Running vs. swimming

Options
Okay so I joined my schools cross country team and have been jogging nearly every day for the last week and a half. Next week my family is going on vacation to visit an uncle in another state. Mom does t really feel comfortable having me run in an unfamiliar place, but I only have 7 weeks of training left before the first practice and if I stop running I'll lose what I have and it will be hard to start again. He has a pool and my mom suggested I swim laps instead. I'm thinking of just running around the block but which would be better?

Replies

• tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Swimming to train for cross country running is like playing tennis to train for the football team. It is not going to help you run. I say run around the block..... or get your mom to bring a bike and you can run while she bikes with you for safety.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Swimming is good exercise, but unless you are already a swimmer, you won't have the stroke mechanics or muscle endurance to do really effective workouts--it's not really something you can pick up in a couple of days.

Depending on the place, you might be able to set up a "lap" course that keeps you close to home. Boring? Probably, but at least a workable substitute.

Or you could tell your mother if she REALLY loved you, she would follow you in a car or on a bike to keep you safe while working out (and carry water and snacks as well) .....:bigsmile:

Keep in mind, you wouldn't have to run every day. 2 runs, 3 tops, would allow you to maintain your fitness until you get home.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Do interval training. Basically short sprints followed by rest, then repeat the cycle. There's been lots of studies showing that such training can help increase your ability to run faster, longer in endurance races such as cross country meets.

You should be able to do this by staying just in front of the house, so no need to worry about being in danger, etc. Talk to your coach about it, but I have a feeling this may work for you.
  • clindy33
    clindy33 Posts: 12
    Options
    Yeah I agree that swimming won't help me train for running. I used to be on the swim team so it wouldn't be too bad. I can ask my cousin, used to be in the navy and is now a cop, to maybe run with me. I'll figure it out, but I'm determined to do good at the first cross country practice! It was recommended I be able to go 30 mins nonstop. I can jog about 23 mins nonstop which is a huge improvement for me. So I usually don't run super long but I go almost every day since most of the girls go 40 mins nonstop I figured going for 15-20 mins a day until I bring it up a little more wouldn't hurt me too much. Thanks for the advice! I tried researching it online and got mixed answers... Plus you can never trust the Internet :p