm finally starting to feel that I've reached a successful point in my efforts. People have noticed everything that I've been doing and how my appearance has changed.

I now know that hard work and commitment to getting in better shape has become noticeable because they stopped just saying that I've lost weight, but are now asking for help on how to get started, how to stay motivated and asking for my advice on different things.

This is my new success, my new victory. It's awesome to feel that people see how I am now, are able to see not just my change, but my new desire in life. I never thought in my life that people would come up to me and ask me what exercises would be good to get started for someone who doesn't work out? what diets they should follow? are these supplements worth taking? what do you think of my foods that i've been eating?

Honestly, I enjoy the faith they have in asking me these questions. Yet, I hardly know any answers to the questions they have, but I still try to give the advice that I've learned from my personal experience and also tell them the same thing that I've learned, "there is no miracle diet, drug or workout that is going to get you a 6 pack. Only dedication and hardwork. If you want to transform,do so like a transformer, one step at a time." (learned that from nerd fitness).

So this was a long little post about what I feel is my bit of success.

Replies

• pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Edit
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    edit? edit....what?
  • purebliss24
    Options
    thanks for sharing. that is a success! it must make you feel great! congrats
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    Thanks....it's not the same type of success that most may discuss, but it makes me feel a lot better about everything. It's a non scale success story.
  • breakthecycle
    breakthecycle Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think that is a wonderful success!!! The best thing any of us can do is pay it forward!! GREAT JOB!!!!!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    pretty awesome. congratulations... I too get a kick out of it when people ask me how I've done it. i love whipping out my phone and showing them the app. things seem good don't they?
  • Stardiva37
    Stardiva37 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    that way great..wtg
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Good job! Congratulations :smile:
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    50 lbs is a lot of weight to lose. Good job!!!! You should feel pretty damm good about your success :drinker:
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    This app and forum has been a plethora of information and assistance. I have tried to get as many people as possible to start using it and really utilize the forums and relationships that can be formed.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Yes it's very flattering - good work :). I've had women in my office come up and ask what I'm doing. Feels great :)
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    i do feel pretty darn good. i just saw a comparison of my back to what it was a couple weeks ago and seeing the change is awesome. I can't wait to see how far I can go with this.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You can go as far as you want to and is healthy. Good luck!
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    Now that I have moved past the superficial goals, I really feel like there isn't a point where I'll feel like I'm done. thanks for luck.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Whenever you have something that others value, they will seek to learn from you. It is always interesting when others criticize you for eating healthy... but when they see how it changes your life, suddenly change around and start seeking what you know. Great story.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    edit? edit....what?

I believe that means that MFP edited his reply ...

Anyway, what a fantastic story and an amazing NSV. Keep it up and keep inspiring!
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    Whenever you have something that others value, they will seek to learn from you. It is always interesting when others criticize you for eating healthy... but when they see how it changes your life, suddenly change around and start seeking what you know. Great story.

That's so true. makes me think of a quote

"First they ignore you, then they mock you, then they fight you, then you win." M. Gandhi.

But more like first they support, then they get mock, then they get annoyed and then they join! kukukuku. thanks for bringing that thought to mind.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!