Is eating healthy really more expensive?

Options
I went to Mcdonalds a few days back and ordered a medium meal....almost $7.50....So it really bugs me when fat people (i'm fat myself, so nobody freak out) use the excuse they can't eat healthier because it costs too much. Also, before i started measuring my food, I would use a whole chicken breast as my portion size. Now i cut one in half and me and my dad share it, so there is cost going down just from portion control too. And I also have gotten a lot of "scratch" foods instead of already packaged things, which is cheaper as well. Is eating healthy more time consuming? sure....you have to plan out your meals and actually go grocery shopping and prep/measure your foods....is it more expensive? To me, not really. Also, for the financial struggling people out there I LOVE this website!!! You should def check it out!

http://www.5dollardinners.com/

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I agree a healthy lifestyle is not more expensive its actually cheaper, people who smoke and like to drink spend a lot of money on that kind of stuff when you live healthy you avoid alchohol because of the empty calories, staying away from restraunts saves money and understanding how much your body actually needs saves you from overeating your spot on keep up the good work...except for the fast food...
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I agree a healthy lifestyle is not more expensive its actually cheaper, people who smoke and like to drink spend a lot of money on that kind of stuff when you live healthy you avoid alchohol because of the empty calories, staying away from restraunts saves money and understanding how much your body actually needs saves you from overeating your spot on keep up the good work...except for the fast food...

Lol well...last week i was NOT being calorie conscious....but i still will eat out, jsut in a better way. I just don't like people who make excuses of not eating better because of economical issues
  • crazyjlyn
    crazyjlyn Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I find it much much cheaper actually! Fruits and veggies are really inexpensive, and I don't buy much pre packaged crazily processed stuff.

IMHO, its just an excuse (it use to be one if mine)
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    half a chicken breast?? what the!!? i eat at least two a day.
  • carloc
    carloc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Aside for either being cheaper or the same cost, I have found that going to the store and thinking about what you are going to eat, how you are going to cook it etc teaches us so much about the reasons we eat the food we do. Learning about the annotates of eating healthy is a great education. And I have found that I am enjoying cooking cooking and spending the extra time in the kitchen and as a result I enjoy the food even more.

In the end it's a choice we make, better to spend extra in good food and avoid potential expensive medical bills in the future.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    half a chicken breast?? what the!!? i eat at least two a day.

Well i measure it out to a 6 ounce serving....and the typical chicken breast is usually 10-12 ounces
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I think it is a common misconception that eating healthy is expensive. Sure if you want to eat faux 'healthy' branded processed rubbish like Lean Cuisine, Jenny Craig or whatever the latest fad 'health' food is.

However if you have half a brain, the most investment eating healthy is going to cost you is time - and in my opinion it's time well spent. So what if you can throw a lean cuisine in the microwave... it's full of rubbish. Takes no effort to make an interesting and healthy salad, or cook a hearty healthy and natural dinner! Pulses are cheap and powerhouses for nutrition too. As are whole grains, nuts, seeds, you name it basically.

Fast food has been the undoing of our generation in my opinion!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I agree and have often thought about this. There is an inexpensive and an expensive way to do just about anything. What most people think about when making this comment are the pre-packaged deals like weight watchers and lean cuisine.. There is a multi-million dollar diet industry just begging for you hard earned cash.. Add to that all the Plexus slim and Advocare products as well as the South beach, atkins, etc... you get my drift. But eating a healthy meal really does not have to be all that expensive ... if you do it the old fashioned way... Excuses are a dime a dozen... Thanks for debunking one more excuse ...
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    I think it is a common misconception that eating healthy is expensive. Sure if you want to eat faux 'healthy' branded processed rubbish like Lean Cuisine, Jenny Craig or whatever the latest fad 'health' food is.

However if you have half a brain, the most investment eating healthy is going to cost you is time - and in my opinion it's time well spent. So what if you can throw a lean cuisine in the microwave... it's full of rubbish. Takes no effort to make an interesting and healthy salad, or cook a hearty healthy and natural dinner! Pulses are cheap and powerhouses for nutrition too. As are whole grains, nuts, seeds, you name it basically.

Fast food has been the undoing of our generation in my opinion!

