C25K question

Ok - I have a question and I want an honest answer - and not just what you think I want to hear please! :)

I started the C25K program a few weeks ago - and was running 3x per week and doing the run no problems through Week 3. I started Week 4 this past week and it has definitely been much harder for me. In fact - I have done Week 4 Day 1 about 4 times now. The runs are basically 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes. But the app I'm using for my phone obviously takes distance into account which is a good thing I know! But since I'm slow - in the 3 minutes I'm running .24-.26 which is no problem - but the 5 minute portion - I should be running .5 mile - but I'm running closer to .36 - yes I'm very slow! Anyway - so my 5 minute portion turns into a 6 or 7 minute portion. Which apparently is way too much for me at this level. So like I said - I haven't been able to complete that last 5 minute run. So today I watched the time intervals and I stopped running at 5 minutes and started "fast walking" until the distance was complete.

So my question is - honestly - am I ready to move to Week 4 Day 2 - or should I stay at Week 4 Day 1 until I can run the distance interval and not just the time.

Be kind! :)

Sherry

Replies

• sipseyab
    sipseyab Posts: 56 Member
    If I were you, I'd pay more attention to the time spent running as opposed to the distance. Running slow is fine. Even if you aren't able to run the distance recommended at the end of each week, you've gradually increased the time you are able to run. Build up to 30 minutes of running, regardless of the distance. You can gradually increase your speed as you gain fitness.

Good luck!
  • rachaela06
    rachaela06 Posts: 167
    If I were you, I'd pay more attention to the time spent running as opposed to the distance. Running slow is fine. Even if you aren't able to run the distance recommended at the end of each week, you've gradually increased the time you are able to run. Build up to 30 minutes of running, regardless of the distance. You can gradually increase your speed as you gain fitness.

Good luck!
    ^^^^ This!!!
  • dmolnaraz
    dmolnaraz Posts: 127 Member
    I'm in the middle of week 6 and am also a very slow runner. I decided to just focus on time for right now. Once I am through the program using time, I am going to work on distance and once I have that I will work on speed. I am only focusing on one thing at a time so my body gets used to running with out over doing it.

The other option I've heard people do is to focus on time through all the interval weeks (1-6) and then go to the distance and not worry about time.

Good luck.
  • dellalyn
    dellalyn Posts: 41

Good luck!

I totally agree!
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member

Good luck!

Agree!
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member

Good luck!

This! I'm also on week 4 but will be doing day 3 tomorrow. I have not had issues with it because I pace myself and focus on my breathing, I do not worry about distance or time, I just focus on finishing the podcast.

Whats the rush? Work on your form and endurance, speed and distance will follow!
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    I've finally made it to Week 8 and I'm pretty slow. I do the treadmill at 4.4 MPH, but when I started the program, I started running at 4.1 MPH. I repeated a lot of days because I didn't think I was ready for the longer runs (I was on day 3 of week 7 for almost 2 weeks). My runs are now 28 minutes each. Once I complete Week 9, I'm going to focus on building up my speed incrementally. Good luck to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    I agree with everyone above. Start by following the times and not worrying about distance. Maybe do one more day at your current day then move on :)

I did C2k and am not training for half marathon. I did my first 5k in 31 mins but every time I have increased speed (have my 4th this weekend). I am expecting to be in the 28 min range now so the speed will come with time. :)

Good luck!
  • CarrieMyPhilos
    CarrieMyPhilos Posts: 38 Member
    But the app I'm using for my phone obviously takes distance into account which is a good thing I know! But since I'm slow - in the 3 minutes I'm running .24-.26 which is no problem - but the 5 minute portion - I should be running .5 mile - but I'm running closer to .36 - yes I'm very slow! Anyway - so my 5 minute portion turns into a 6 or 7 minute portion.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying the app is extending your run time from 5 minutes to 6 or 7 minutes, because you haven't covered its expected distance within 5 minutes?

Which app is it, and is there a way to look at its settings? I use the c25k app for Android and haven't noticed this problem, though I'm in week 2, not week 3 yet. Perhaps it's set to distance rather than time by mistake? If you can't trust it, I would suggest either wearing a watch so you can follow the actual time, or checking out another app, or even seeing if there's an update for the app you have.

Hope that helps a bit - I think it's easier to measure by time, rather than distance, this early in the game. If the other days of that particular week are the same as day 1, I don't see any reason to keep from moving on within the week. If you need to repeat the full week at the end, do that; I'm a fan of repeating full weeks so that I feel like I'm making SOME progress (moving from day 1 to days 2 and 3, and then coming back to day 1 of that same week again).

Overall, listen to your body - challenge yourself, but don't push yourself into an injury just because the app says you haven't run enough.

(edit for spelling)
  • KJanae87
    KJanae87 Posts: 54
    Week 4 killed me too. I had to repete it. I would focus more on the time too. Run the 3, 5, 3, 5, minutes and walk between. I don't have the app, I just use the times for the treadmill version but I do it inside and outside. I took a few days off out of frustrations and to my surprise when I started back up I got through the last day of week 4 in a breeze and started in finished week 5 in just 3 days. Even the 20 minute run was a breeze for me. I think I needed a few days break because it was so much easier for me after a couple days off all together. Good luck.
  • KJanae87
    KJanae87 Posts: 54
    I also run very slow too. :( But I am hopeing to work on speed once I finish, I'm on week 7.
  • kristyb1982
    kristyb1982 Posts: 21 Member
    I'm on W3D2 and I've been focusing on time. I've downloaded playlists from c25kplaylists.com. The music is kind of crappy, but it has voice prompts telling you when to walk and when to run. Most days, it tells you when you are halfway done and when you are on your last interval of jogging, which I REALLY need to hear sometimes! You can also make your own playlists with the voice prompts with an itunes download. The playlists just make it so much easier to run for time instead of distance. Like the others have said, work up to jogging for the 30 minutes, then start working on speed. Good luck to you!
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member

Good luck!

^^^^^^ This is it! ^^^^^^

Don't focus on the distance, focus on your time. You're building endurance and it takes time to build speed. I'm actually doing hill sprints to help build leg strength, speed and endurance. Btw I'm on week 9 day 3 and I don't care if I have to walk sometimes...
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member

Good luck!

Yes, I agree. I just started week 4 also. I don't think my app tracks distance, just time. you could try a new app. I have no idea how far I made it in the 5 min. run I as just stoked I made it! I'll find out tomorrow as I'll be running a track. I run the same pace as you though. 3 min. gets me all the way around the track.
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    I also don't worry about distance, that can be worked on later!!
  • tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Thank you everyone! I thought that since I actually ran the entire "time" distance today - that I felt good about moving on for Friday (my next running day). So I appreciate your feedback. The app I use is Run Double - I really like the app - I have the Sirius XM smartphone app and run to my satellite stations (I actually love my 80's on 8 for running) in the background while the "voice" tells me when to walk and run.

I am not in a rush - I hope everyone understands that - I am in this for the long haul and will repeat as many weeks as I need to so I can eventually run the 30 minutes at whatever pace. I'm very good with that. So since I did the runs today (3,5,3,5) without having to stop before the time interval ended - I feel good about moving to the Day 2 run now.

Thank you for your support and advice! :) I love it!

Sherry