Running Shoes...Help!

Options
Any runners out there????
I am going to have to buy some new running shoes...
The tops of my feet have been hurting when I wear my Nike's and I'm noticing that I'm getting some symptoms of shin splints. So, Im hoping that if I switch shoes....it'll fix that!
I've been looking at barefoot runners.
Merrell and Saucony are two that are top on my list...
Anybody have any suggestions?
Or anything to say about Merrell or Saucony.
I've been running about 3-5 miles a day.
Hoping to increase my mileage too.
Thanks guys!

Replies

• cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Go to a proper running shoe store and get fitted by someone that knows what they are doing. You need to determine your arch and degree of pronation to be properly fitted. Picking brands alone won't fix the problem unless you get really lucky.
  • angcubby
    angcubby Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Common sense. Shoulda thought of that first. lol. :)
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Go to a proper running shoe store and get fitted by someone that knows what they are doing. You need to determine your arch and degree of pronation to be properly fitted. Picking brands alone won't fix the problem unless you get really lucky.

Except, if they have a tread mill try them out and then follow your instinct. I did today after being told there were 2 pairs "perfect" for my stride and my foot. Not so perfect. I knew there was something wrong and put back both. And I'll be danged if the bottom of my foot in the arch isn't burning like crazy right now. And my right ankle is achy like when I accidentally twist it a little, but I didn't during my run today (was on a treadmill at work. I got the feeling they were more interested in upselling than they were my foot issues. They know some about the shoes, but not everything.

I'm thinking of heading to the store in Orlando. Last time I was there, they seemed very, very knowledgeable.

BTW, I have an extra wide foot and my arch is a bit more forward than most.

Good luck!!
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I agree that a running store expert can help buy the right shoes. The debate about barefoot or minimalist shoes is as heated a debate as carbs or no carbs. Barefoot shoes will exert more strain on the lower calf and ankle muscles and connective tissue so start slowly. If you have access to a school football field with synthetic turf then try running 100 yard strides (almost full speed) barefoot (literally). Run barefoot strides for a few weeks and your legs will get used to the barefoot shoes.

Best of luck!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Which saucony are you considering ? I have the nirvana I like them but the reviews are correct they blister the back of my heal cuz they rise too high.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i like the new balance minimus shoes for running.
  • philfinallyfit
    philfinallyfit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    After tons of trial and error and research too, I found Brooks and Asics to be the best out there. However, individuals are all different. Try to find an independent running specialty store vs a chain that claims to have expertise but may not. For some, it's all about the sale. But for the purists, it's about the art form.
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I run in the Merrell Pace Glove minimalist shoe. I love them, both for the trails and the road. Amazing feel and good traction. Absolutely build up to them slowly if you go the barefoot route. Now that I am used to them, I won't go back!
  • SadieToughLady
    Options
    Go to a running store. You may pay a little more than a sporting goods store, but it is well worth it. I overpronate and would have never known this until I went to the running shoe store. I got fitted with some great shoes and the problems I was having were gone.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I love love love my Brooks Pure Connect. They are a minimalist shoe, and the only problem I had with them is that they were sized really small. I normally buy an 8 in running shoes, but in these I got an 8.5.

I will echo what others have said, go to a running store like Road Runner Sports. And if you haven't been running in a minimalist shoe, it can take some getting used to. I went from a Saucony Pro Guide into one, and my legs felt the difference. Now I wouldn't dream of running anything heavier.

Good luck!
  • holliph
    holliph Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    no only will having the proper fit for your arch, heel and how you strike work ...changing the way you lace your shoes will help tons too...runners world has all kinds of tutorials on how to change your lacing for different situations.
    I used to having rubbing across the top of my foot, that is no longer an issue.
    sometimes a person has to be fitted professionally for orthodics if you have a serious issue with incorrect stride and it is causing repeat injury...the orthodics will help align hips/spine which again can change how you run & your strike when your foot comes down. (do not do the dr scholl's) I'm talking seeing a sports med doc to get the real deal to make sure it fits your arch, it set for your heel, toes. If you roll in or out...
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I just bought the brooks gts 12 from a specialty running store and i absolutely love them, but i would for sure go get fitted and ask to test run them , its also about comfort. good luck!
  • holliph
    holliph Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    no only will having the proper fit for your arch, heel and how you strike work ...changing the way you lace your shoes will help tons too...runners world has all kinds of tutorials on how to change your lacing for different situations.
    I used to having rubbing across the top of my foot, that is no longer an issue.
    sometimes a person has to be fitted professionally for orthodics if you have a serious issue with incorrect stride and it is causing repeat injury...the orthodics will help align hips/spine which again can change how you run & your strike when your foot comes down. (do not do the dr scholl's) I'm talking seeing a sports med doc to get the real deal to make sure it fits your arch, it set for your heel, toes. If you roll in or out...
    almost forgot when & if you do get orthodics take out the inside sole of your running shoes that you buy and make sure to put in your custom orthodics
  • angcubby
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've been looking at Merrells Barefoot Run Pace Glove, the Merrell Barefoot Lithe Glove and the Saucony Kinvara 3...But I definitely plan on going to get some pro advice and get fitted for proper runners.
    I'm really excited about finding some good shoes to run in. I had tried running in Vibram ff a couple of years ago...but they were a size too small and rubbed against my ankles. So, Im hoping to try the a minimalist shoe that fits right. I'm just starting to run, so I know I have a lot to learn about what is the right shoe for me. I just hope that this will fix the pain that I have been having. Thanks again!
  • angcubby
    Options
    I ended up with the Merrell Barefoot Run Pace Glove.
    OMG.
    I feel like I can run a million miles!
    These things are amazing!
    Super light. Super comfy.
    No more pain.
    Really happy with these shoes.
    :)
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I love love love my Brooks Pure Connect. They are a minimalist shoe, and the only problem I had with them is that they were sized really small. I normally buy an 8 in running shoes, but in these I got an 8.5.

I will echo what others have said, go to a running store like Road Runner Sports. And if you haven't been running in a minimalist shoe, it can take some getting used to. I went from a Saucony Pro Guide into one, and my legs felt the difference. Now I wouldn't dream of running anything heavier.

Good luck!

I'm a Brooks Pure Connect addict too! I ran my last marathon in them a month after they were released. I'm on pair #2. They are the best fitting shoe I have ever had.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I ended up with the Merrell Barefoot Run Pace Glove.
    OMG.
    I feel like I can run a million miles!
    These things are amazing!
    Super light. Super comfy.
    No more pain.
    Really happy with these shoes.
    :)

Really happy for you too!!! :drinker:
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store when I started the C25K program and they had me run on a treadmill and they recorded me running- then showed me on the video how badly I over pronate and fitted me with some Brooks. So happy that I did that- expensive but my feet thank me.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Barefoot shoes will exert more strain on the lower calf and ankle muscles and connective tissue so start slowly.

^^What he said.