One thing i do love thats freezer food is lean pockets....but i couldn't do lean cuisine because i would still be hungry after eating it because it has like 3 little cubes of chicken and 5 pieces of pasta....only a toddler could get full off of one of those
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My grocery bill is about 900 a month (sometimes more) for a family of 4 but I buy everything organic so that ups it right there. We rarely eat out so that includes all food for the month (lunches get packed for work and school.) I'm vegan but my family is not so I do buy free range grass fed organic meat for them occasionally ($$$.) We eat a TON of produce too. I just bought $60 worth at a local farm and it was gone in 2 days. LOL

It's worth it though, think of it as health insurance. In the LONG RUN, it's cheaper to eat healthy. It will save on prescriptions and a bunch of other crap unhealthy people will end up having to pay for...
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    eating healthy to me = more home-cooked meals.

Fruits don't cost alot.

Produce don't cost alot especially if you hit farmers market but even if you don't its still not that much

Chicken don't cost alot. You don't have to just buy chicken breast you know? drumsticks are what 99 cents per lb? chicken legs are like 79 cents /lb?

Eating at home and eating healthy is very cheap. You just gotta know what to cook. I make an AWESOME! lentil soup that I often eat as a meal because its very earthy and even with TONS of fiber, its low on calories. The dang thing costs me like 20-35 cents per serving

My typical meals are about 75-90 cents per meal btw
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Good post :- Some junk food is cheap of course, but whether eating healthy is expensive or not, you'll save a lot more money in the long run by giving yourself a far better chance of avoiding health problems and being able to function better in life by eating properly.

Oh - one thing I will disagree with - eat as much chicken breast as you like - that's got virtually no fat, just protein. Unless you got kdney problems, then that's a great food to eat both to fill you up and conserve your muscle when trying to lose fat. :wink:
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    Good post :- Some junk food is cheap of course, but whether eating healthy is expensive or not, you'll save a lot more money in the long run by giving yourself a far better chance of avoiding health problems and being able to function better in life by eating properly.

Oh - one thing I will disagree with - eat as much chicken breast as you like - that's got virtually no fat, just protein. Unless you got kdney problems, then that's a great food to eat both to fill you up and conserve your muscle when trying to lose fat. :wink:

well....sometimes every once in a while ill have a whole breast, if ive worked out and saved up enough cals for the day. But most days i don't have the cals to spare
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    a little bag of chips costs $1....but there is not way you get full off a small bag of chips and it has 180 cals. So, some may be cheaper, but you have to buy more to fill you up. Now things like mcdoubles or other dollar menu items I can see people making the arguement over....but you get that, a soda and a fry and things add up, then times by 4 or however many you have in the fam, it gets expensive.
  • alanajoelle
    Options
    I disagree with everyone who disagrees that eating healthfully is cheaper.

At least where I'm from, if I try to buy "healthy" food for a few days, like fruit, meat, vegetables, whole grains, my budget is gone before I know it. This isn't from Lean Cuisine, Weight Watchers, etc. It's from buying whole foods to cook and prepare at home (which also costs a lot--in time, and in money to buy the equipment, not to mention the gas and electricity to cook). Unhealthy stuff is so much cheaper, and there's a simple reason: because our government subsides corn, wheat, and soy, while fruits and vegetables are considered specialty items that cost a lot more to grow, and then to buy.

It's not a myth that junk food is exponentially cheaper--it's a fact.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I agree that it seems to be cheaper. One of my favorite dinners is lentils with sauteed veggies. Pretty sure it comes out to under $1 for my whole dinner that keeps me full for hours! Compare that to the $4 I used to spend on dinner from fast food places all the time.

However, there is something I do find interesting here. I know a while back people were criticizing people on food stamps for using them to buy unhealthy foods. So a professional chef did a study in which he tried to cook healthy meals with the amount of money people on food stamps were getting. He couldn't do it! Apparently he proved that they really couldn't afford to buy healthier foods. I wish I had the link to the study on hand. Honestly I don't get it!
  • Jamee_J
    Jamee_J Posts: 63
    Options
    My initial cost of changing lifestyles sucked! But, that being said I have gotten more meals out of what I buy. Not just prossessed junk crap. The amount of money we save on eating out easily makes up the difference. Oh and the amount we save on soda pays for my gym membership! And a few other things. Where there is a will there is a way!
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    hmmm, i think it depends if someone has access to fresh produce. i think you just gotta be creative and learn how to bargain shop to really stretch that dollar to make tasty, healthy meals.

don't get me started on organic though cuz not everyone can afford financially to eat organically.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    Is healthier food cheaper than McD's? Yes but I don't know anyone who has fast food every day.

Now compare the healthier stuff to the processed junk you can get at your local grocery store like Ramen, Hamburger Helper, Mac and cheese.. etc., is the healthier foods more expensive compared to those? Yes.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    When you are like me and have no idea how to cook, it is very expensive. I spent more money than i'd like to say on just a few bags of groceries