The Movers & Shakers - Week 5

Options
Happy Monday! Welcome to week 5!

How did everyone do with the challenge last week? I did not do so well :ohwell: I chose to do planks and only ended up doing them 3 times :( So, not very happy with myself. But, new week, new challenge - so hopefully this week will be better!

I had quite a weekend. I went to PEI on Friday and was suppossed to stay until last night, but I ended up coming home Saturday night so that I could be home before hurricane Bill passed through. So, yesterday I just ended up enjoying the wind & the rain.

This week is a food challenge. Does anyone have any ideas for it?

Have a great day!

Replies

• hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    :flowerforyou: yikes i havent checked in for quite some time but id like to get back on track if thats ok? :bigsmile:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I didn't do so great last week either. I choose clap push ups, which were way harder than I thought but a great challenge. However, we went away this weekend to a bean festival in Zurich Ontario and so really I only did it 3 days too. However, I do think I will try and stick with them. I am stubborn and I want to do 1 on my toes!

As for this week, what about everyone has to find and try making 1 new healthy recipe and post the recipe and their review of it?
  • WINEYINVA
    WINEYINVA Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I didnot do so well either, only 1 day last week of swimming laps. It was a tough challenge. I do like the new healthy recipe idea with the posting. I am always looking for new ideas for dinner especially but breakfast foods are good too.
    Heres to a great new week:drinker:
  • sjmay
    sjmay Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I think the recipe idea is wonderful! :bigsmile: So....

WEEK 5 CHALLENGE: Find and try a new healthy recipe. Post the recipe in this thread, along with your review of it. (If you can also include the nutritional facts that would be greatly appreciated)

Good Luck Everyone!:drinker:
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    That sounds good to me as well. I can not wait to see what everyone finds.
    Have a great week everyone. :bigsmile:
  • crystalscott0906
    Options
    the challenge sounds great to me too...i am definately up for new yummy food :) i am sooooooo ready to get back on track...i go to the dr for my vertigo or whatever it is tomorrow so hopefully they can tell me what is going on and what to do to help it so i can get back into the gym... i think i am gonna go for a long walk tonight with the doggies...they would definately be happy with me getting back on track with that!
  • crystalscott0906
    Options
    the challenge sounds great to me too...i am definately up for new yummy food :) i am sooooooo ready to get back on track...i go to the dr for my vertigo or whatever it is tomorrow so hopefully they can tell me what is going on and what to do to help it so i can get back into the gym... i think i am gonna go for a long walk tonight with the doggies...they would definately be happy with me getting back on track with that!
  • crystalscott0906
    Options
  • Iffer75
    Options

Have fun tonite walking the puppies. :bigsmile:
  • soupandsandwich
    soupandsandwich Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I got all 5 days done, if I can count today. Since I don't usually check this until Monday evening, my week doesn't really start till Tuesday, for the challenges.
    And I still hate the plank.

I'm off to search for a new recipe. I seldom use recipes -- just throw things together. But I'll try and find something good and simple -- not a lot of ingredients, for the culinary challenged, such as myself.
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    soooooo i made up a recipe tonight and it was delicious!!! bad thing is it wasnt healthy :laugh: :laugh: so all i could have was a bite and ate my normal meal....i'm going to try it with chicken breast instead of pork and then i'll tell u how it came out but anyway here it is.....i decided well sugar and fruit are delicious with pork....and a crispy crust is always good too.....sooooooooooo i took an egg stirred it just enough to break the yolk ......sprinkled some salt on the pork chops then swished them around in the egg.......heres the odd part.....sooooo i took a bag of raisin spice oatmeal (instant quaker) and i coated the pork chops in it.....put a tablespoon of Olive oil in the pan so that they would crisp decent..... omggggg they were goooooooooooooooooooooood.......just dont burn the raisins if u make anything like this.....u want it to be a golden brown and not too dark because it does have sugar in the oatmeal mix and well burned sugar is not yummy
  • Iffer75
    Options
    soooooo i made up a recipe tonight and it was delicious!!! bad thing is it wasnt healthy :laugh: :laugh: so all i could have was a bite and ate my normal meal....i'm going to try it with chicken breast instead of pork and then i'll tell u how it came out but anyway here it is.....i decided well sugar and fruit are delicious with pork....and a crispy crust is always good too.....sooooooooooo i took an egg stirred it just enough to break the yolk ......sprinkled some salt on the pork chops then swished them around in the egg.......heres the odd part.....sooooo i took a bag of raisin spice oatmeal (instant quaker) and i coated the pork chops in it.....put a tablespoon of Olive oil in the pan so that they would crisp decent..... omggggg they were goooooooooooooooooooooood.......just dont burn the raisins if u make anything like this.....u want it to be a golden brown and not too dark because it does have sugar in the oatmeal mix and well burned sugar is not yummy

