Cancelling my gym membership

Options
Yes...I am...I really can't afford this anymore. Yes, it's only 30 bucks per month, but I'm so freaking broke. Plus I just bought a new car so now I have those payments to make! I'm wasting my money...I NEVER go to the gym. I HATE IT. The gym just makes me irritable, doesn't make me feel good, and I dread it all day before I go, and everyday...\

My alternative exercise is walking at a fast pace at the park. I burn about the same amount of calories walking, as I would in an hour of torture at the gym...It just works better for me. I just don't know what I will do in the winter or when it's too hot outside though. lol Any suggestions?

Replies

• DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I cancelled my membership and a week later called them back. I find going in the morning before work helps so I don't hate the idea of going after. I also walk every day at home. I still do during the winter. I bundle up and go! South Dakota sucks in the winter but no reason I can't get out for 20 minutes or more. I also use you tube to get work out ideas at home. Best part is its free! I have weights up to 25lbs, bands, and a few extra free weights. Maybe check eBay or Walmart for workout DVD's. If you have stairs at home you can add in running up and down. I add that in to my home workouts between sets. Keeps my heart rate going. However I still love the gym! It's the only "me" time I get from my house and kids.
  • jenkidney
    jenkidney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Do you have a mall near you? I know that a lot of people in my area walk the mall for their workout. Maybe that would be an option for you?
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have found I love exercising outside! I could go to the gym, but the "family" room is a joke and I'm not arranging babysitting for every workout. I do a 30 min. DVD 3 days a week and I take my kids to the track 3 days a week. They play in the field while I run with the baby in the stroller. I also walk or ride my bike, kids in tow, as many places as possible. We all enjoy it and my kids have a great time participating with me.
  • vklebanova
    vklebanova Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm with you but I'm replacing my gym membership with Insanity DVDs.. I couldn't afford both so I cancelled one. I plan on selling the DVDs once I'm done.. Used ones go for like 80% of the cost of the original so its not so bad.

Make the best of it and go to walmart for some dumb bells :)
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You do what is right for you! If you're into walking, try Leslie Sansone DVDs on rainy days. Amazon has them or EBay may be even cheaper.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I cancelled mine for the summer due to the cost as well. I miss it like *crazy*. But, I've been doing the C25K, and using the high school track located close to us. I run the bleachers and do calisthenics there too. I'll probably go back to the gym this winter if I can afford it. But, if not, I'll probably resort to exercise DVD's. I have a horrible time exercising at home though. Loving the outdoors this summer!
  • Keightisgr8
    Keightisgr8 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ESeEZD_OY

reminds me of friends. hahahaha.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    scour craigslist for a treadmill...
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Go and buy Jillian Michaels "30 day shred" at Target which will be about $9. This is a GREAT way to get a fantastic workout in as it is circuit training and helps to burn fat and build muscle. The BEST part is that it is a 20 minute workout where you have the potential to burn big!! This workout will burn more than HOURS at the gym. When you log it under exercise journal use "circuit training"

If it's hard to start just HANG IN THERE! It will get easier, and don't worry about doing it EVERYDAY... just think of it as a great workout at home that you can do quickly and effectively.

If you don't have weights just use books

;) good luck!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I do everything at home or outside. And my workouts are better for me than anything at some health club.
    I bike, hike, play tennis, swim, spar and do loads of calisthenics.
    I even bought a 60 lb weighted vest I wear while working around the house to count cleaning or yard work as exercise.
    Gyms are fine if that's your thing.
    COUNT ME OUT!
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I know where you are coming from...you have to find what works for you!

I love my new gym...its like a resort. I now look at working out as a time of relaxation vs.a chore. But w/ a indoor/outdoor pool, steam and sauna...that helps! :) Maybe change gym that offers things you like. I even got into yoga and pilates and take an occassional Zumba.

I also just invested in a 10 lb Kettle bell and found cool Youtube free videos, also hulu.com has online free workouts! Jullian Michaels(Biggest loser trainer)-found a $4 circuit DVD at Marshalls. Also bought new 5lb dumbells and some 1lb arm/leg weights, yoga matt too. So when I cant get to the gym I can workout at home. I just like variety and the days I cant make it to the gym, I can get a quik workout in and burn 150-200 cals.

Find what works for you; within your budget! Remember, this is a lifestyle change, but have fun doing it!

As my favorite Personal Trainer says: THE WORLD IS YOUR GYM!! *He works all of his clients oudoors! check it out! http://www.hulu.com/search?query=Operation+Osmin&st=0&fs=null

Happy Journey!
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I can't afford one either. I would recommend walking/bike riding outside (I know it's hot - it kills me too!) or doing a dvd inside. I found a website on pinterest that has all the popular workouts on it..it links you right to a video. (Insanity, p90x, 30 Day Shred are 3 I remember.) I think it is absolutely possible to be successful without the gym!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I cancelled my membership and a week later called them back. I find going in the morning before work helps so I don't hate the idea of going after. I also walk every day at home. I still do during the winter. I bundle up and go! South Dakota sucks in the winter but no reason I can't get out for 20 minutes or more. I also use you tube to get work out ideas at home. Best part is its free! I have weights up to 25lbs, bands, and a few extra free weights. Maybe check eBay or Walmart for workout DVD's. If you have stairs at home you can add in running up and down. I add that in to my home workouts between sets. Keeps my heart rate going. However I still love the gym! It's the only "me" time I get from my house and kids.

You're totally my hero for two reasons:

1. You're an early riser. I always admire people who have the ability to wake up early enough to work out before they start their day. Although, I'm not particularly fond of living in the same household as an early riser. LOL

2. I love your attitude about not letting harsh weather stop you from doing what needs to be done. :flowerforyou:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Can't imagine cancelling my gym membership...It's my understanding that weigh training is such an awesome way to really get fit and lose fat. I am loving my weight training right now...
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have joined far too many gyms over the years so I don't do that anymore. I started running.. (with couch to 5k) and also bike and go for walks etc. I'm also doing short burst workouts in my living room and you can find lots of good workout routines stuff on the internet.

I gotta say I've been way more consistent in my workouts this way than I ever was when I was trying to be a diligent gym girl.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    There's alot you can do without going to the gym, like jogging and dieting. The only advantage gyms have are the larger variety of weight training equipment. I actually have a home gym but find it depressing to work out in because it is dark and dingy. I like the gym near my house. It has lots of windows for natural lite to shine thru and is airy and it is located near the bayshore. If you don't strngth train, you can save some money.
  • LoFoSho100
    LoFoSho100 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Do you have a YMCA near you?
    I work for a program affiliated with the Y. They recently implemented a program called "Open Doors". Anyone can go in and apply for assistance with gym membership based on their income vs. expenses. They will adjust your fees based on your situation. If they number that they come up with still isn't in your budget, you just tell that that! They will set up an interview with you and come to an agreement on the membership cost (or lack thereof). The Y is great! There are people of all ages, shapes, and fitness levels, all the fitness classes are free, they have nice/new equipment, and most locations have olympic sized pools!
  • serentity78
    serentity78 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about canceling mine but mine is super cheap its just hard to get there with the kids and been doing workout videos at home. I would suggest looking into that find a few you like to change it up.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i suggest zumba. great workouts, many dvds, and sweat buckets every time i do it.
  • bettyacedog
    bettyacedog Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Get a dog. Great motivational tools and always eager for a walk or run. Ours let me know when I have missed their exercise.:happy: