HOW a body knows its the next day of new calories eaten

Options

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I am almost lost as how to ask this ? properly but I will try my best to put forth what I need an understanding of:

Ok, for EXAMPLE:
    Say I reached a total of 1500 calories by 7pm and decided I am not gonna eat ne more cals until the next day.
    So, my ? is when is the next day to the BODY? does it automatically know ok around mid-night or 5am is the so called NEXT DAY?
    To then start fresh again on calorie intake?
    Or what if I ate 1500 for my day then fell asleep for 4 hours as a nap during mid day or sumthing.
    Since the body burns calories when you sleep. Would I once again be under 1500 calories?
    BASICALLY WHEN AND HOW LONG DOES THE BODY KNOW WHEN ITS THE NEXT DAY TO START OVER FRESH TO TAKE IN THE NEW CALORIES FOR THE DAY STARTING FROM 1 CALORIE TO WHATEVER THE ENDING CALORIE GOAL IS PER DAY?

DOES NE ONE KNO? :)

You are taking it all too literally :flowerforyou:

It does not know, only you know when the next day end, begins. The ONLY guide the body will have is when you go to bed and get continual hours (say seven, eight etc) without consuming any food or drink. This is actually a "fast", hence why breakfast is "breaking the fast" and is deemed quite important.

YOUR day will end and the next one begin at midnight, your time. With regards to your body though, no it does not know it just continues working regardless but will use that nighttime fast as a general guide.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Its not that the body knows a 24 hour period, it is actually the opposite. As humans we've pretty much organised our world around the orbit of the sun, i.e. a day in time, that happens to be 24hrs so it makes sense for guidelines on calorie consumption to also be based around a 24 hour period. If our day was actually 36 hours long, then we'd likely still have daily targets but those targets would be higher (assuming in said imaginary world our bodies are even the same).

I'm like totally freaking out right now... parallel universe man!! haha

LMAO! :laugh:
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

There goes the theory behind calorie cycling.

Calorie cycling???? Thought I'd heard of everything - but this is a new one for me - please explain?
    It's the practice of having higher and lower calorie days. The theory is the high, low, mid days will keep the metabolism "revved" up. Of course it's all bro science. It doesn't matter as long as you keep a weekly deficit.

I am even starting to think that carb cycling is a bunch of nonsense. When I make cycling I am talking about high, mid, low, high etc. I am starting to think it's much easier just to have set macros for say 6 days and the have one high day. Anyway, I am in another topic now.

I carb cycle... sort of... I have 4 low carb days then one regular day.... mainly so I can have a built in cheat day... it isn't to trick my body or anything... but just because I can do anything for 4 days... and I am fairly consistently loosing weight... I am finding that "dieting" is more of a mental thing than a physical thing :)
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Cool, if you get bored why not try pretending the day is 36 hours long... just for fun ;)

many of my days actually ARE 36 hours long... like today for example... I woke up at 1500 yesterday... I MIGHT make it to bed by 2100 tonight... maybe... I work 1900-0730... so....

I work nights...

plus I am not sure how to convince the computer here at mfp to let me have 36 hour days... without major reprogramming ;)

although it does seem like an interesting theory
  • LERHarvey
    LERHarvey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is this a joke? :/
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Like everyone before said, your body cannot tell how many you eat between today, tomorrow, etc. Worry about your weekly average. How it breaks down day-to-day is up to you. If there is a deficit, you will lose!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    You have to keep a calender somewhere you can see it, like on your desk, on the wall, or maybe even on a smartphone.

When you look at the calender and see that its the next day your body will subconsciously know to reset the calorie meter. Just remember to keep turning the pages at the end of each month.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    you can also look at a weeks worth of calories and not worry about it day to day. that way, if one day is 400 over you can spread the deficit to account for it over the other 6 days of that week
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    calories are a bank balance sheet - you eat 10000 cal in one meal you have gained 3lbs . theres no way of tricking it.

Just as when you take £100 out the bank at night when yer drunk - it will come to haunt you when you get the statement

No such thing as metabolism and tricks just more precise and accurate ways of accounting
  • AnnMystery
    AnnMystery Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to balance my life out as well.....I'm diabetic, and it went undiagnosed while I gained a bunch from high stress (4 elderly in family passing in a short 4 year period, then the grieving process, while I cared for them & 4 kids & husband who I ended up seperated from for 2 years after that) and I got little sleep, while eating all the wrong foods like coke-a-cola & sweet chocolate (a lot of emotional cravings, and trying to energy binge). :-( Now I have a terrible problem to deal with. I'm supposed to eat every 3 hours. But my sleep cycle is still a bit off. I now care for a 93 year old lady 2 nights a week. I have to be awake these nights which throws off my other nights. I can't stay awake the day after I watch her, so because I sleep during the day those days, I can't quite go to bed on time those nights. I'm trying to figure out how to get 8 hours of sleep which diabetes requires for healing & weight loss requires, and maintain the 3 hour diet. Some say 4 hours, but some suggested 3 hours is better for losing weight. On a perfect day if I eat breakfast at 6am snack at 9am lunch at 12pm snack at 3pm and Sup at 6pm. I could say another snack would be at 9pm but that is too close to bed for my taste. In fact since my husband gets up at 5am causing me to as well, my bed time needs to be 8:30... In a perfectly scheduled world. So My calorie load would obviously be in the day schedule. There is about 10 hormones or more maybe that affect weight loss. Several of these hormones are affected by quality of sleep, and stress. I notice the negative affect losing sleep is doing to me. Some of these hormones cause increase in appetite, or decrease depending on your sleep quality. They also effect what kind of calories you crave. Losing sleep literally increases stress which affects other hormones, and causes carb cravings. It is driving me crazy trying to lose weight, because I know how to in a perfect world... with diabetes I need that perfect world, ... but I'm not living in that perfect world. Even on good nights my 19 year old has a way of waking the house at 1:30am, or the dogs decide they have to go to the bathroom at 4:30 am.... just early enough that I can't get back to sleep and I lose an hour. What is the automatic response to low energy due to lack of sleep? Try to get energy out of food. :-( I think calorie cycling is a good idea because it helps you focus on small goals. A few days of strict diet a day to losen up a bit... but if you can't establish a decent schedule, then maybe creating 200 calorie mini-meals and allowing nothing else might work. That would be 6 mini-meals for a 1200 calorie daily diet. Start counting after your sleep schedule and end the count when sleep begins. If you are like me set an hour to help you count. My count starts at 6 am. That helps me avoid eating at 4:30 when the dog wakes me. If I absolutely have to do something I drink a cup 8oz of unsweet almond milk (35 calories) 1g good carbs no sugar-canceled out by 1g fiber anyway, and 2.5 gram good fats (poly and mono), and 1g protein. It tastes like regular milk to me. If you are counting fat grams instead of calories it may not be the best choice for you. If your schedule ends up like mine though... good luck. I do great for a couple weeks then I'm too tired, or I eat from emotions... & chose the wrong foods of course. Exercise helps stress, but when really stressed... it's pretty hard to unwind my brain enough to go for that leasure walk, or do yoga & I'm not in the mood for the more energy so intense work out seems wrong. But any of it does help. & that helps me sleep when stress tries to stop it. Also exercise lowers my blood sugar if it goes up. But I'm still trying to figure most of it out too. Mostly it's being consistently self disciplined and not allowing excuses. I can lose a good 25 pounds, then gain it right back by not doing anything right for a couple months. And no I really don't have a support system at all. That fact is usually what triggers the months I slow down. I love to exercise... just about any kind of exercise, but I don't have a regular exercise partener, and that would help. I have classes I attend now, because that forces me to keep closer to a schedule. My gym membership includes the classes. I do tai chi and yoga at the least every weekend. Those are light enough that I can force myself through them on little sleep, and they help me relax and destress. Then I try to walk everywhere I can. my record so far is 5 miles slow walking in one day. We window shopped. I can't say I never sat down, my feet & back... oh no, but the distance was 5 miles. I'm faster now. I did 4 miles the other day, and only stopped twice to sit down and rest. I get dropped off somewhere I like to go, like bowling, library, swimming pool, gym, the pier at the beach, or where ever, and after I do whatever, I walk home. That has helped tremendously. I do zumba or muscle toning classes when I can make it happen on my half hazard energy levels, But still the weight remains thus far. I know I eat more, when I'm more active, and I'm allowed to, to some degree, but with family food moods, tight budget, and my sleep recking my energy balance, I don't know how long this is going to take me to lose. I know I really must get on a schedule, and get control of my food choices & good calories. Hope I might have helped you some anyway.
  • lopezityler68
    lopezityler68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know this is old but I will still post my thoughts. Your body doesn't know. Your always burning calories "Sleeping or awake" Its how you eat over a period of time that determines if you will lose or gain. That's why one day of overeating will not have any major effect on your weight. It will go up on the scale but no long term effects would take place. Do it over and over then you can expect a change. I track by the week. Tracking this way gives me flexibility. If you want to try just multiply your daily goal by 7 to get your weekly total. But ya your body does not know day vs night.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I am almost lost as how to ask this ? properly but I will try my best to put forth what I need an understanding of:

Ok, for EXAMPLE:
    Say I reached a total of 1500 calories by 7pm and decided I am not gonna eat ne more cals until the next day.
    So, my ? is when is the next day to the BODY? does it automatically know ok around mid-night or 5am is the so called NEXT DAY?
    Or what if I ate 1500 for my day then fell asleep for 4 hours as a nap during mid day or sumthing.
    Since the body burns calories when you sleep. Would I once again be under 1500 calories?
    BASICALLY WHEN AND HOW LONG DOES THE BODY KNOW WHEN ITS THE NEXT DAY TO START OVER FRESH TO TAKE IN THE NEW CALORIES FOR THE DAY STARTING FROM 1 CALORIE TO WHATEVER THE ENDING CALORIE GOAL IS PER DAY?

It doesn't. Your body does not look at calories in/out on a daily basis - its a continuous cycle.
    THiS. For some reason people have this idea that metabolism stops when we go to sleep. There's a reason why you weigh less in the morning (if you sleep at night). Metabolism still runs the same whether you sleep or are awake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Interestingly enough, it's a lot (mostly) of sweat. Found that out in advanced human physiology during a research project. Also why you should change sheets and pillow cases out at least twice a week.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »

Ok, for EXAMPLE:

It doesn't. Your body does not look at calories in/out on a daily basis - its a continuous cycle.
    THiS. For some reason people have this idea that metabolism stops when we go to sleep. There's a reason why you weigh less in the morning (if you sleep at night). Metabolism still runs the same whether you sleep or are awake.

IDEA Fitness member

Interestingly enough, it's a lot (mostly) of sweat. Found that out in advanced human physiology during a research project. Also why you should change sheets and pillow cases out at least twice a week.

Don't forget drool. :D
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Ok, for EXAMPLE:

IDEA Fitness member

Don't forget drool. :D

Yep! I'm horrible about that too, probably a good cup or so when I sleep. I swear my spirit animal is a mastiff when it comes to slobber (at least when I sleep)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Ok, for EXAMPLE:

IDEA Fitness member

Nodding in agreement. If you don't change your sheets often enough you run the risk of re-absorbing the sweat calories.