Sounds interesting. What did you have for a side with it? :bigsmile:
  • hasiangirl
    Options

i had green beans brocolli and asparagus
  • soupandsandwich
    soupandsandwich Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    eat better america
    Pork Chops and Apples (Cooking for 2)
    Recipe Tip
    Pile on the Pork
    Pork loin is a lean protein choice. Protein supplies amino acids that give structure to the body in skin, cell membranes and muscles.
    38 ratings : 20 reviews
    Pork Chops and Apples (Cooking for 2)
    Lean chops and apples baked in one dish to serve two. All you need is a mixed green salad. From eatbetteramerica.
    Prep Time:20 min
    Start to Finish:1 hr 5 min
    makes:2 servings

1 medium unpeeled cooking apple, sliced
    2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 pork rib chops, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick (about 1/4 lb each)
    1. Heat oven to 350°F. Place apples in ungreased 1 1/2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
    2. Remove fat from pork. Spray 8- or 10-inch skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes. Cook pork in hot skillet about 5 minutes, turning once, until light brown. Place pork in single layer on apples.
    3. Cover; bake about 45 minutes or until pork is no longer pink in center and apples are tender.

Nutritional Information
    1 Serving: Calories 200 (Calories from Fat 50); Total Fat 5g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 30mg; Total Carbohydrate 23g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 20g); Protein 15g % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 2%; Iron 6% Exchanges: 1/2 Fruit; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 2 Lean Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 1 1/2 MyPyramid Servings: 1/4 c Fruits, 2 oz-equivalents Meat & Beans
    *% Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

So this was the recipe I tried. Simple? You betcha. Delicious? Hmm-- kinda, but I think I overcooked the pork chops.
    However, the aroma was heavenly.
    It was good, but I think it could be better -- probably just my sad skills made it not as good as it could be.
    I did read some of the comments from other people -- most raved about it. One said it wasn't spicy enough, or didn't have enough flavor.
    But a good source of lean protien and some fruit.
    I would make it again.
  • crystalscott0906
    Options

thanks!...they were definately a lot happier after that :)
  • crystalscott0906
    Options
    ok so i am still searching for a NEW recipe but while i am doing that i wanted to share an old one that i use all the time that i thought maybe someone else would like. me and my mom kind of threw it together and absolutely love it.

Turkey/ Vegetable meatloaf

1 lb white meat ground turkey
    1 yellow squash
    1 zuccini squash
    3 cloves of garlic
    1/4 - 1/2 onion (depending on your taste)
    breadcrumbs (can use oats instead if you want)
    1 egg (or egg white)
    spinach leaves
    extra virgin olive oil
    turkey bacon (optional)
    honey bbq sauce (optional)

Pre heat oven to 350
    take out 9x11 glass baking dish - cover with aluminum foil

In large bowl mix turkey and egg...set aside

dice squash, garlic, and onions
    saute squash, onions, and garlic in frying pan with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (just enough to make sure vegies dont stick). add in spinach leaves and let them wilt. saute for a few minutes until cooked.
    Place veggies in freezer for 5 min to cool.
    add veggies to turkey and mix well
    add small amount of bread crumbs (1/4 or less - just to firm up mixture - will still be pretty gooey)
    put in baking dish and mold into a loaf shape
    add small amount of bbq sauce to top (optional)
    add slices of turkey bacon to top (optional)
    bake for 60 minutes.

i dont know the nutritional value, but i will normally do a salad with it and you get all your vegies and protein together so no sides are really needed. if you dont like the vegeies that i used pretty much anything can be subsituted in :) let me know if you guys have any questions on the recipe and let me know if you liked it :)
  • Iffer75
    Options

i had green beans brocolli and asparagus

Sounds really good. I will have to give it a try. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    So this was the recipe I tried. Simple? You betcha. Delicious? Hmm-- kinda, but I think I overcooked the pork chops.
    However, the aroma was heavenly.
    It was good, but I think it could be better -- probably just my sad skills made it not as good as it could be.
    I did read some of the comments from other people -- most raved about it. One said it wasn't spicy enough, or didn't have enough flavor.
    But a good source of lean protien and some fruit.
    I would make it again.

That actually sounds really yummy, I will have to give it a try. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options

thanks!...they were definately a lot happier after that :)

I am glad they enjoyed their walk. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Where is everybody? How is everyone doing this week?